Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Brushless option for Cliff Climber????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushless option for Cliff Climber????

A new brushless option for the c.c. ??http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...tro/intro4.htm

motor may not be the best for crawling.....
but the ESC is dual battery ......6-12NiMH cells up to 3s Lipo!

the more 380 stuff/ small scale 1/16,1/18,etc. the better I say

I want both!

Last edited by R/CMaxximus5.0; 04-13-2009 at 09:52 PM.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm sure that it would be a good setup, but a little pricey for 2 motors and ESC's. Castle Creations currently has 28mm dia. (about 380 size) motors in the works, and I would rather wait for those since there will be a wider range of kv's to choose from and more adjustability with their ESC's. I don't think the traxxas ESC has adjustable drag brakes, but being waterproof is definitely a piont in its favor.

I am still itching to drive the mini E-Revo.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
I'm sure that it would be a good setup, but a little pricey for 2 motors and ESC's. Castle Creations currently has 28mm dia. (about 380 size) motors in the works, and I would rather wait for those since there will be a wider range of kv's to choose from and more adjustability with their ESC's. I don't think the traxxas ESC has adjustable drag brakes, but being waterproof is definitely a piont in its favor.

I am still itching to drive the mini E-Revo.
do you think you could run 2 motors on this ESC?

Yea, I want both of them! -I am wondering if they are standard size NiMH cells or if they are 2/3A cells?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

While it is theoretically possible to run 2 brushless motors on a brushless ESC, the ESC wouldn't last very long, not because of the current draw, but because of the difference in timing. If the motors weren't turning EXACTLY the same and either motor EVER slipped, the ESC wouldn't know when to gate the SCR's on to create the three phase AC. Sensorless brushless ESC's use back emf to detect rotor position, and it is not possible for the circuit to reconcile two separate signals. It would effectively think that the rotor was in two places at the same time, or part of the signal would be filtered out and there is no way to know which part of the signal from either motor would be lost. Email Joe Ford from castle creations for a more detailed explanation.

So, I guess the short answer is no.

I am only planning on getting the mini E-Revo, but I have to unload some stuff on eBay before I do. The wife thinks 36 RC vehicles is too much, but she fails to realize that the kids have 5, and she has 14, but it only counts when I want something new.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
Yea, I want both of them! -I am wondering if they are standard size NiMH cells or if they are 2/3A cells?
2/3A cells, and it comes with a 6 cell pack.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
While it is theoretically possible to run 2 brushless motors on a brushless ESC, the ESC wouldn't last very long, not because of the current draw, but because of the difference in timing. If the motors weren't turning EXACTLY the same and either motor EVER slipped, the ESC wouldn't know when to gate the SCR's on to create the three phase AC. Sensorless brushless ESC's use back emf to detect rotor position, and it is not possible for the circuit to reconcile two separate signals. It would effectively think that the rotor was in two places at the same time, or part of the signal would be filtered out and there is no way to know which part of the signal from either motor would be lost. Email Joe Ford from castle creations for a more detailed explanation.

So, I guess the short answer is no.

I am only planning on getting the mini E-Revo, but I have to unload some stuff on eBay before I do. The wife thinks 36 RC vehicles is too much, but she fails to realize that the kids have 5, and she has 14, but it only counts when I want something new.
Well i guess you need 2esc & 2 motors then:-( ...that is the whole problem with the C.C.-it is just such a oddball with a dual batt, dual M.O.A setup buying any sort of decent electronics for it(motors, esc.) you end up spending way more than even the price of a rtr, and who really has a dual batt/dual motor esc laying around--I don't--maybe if you have a E-maxx or E-savage.....either one of those esc's are more than the price of the ARR C.C.--I bought a RTR & I think that it is ok, but the stock ESC & radio system are crap. I think duratrax should build a shafty. or start coming out with some hop-ups for the C.C., like motors,more chassis options/parts,bodies, real beadlocks etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I am currently using a traxxas EVX-2 and $3.50 motors from banebots, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I need to tune it down a little so my gears live longer. Maybe run it on 8 or 9 cells instead of 12. There really isn't any reason to make the CC brushless, and I would rather have the setup I've got right now than a dual brushless. It has axle snapping, gear crushing torque, it is still very controllable at low speeds, the motors are dirt cheap, and it has smooth throttle response.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Default 750kv 380 Brushless

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT5&P=7

$24ea
750kv
28mm dia
30mm long

Needs mount adapter

No specs on stall, etc.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am currently using a traxxas EVX-2 and $3.50 motors from banebots, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I need to tune it down a little so my gears live longer. It has axle snapping, gear crushing torque, it is still very controllable at low speeds, the motors are dirt cheap, and it has smooth throttle response.
Is it the snap-speed of these that eats your gears?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Is it the snap-speed of these that eats your gears?
Nope. It is the overwhelming insane torque, combined with the outstanding traction of the proline flat irons. I let my buddy drive it, and he got a wheel stuck in a crevice in my rock pile. He tried to ease through it slowly, and I guess the tire was bound up pretty well because that is when the counter gear stripped.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nope. It is the overwhelming insane torque, combined with the outstanding traction of the proline flat irons. I let my buddy drive it, and he got a wheel stuck in a crevice in my rock pile. He tried to ease through it slowly, and I guess the tire was bound up pretty well because that is when the counter gear stripped.

Are you using metal gears?
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

you can not run 2 BL motors off 1 BL esc. you would have to run twin BL escs
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletrouble View Post
Are you using metal gears?
Not yet. They should be here tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am currently using a traxxas EVX-2 and $3.50 motors from banebots, and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I need to tune it down a little so my gears live longer. Maybe run it on 8 or 9 cells instead of 12. There really isn't any reason to make the CC brushless, and I would rather have the setup I've got right now than a dual brushless. It has axle snapping, gear crushing torque, it is still very controllable at low speeds, the motors are dirt cheap, and it has smooth throttle response.
Do you have a link to the $3.50 motors?--Found them may have to try them, @ $3.50ea wtf!

Last edited by R/CMaxximus5.0; 04-15-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
Do you have a link to the $3.50 motors?--Found them may have to try them, @ $3.50ea wtf!
http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12

enjoy!