Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Stock ESC with Banebots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Stock ESC with Banebots

My set up after the rebuild was the stock ESC w/the banebots motors running on 9 cells. Also running a stretched chassis and 2.2 with weight added. Thought this would be great after the performance on the test pile (not real hard but it is right outside my shop door). After taking the truck to a more challenging spot I started to have trouble. The stock ESC does not seem to like the 390 motors. It will run for a while (10 mins) then shut down. If I let it sit for a while it will work for a little while and then shut down again. Each time I let it sit and start running again it takes less time to shut down. If it sits overnight we start over from the beginning. This seems to me like the ESC is overheating and going into thermal shutdown, the only answer I see is to upgrade to the EVX ESC from the Maxx line or the Novak HD. Looking for input in case I am missing something and to see if others have the same trouble. Here is a link to my build if pics are needed:
CC and Delrin
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I just depends on what you want to spend. You could get and integry ESC for 21.99 from ebay or you could spend $100 plus on a good quality last a long time ESC. My buddy has a clod that is atleast six years old and he has a super rooser with some 55t motors to crawl. He used to race it and used 12 doubles in it. But anyways he has never had a problem with it or the programing.
badtoy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I run a EVX2, the only complaints are the bulky footprint and its heavy. Other then that, its a great ESC and works good on my CC Scaler, I also run it on 16.8v Fullsized Sub C packs 4200mah each and I get well over 2 hours of runtime.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply's, most likely I will wait for the cash for the EVX, was just wondering if anyone else had the same problems.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i was just about to post the same problem that your having until i saw your post. in my case i just stretched the truck out to 11.5" and added 2.2 panther tires. now when i go to run it, it does exactly what your talking about. before it did fine. im guessing with the bigger tires it's over heating something. makes me wonder who else is having this problem
spdyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

well after doing some looking around i have ordered a sidewinder esc. i do think i found a solution to this problem though with the stock esc. i took the plastic cover off the esc and there is a small aluminum plate for a heat sink on top. taking off the cover lets more heat out and keeps the esc cool enough to keep running. took my truck out after taking the cover off and it never once shut off. hope this helps someone.
spdyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info, I may have to give that a try.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #8

I just bought the ready to run ax10 scorpion still stock(im new to rock crawling and rc's in general) I did add the 14t pinion and the locked front diff, and today I was out testin it out and giving it its first real challange and I noticed it started acting twitchy and wouldnt listen to me after about 10-15 minutes I went messed with my truck and the esc was scorching hot..and i have the stock axial motor on it..so yeah its happening to me also im thinking of buying a new esc when i upgrade my suspension
i NewCrawler i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdyracer View Post
i was just about to post the same problem that your having until i saw your post. in my case i just stretched the truck out to 11.5" and added 2.2 panther tires. now when i go to run it, it does exactly what your talking about. before it did fine. im guessing with the bigger tires it's over heating something. makes me wonder who else is having this problem
I had the same problem, but with a bone stock CC!
The stock RTR ESC is CRAP, & the RTR radio gear isn't much better.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by i NewCrawler i View Post
I just bought the ready to run ax10 scorpion still stock(im new to rock crawling and rc's in general) I did add the 14t pinion and the locked front diff, and today I was out testin it out and giving it its first real challange and I noticed it started acting twitchy and wouldnt listen to me after about 10-15 minutes I went messed with my truck and the esc was scorching hot..and i have the stock axial motor on it..so yeah its happening to me also im thinking of buying a new esc when i upgrade my suspension
you posted this in the Duratrax Cliff Climber section, you would get more response in the AX-10 section.

If you bought the truck new I would contact axial and see if they will replace the ESC for you. If the truck is all stock there should not be a problem with the electronics working together.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
I had the same problem, but with a bone stock CC!
The stock RTR ESC is CRAP, & the RTR radio gear isn't much better.

I agree but my goal was to build a truck with what I had at the time and it is not going to be more than a basher so the radio gear will do but that ESC is a total waste.