Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: 2.2 tire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2.2 tire question

Hi this is my first post on the site. Great place! Just got a cc about a week ago and have a question about tires. If I put on a set of 2.2 tires like Panther Cougar 2.2 Crawler tires, will I be more likely to break parts such as gears? If so how much more likely? Will it be a sure thing or maybe just possible if I run the truck hard. What about body clearance, would I need to cut the body at all? I have the stock wheel base and would like to keep it like that for now. Would new tires make a big difference with crawling or are the stock tires already pretty good?

A few comments on the truck itself. This is my first crawler. Picked it up at tower for $109 for me and my two boys. So far I am pretty impressed with it. Did some very small stuff for the first couple of packs and was surprised at how well it did. Took it to a construction site today for some bigger stuff. I thought it did very good for the size it is. Then I broke the rear main gear output joint. I kept on running it and even with that broke it was still hanging in there and doing a good job. After a bit I broke the front one also so that was it for the day. I have some steel ones on order and plan on shimming them with an o-rings. I also have a pair of 645mg servos on order and metal servo horns and some traxxas links to clock the drive shafts and also a 12t gear for the front motor. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new parts do for the truck. Thanks for any help with the tire question and great site.
spdyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdyracer View Post
Hi this is my first post on the site. Great place! Just got a cc about a week ago and have a question about tires. If I put on a set of 2.2 tires like Panther Cougar 2.2 Crawler tires, will I be more likely to break parts such as gears? If so how much more likely? Will it be a sure thing or maybe just possible if I run the truck hard. What about body clearance, would I need to cut the body at all? I have the stock wheel base and would like to keep it like that for now. Would new tires make a big difference with crawling or are the stock tires already pretty good?

A few comments on the truck itself. This is my first crawler. Picked it up at tower for $109 for me and my two boys. So far I am pretty impressed with it. Did some very small stuff for the first couple of packs and was surprised at how well it did. Took it to a construction site today for some bigger stuff. I thought it did very good for the size it is. Then I broke the rear main gear output joint. I kept on running it and even with that broke it was still hanging in there and doing a good job. After a bit I broke the front one also so that was it for the day. I have some steel ones on order and plan on shimming them with an o-rings. I also have a pair of 645mg servos on order and metal servo horns and some traxxas links to clock the drive shafts and also a 12t gear for the front motor. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new parts do for the truck. Thanks for any help with the tire question and great site.
Just like a full size rig like a Jeep more traction can break more parts. I would say that its a toss up. Are they taller? Do they weigh a lot more? Those are the two main factors. If you replace your gears and such with metal parts you'll be fine.

FlexdXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

So I should consider replacing my gears with metal gears if I get some 2.2 tires? What are some good 2.2 tires for the cc if I get some. Any considered better for the cc than others?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

It is worth it. I put some proline moabs on mine and it is so much better. A lot more clearance in the center of the axle to get over stuff. Also the the larger tires will go over more without getting hung up.
lt1zwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I am running 2.2 RPM revolver wheels with 2.2 Losi Rock Claws...it is the best mod ive done yet...I run my rig fairly hard and have yet (knock on wood) to break anything. The claws are much softer and taller than the stock cc set up. My cc is stretched to an 11" wb and soon to be 12.5" wb. I think you would be happy with a bigger tire.
09xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

well I have been looking around and I am considering losi rock claws with some jconcepts tense wheels. any opinions about this combination?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i put my stock axial 2.2 wheels and tires on my boys CC and stripped the out drives on the front and rear axles. $17 for new steel units for the two axles. I would recommend ordering those along with the new wheels and tires.
theholybull is offline   Reply With Quote