Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: My Cliff Climber Trail Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Well I got started on the bed today, and everything is going smoothly. So far I have cut out the lexan that made up the original top of the bed, and I have gotten my insert glued into place along with some strips of lexan to make up the ribs. I know the ribs aren't all symetrical, but I did this on purpose in hopes that once I get it all painted black it will look a little beat up and not look all perfect and untouched. I once again found a way to recycle some material. The insert is actually the packaging from my roof rack. I had to cut it a bit and make a few mods to it to get the proper dimensions, but it was very close to begin with. I'll have some modelling to do to get a nice finish at the cab. The spot that is cut out up behind the driver, is there for a reason, which I will reveal later on. Anyhow here are a few pics of where it's at right now.

Last edited by RCer4Life; 05-21-2009 at 12:50 PM.
RCer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I can see the sparklies in your paint.

The bed looks good so far. Body color paint or black like a bed liner?
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I'm thinking I'll do it black like a liner. It will be easier, and it will make things I put in the bed stand out better.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Get some undercoating spray for a texture look, cover up any imperfections too.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Looks great. What are you going to haul?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

The driver of this truck is a back woods transporter. He hauls anything from shine to stolen goods lol. Whatever pays his bills. Actually I just wanted to add a bed with some depth, so that when I put in a roll bar it doesn't look like it's attached to a tonneau cover. Most likely I will be dropping a spare tire, and a tool box in there.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Ok got the first couple coats of black on it. Now I need to tidy up where it meets the cab, and work on a few little details for placing inside of it.
Once that's all finished up I think I'm going to hit it with undercoating to add some texture.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Yeah I agree go with the white wagon wheels.Then get you some of the center caps that go on the axial scx10 wheels to set it off. There a chrome cap that goes over the nut on the wheels. Get them on ebay for like $3-4 bucks.It would give it that real wheel look.

Last edited by T I N Y; 05-21-2009 at 04:32 PM.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I think your driver needs a gun rack, with a shothun in it.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

I think it needs a gun in the back wondow too, and it might get one soon.

Here are a couple pics of it back on. It's still not done, but I had the urge to go run a pack through it, so I slapped it back together and took it out lol.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Looking good! Gun rack would be cool. Did you sharpie or paint the spokes on the stock wheels? That looks really good. I might have to try something like that on mine. Where its at it shouldn't get scratched.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

The spokes were indeed done with a sharpie. I have done quite a bit of running with it since doing it, and they haven't gotten scratched yet. Seems to be holding up pretty good.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Ok, so I decided not to cut my grill out until I had something figured out for replacing it. In the meantime I was tired of it, and the bumpers matching the body, so I went ahead and sprayed them with some flat black. I also hit up the LHS in hopes that they would have some HPI stock car wheels, and a couple pair of Pro-Line 1.9 Flat Irons. Well they had one pair of Flat Irons, and no stock car wheels. Since I was there though, and had already planned on spending some money, I went ahead and grabbed myself this.

In order to mount it I had to make a small L bracket and attach it to the inside of the body, and then mark and drill the holes for the winch to bolt to. So anyhow I got all that done, got it all wired up, and now I'm just waiting for the epoxy to set up so that I can put it to the test. I did do a small test after I got it mounted, and hooked the winch around the leg of a chair in my work shop, and it reeled the truck right in without breaking a sweat. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I can really work it, and get some vid of it in action. For now though here a few updated pics.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Looks good! If you got a silver gel pen or fine point silver paint pen you could add some detail to the grill for now. I think there is a thread on Scale 4x4 R/C about Warn decals for the 3 Racing winch.

The truck looks better everytime you post. I'm still waiting to see why you left the hole behind the driver.:-P
Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Thanks. I was thinking about using some silver Testors enamel to add some detail to the grill, and I still might. It just depends on wether or not I get the urge to cut it out of there in the next day or so, or if I decide to leave it for now and move on to something else for the time being lol. You should find out why the hole is behind the driver in the next day or so, as long as things go my way.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #36
RCC Addict

ETA on wheels and tires?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Well I thought it was gonna be today, then I planned to order them tonight, but I ended up spending the money on another project rig lol. So probably closer to the end of the week now.