Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: first things to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #1

Default first things to do

So I've been reading all I can on the forums and just trying to get an idea of the things that should be done right off the bat when my CC shows up, I see that clocking the axles seems to be a first and if I understand correctly I would just adjust the links to rotate the axle for better clearance. I also read a lot about the rear stearing but not sure what to do (I'm sure once I have it to look at, it will make more sense!) Other then that is there anything that I'm missing as a must do right away that you guys recomend? Sorry for the questions as this is my first rc crawler and I'm completely stoked bout it and just wanna do it right the first time! I'm sure this will be like my planes and start with a basic rtr then move to the comp style stuff but I'm really diggin the scale lookin stuff and I'm leanin more towards that for the 2nd one and with my track record it will be comin shortly ! Again thanks!

Last edited by neon99; 07-11-2009 at 06:22 PM.
neon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #2

Get all of the upgrades for it (Bearing set, steel cups and steel gears)
E4x4Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Add weight to the wheels.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #4

What do you use for wheel weights and so you just put them between the wheel and the foam?
neon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't bother spending the money for upgraded gears and stuff if you think you might buy a second crawler soon. The Cliff Climber will do just fine with the stock stuff. I am very rough on my rigs and haven't broken anything yet. Here is my opinion of how you should start off.

1. Lower the body by drilling new holes lower on the chassis for the body posts
2. Wheel Weights (You can order stick on weights on ebay for about $8. Since the tires are glued its easier to stick them to the inside of the wheels.)
3. Remove the bumpers on the axles
4. Clock the axles (This thread shows a cheap easy way to extend the stock links for clocking the axles Make Custom Links For $8)
5. Cut every other lug out of the center tread of the tire
6. Put a 12 tooth pinion on the front motor (5.99 shipped from thetoys.com)
7. O-rings in the drive cups

Those things will give you a pretty capable crawler and it will only cost you around $30. While you are clocking the axles you could also extend the rear links to increase the wheelbase if you wanted to. I have done these things to my CC and it helped a lot. Here is my build thread Cliff Climber Rock Racer Style with Standard 6-Cell Stick Packs

Hope that info helps. Good Luck!
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I would say drive it first so you can see what the changes do but then I would start by adding weight to the front wheels. Then I used 3.5 inch turnbuckles on the front lowers to clock axel(had them so I used them and now it is adjustable) I also changed to 2.2 moab crawler tires and gained clearance in the center of the axles. Then I locked out the rear steer. All made improvments. I switched to an ESC with drag brake also.
lt1zwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Good advice. I did my CC one step at a time and really enjoyed seeing how the improvements changed it on the rocks.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote