Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: rag6's first crawler/scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #41

that thing looks cool but how is the torque with those motors? im considering making my cc into a mini clod-like truck but still want to be able to do a bit of crawling.
bar321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar321 View Post
that thing looks cool but how is the torque with those motors? im considering making my cc into a mini clod-like truck but still want to be able to do a bit of crawling.
I don't have any other experience with crawlers so I don't have anything to compare. But from my first impression, plenty. I have not found a situation yet(3 packs) where I did not have enough power or control of that power. The tires do not get enough traction. I smoothed out the power curve on the sidewinder and have any degree of throttle I want. I have not had any stall issues with the rear axle yet. I need more steering. Instead of a servo saver I thought maybe just a simple longer servo arm would give more throw. I may have to limit the downward travel of the shocks with some fuel tube to increase stability.
My basher rubicon is now mounted. I used the stock posts in the stock position with longer screws and the large sus spacers to get the perfect width.
It is raining steady here so when I get some sun, I will post some decent pics. My friend can shoot and edit some vid for me and when he gets some time.
EDIT: Just found out my local shop has a crawler course in the shop! Its $10/hr but may go and run there this weekend. Maybe I can see what a real crawler is like lol.

Last edited by rag6; 06-03-2009 at 02:27 PM.
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Default Pics!!!

I mounted my beater Rubicon (from my pede) and it fits the wheelbase just right:

Pics of the chassis:

Front:

Rear:

Its coming together.

Last edited by rag6; 06-04-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Nice link mounts on the rear axle, use what ya got.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Default Breaking more gears.

Well, broke the 3rd set of gears today. I don't know if I want to go any further with this build. Its gonna be about $80 to switch the axles to metal gears and outputs. May just shelf it before I loose any more money on it. I miss my stampede.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Default Finished!

Well, finished the build the other day, and took it to the local hobbyshops crawler course. It did pretty good but its not really a crawler. I had to use the T-maxx springs because the custom trip rates were too soft. I did not mount the new body, but I did mount an old pede body and it looks pretty good. Kind of like a monster truck:

I got the gearboxes working. I guess the 3 gears I broke were defects? Any way it is taking the power pretty well. It is a little too fast with the vendetta motors. I installed the 300 amp hong kong esc and it works very good. It programs itself. I crawled for a 1/2 hour at the course and the motors and esc were warm but not hot. It jumps pretty well also. Set up a ramp and it jumps like a scale monster truck. The suspension compresses and it soaks up the landing without much bounce. The T-maxx springs are just about perfect. Can't take turns too fast or it will roll but that was to be expected. Also, there is drag brake on that esc! It can only take 6-cell but for a 6 cell setup, it will work just fine. Here are some more pics of the finished truck:

I mounted the spare with a stock axle. Used 2 large washers on either side of the body. Put my daughters Losi mini baja fm synth radio in her propulse t100, and put the 2 ch fm from that in the cc. Who said those radios are glitchy? Worked fine at the noisy hobby shop. I had alot of fun with this build, but it just does not add up fun wise to the pede. I am selling it and will buy another stampede. I need 40mph again. I may make another scale build in the future, but its gonna be a shafty. Thanks for the help! -rag6

Last edited by rag6; 06-19-2009 at 07:49 AM.