Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: rag6's first crawler/scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

If the vr3 might be too fast, would you suggest http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLLT5&P=7 ?

Is the ultra high rpm motor the one in the vendetta tc? I really don't want to overpower the suspension. around 15 mph max. I've never run a dual motor setup, will they overheat, or will they share the load running parallel ? I will run a gp3300 stick with the sidewinder.

Last edited by rag6; 05-18-2009 at 04:19 PM.
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I think that motor will be better suited to trail running and such than the VR3. The VR3 has a tendency to run hot, especially with the timing advanced, and that's in a smaller lighter vehicle than the CC. I'd go with the one you linked to. I'll probably be running those same motors in my rig soon.
RCer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Any suggestions on connectors? I think these will work for the sidewinder motor wires:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001566198&I=LXTJH8&P=Kn
I guess I should make a y harness to the yellow connectors. All I can find on tower is http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=L5AYU802&P=K
Does tower carry just the male ends?

I want the y harness to stay zipped to the truck with disconnects at the motors and 1 at the swinder. I am hoping to zip the y to 1 chassis rail only so that the rig can be disassembled without having to cut the zips.

Am I correct wanting to run the motors parallel?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

The wheelbase is gettin there, this is kind of what I am going for. The chassis may sit a little higher with the pede shocks.

How does she look?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #25
RCC Addict

It's looking good. I think it needs to be a little bit longer though.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

yes, I agree. Some links are in the making.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #27
RCC Addict

For your ebay auctions, put pictures of EXACTLY what each auction is for, i guarantee you will get more success.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Ya know, it has really helped to have 3 of the rigs laying around. Just about the whole build has been inspired by the fact that I can use extra stock parts to make this unique.

I finished the battery mount. I used 2 stock battery trays. I cut off the four radio tray r-clip posts. I mounted the battery vertically by cutting a recess at each end of each of the battery trays. I then enlarged the four (vertical body post?) holes at the end of the radio trays. I cut the body post holes off of the top tray. I then inserted the 4 cut radio tray posts into the vert body post holes and secured them with body clips. Installed the top battery tray upside down and secured it with 4 more body clips. Vwalla! Totally secured battery:

Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Good use of what you got on everything. That is a simple way to mount the batteries. I guess when you got 3 CC's sitting around you have plenty of parts. That is a nice looking rig. I like those wheels.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #30

Wow that jeep body looks amazing. I love the chassis defanetly redneck but aint nuthin wrong with that, lol.
bar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Yes the Rubicon turned out alright. Still waiting for more parts. Funny how the connectors from Hong Kong came before the motors and links from tower lol. Also got the emaxx shocks and started the body mounts (duratraxx parts). Going to try reverse (under the body) mounts. Will order the stampede today so the xl5 esc should be here next week. Hope to have the truck completed for esc install. Guess I will be redneck forever LOL! Wait, dont have any goodies for the roof rack yet. Guess it wont be completely completed!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Well, encountered some minor setbacks. First the Maxx shocks went on today with some custom dual rate springs I had a guy make for my pede that were too soft for it. The stock oil is too heavy but some 15 or 20 wt should take care of that. The bad part is the tires are gonna rub the shocks. I will have to shave the upper sock mounts and maybe even the lower mounts, but Idk if its gonna work. The good news is the sus travel and articulation is much, much better and clearance for the servo up front is perfect. I think I will triangle the upper rear links on the servo plate. Which brings me back to the second setback. Links. I was gonna try to see if I could get away with using 8 of the stock steering links for the axles, but they will be too short for the Maxx body. So, since I will be making some links, I want to do it right. Anyone know the best way to make some strong, longer links? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanx!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Can't go wrong with revo rodends and #8 all thread. Maybe overkill on this thing but it's what I use. Then sleeve them with whatever. I'm sleeving mine with plastic rod just to make them slick. Brake line if you're worried about strength.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Made my longer links out of 5/16th delrin rod, taped and drilled for 3mm, used traxxas rod ends for the stampede.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Has anybody had problems with their stock 3x3 grub screws? Got the new motors and tried to switch pinions to the vendetta motors, but 5 out of 6 grubs from the stock motors stripped? I did not even get hand tight with my 1/4" drive socket (no driver) before they striped. It is the threads on the grubs that are stripping, not the pinions. Also made 6 out of the 8 links (out of trx ball ends, all thread and brake lines [ by the way the stock balls work better than the trxxs balls with the traxxas ball ends if you polish the inside of the trxxs ends]) but ran out of the trxxs ball ends need 4 more. Also soldered the motors to the wiring harness and connectors for the sidewinder (but have an alternate esc on the way). Back to the grubs- Did not over tighten the grubs just seem that only 1 or 2 threads on the 11 tooth stock pinions grab before the grub hits the shaft. Should I grind down the shaft so that the grubs have more to grab? The pinions are not stripping, its the grubs.
Just a little confused here. It seems the grubs are really soft compared to the pinion and I have found no one to have this prob when I search.
Was wondering if anyone used alternate grubs when switching motors?
Thanks for any help.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #36
RCC Addict

I never had a problem with the grubs, but I did grind flats on my banebots. I did it after reading of someone stripping out their pinions. Good idea on using the CC balls in the trx ends, never thought about them fitting but they give more angle.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Just got home from work and hope to take it for a spin in the next couple of hours! Have to reassemble most of the truck. Put in the electrics before work and made sure everything was working. The sidewinder works and I put a cirrus servo(105 oz) that I got in a parts lot. It should do for my needs. If I have a prob, I will just get a hitech. The shocks are too big for servo clearance when I mount the lower end on the inside, so I may have to shave the outside(normal) of the lower front shock mount to get some much needed tire clearance. I hooked it up to my xp3d and also have a synth 2chan fm from a mini baja that I may use if I don't wind up adding lights. Trying to find a clean way to run the wire harness. May post some pics tomorrow if it all works out tonight. I was thinking of red alum shock bodies with black springs/cups. I seen some for $12 a pair on ebay. I figured out a rear body mount using stock bumper rails and stock body mounts, but it may not be strong enough. I mounted the sidewinder between the chassis rails way up front and the rx on top of the batt mount. I wanted the esc away from the rx. Anyway's, off to build while watching the Penguins hopefully beat the Wings!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Default It is alive!

Well, took my first run. Its top speed is about 7mph and will wheelie in forward or reverse. In my kitchen, set up a few objects and crawled very slowly over anything I tried without any stall. Took it out on the street and was checking out the speed. So I started doing forward wheelies and the 3rd time a gear let go in the rear axle. These take offs were just full throttle from a dead stop. It seems these motors have an amazing amount of grunt and the sidewinder has a great amount of throttle control.
There is almost no steering. I will look around here for some ideas to increase my steering.

Pics in the am.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

which motors did you end up going with? Did you wire them in series or parallel?
badtoy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Parallel. The vendetta buggy motors. plenty of power. Just went out for a bash without the body. Lasted 30 min w/gp3300. Battery-room temp-motors120f-esc91f. Is there such a thing as too much articulation for a scale ride?

It started to rain so no good pics. But I triangle the rear and laid the shocks down. Shaved the front shock mount. Replaced the rear axle. The batt is too high to be a strait crawler. The amount of throttle control w/the sidewinder is amazing.

More pics if the sun comes out later.