Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Badtoys BadToy Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up Badtoys BadToy Build.

Ok i just got my CC from tower today. $29.99 plus 9.99 shipping with a coupon.
-Side note. Anyone who is thinking about getting one. Go to tower and sign up for e-mail alerts with an e-mail address you have not used before on tower and they will send you a $20 off of a $50 purchase within about three days.

This is primarily a budget build. However i know i will eventualy be spending some money. This is also my first crawler.

For this build i plan on extending the WB to about 12 - 12.5 inches Via longer links and chasis. I still have not decided. I have Banebots motors on the way. I am going to run a 7 cell 1800 AA pack. I have an Integy oracle ESC. I am using a Traxxas TQ2 radio and reciver. I am going to use a standard futaba servo in the rear and a t-maxx 80 Oz-In servo in the front. I plan on getting some new tires and bearings soon.

Tommorrow i plan on flipping the knuckles to gain a couple mm of Gc. Then i am going to flip the rear axle. Then this weekend i am going to work on lengthening the WB.

If anyone has a good link legnth and chasis thengh that would be helpful. I am going to try to best use my full scale rock crawler building experience to help me out. But i can see there is quite a lot of small things on these that can make a big difference.

I will post pics along with progress.
badtoy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. These are fun little rigs, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. That's a heck of a deal you got. I might have to sign up with a new email and buy another one for that price.
RCer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ok... I got my speed control and banebots motors today. I made some brackets for the front and rear Axle to relocate the bottom link. Now it is center on the Axel. This has also helped clock the axles forward. I split a 7cell AA 1800Mah Nihm pack. I am running four cells on the chassis and three on the front servo. I am waiting for my radio, receiver and front servo to arrive.

Last edited by badtoy1986; 06-08-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Got any pics?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Here the pics finally. I am going to my buddies house who has an extra pair of axial shocks and some taller 2.2 tires that he said he would give me. I will post more pics once i get them. And possibly some action pics. The other thing i am doing this weekend is making a new rear steering link... The stock one has too much slop. I think that i will eventually replace all of the stock steering linkage with my own.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

And look, they are giving away shrek with your purchase of a CC.

No, seriously, I will be watching this thread.
It'd be cool if you could keep a running price list fo us
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well i finished making my longer links. They work great. I used some all-thread and aluminum tube along with traxxas rod ends. They have more pivot and are much stronger and more smooth than stock... I lengthened it to 10.5 inches. Eventually i plan on making a new chassis that is 1-1.5 inches longer than stock.

My friend gave me a set of lightly used rock lizards. I put them on today and it looks good and has much more traction. I am using star cut stock foams. They are a little short but it makes for better traction.

He also gave me a bunch of stick on wheel weights. More weight in the front along with the better tires is helping tremendously.

The banebots motors have more torque than stock but they still don't have enough for 6-7 cells. I am going to try and rewind the stock motors and see how that works out.

I also replaced the servo saver in the rear with a regular servo horn and made a "s" shaped link for the rear steer. I am going to reverse the servo soon. I will post some pics soon.

Last edited by badtoy1986; 08-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Wait I'm confuse $29.99?
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

$29.99 for a RTR CC? Or for the roller?
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Its the ARTR, $49.99 with a $20 coupon, then $9.99 shipping. I got mine for the same deal.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Well i finished hand winding my stock motors with green wire from radio shack. I have to get one of the coms turned since i got a little crazy with the solder. Here are the updated pics with the new tires and weight.

I wound them with 45 turns each. I am running 7 cells and there is tons more power and speed with one motor. i am going to the hobby store tomorrow to get the other one turned. I will get it in and report back. I may try and cram 55t on them but we will see how it does with two 45t's.

P.S. i know that the wiring is ugly i will clean it up once everything is done.