Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: any electronic guru's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default any electronic guru's?

Is there a way to use a resistor to limit the power going to the front motor on steep climbs? or a capacitor to throw a little extra juice to the rear? Just doing my part to solve the clod stall issue. I love my axial and my tlt, but i see a lot of potential in the CC.
Nylintbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I just thought of something. Could a person wire the two motors together in series to send the excess(unused) power to the rear motor? Or am I wandering in the pastures of "alreadydiditville"
Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

you should play the role of guinea pig and try it out and then you will know
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would but I'm no electronics guru.how do you hook up a resistor ?what size do i need?do they even come In tiny sizes? I'll try it but i need some guidance
Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

well its kinda hard to say what size you need. this is kinda a blind study but i would assume that the size all depends on how much you wanna slow the motor down.you should be able to find an in-line resistor. the place to check would be radio shack. it may be a trial and error job... but what the hell i will look into it to. i will let you know what i come up with.
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've been reading on it today.....i'm gonna try it out.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

one thing that wont work is wiring the motors in series because if you did that only the front or rear would get power when the other gets more traction or in a very small bind making it impossible to crawl with it
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
one thing that wont work is wiring the motors in series because if you did that only the front or rear would get power when the other gets more traction or in a very small bind making it impossible to crawl with it
Yeah...I found that out. I'll keep working on it. Its a cheapo toy anyhow.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #9

how is it done on a berg?
themichavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #10

i run a tamiya resistor block on my front axle.... its from a TL01 tamiya touring car MSC. it really makes a difference with the clod stall
brees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brees View Post
i run a tamiya resistor block on my front axle.... its from a TL01 tamiya touring car MSC. it really makes a difference with the clod stall
yeah......and where were you 8 posts ago? What is the resistance? in case I can find one at RS for cheap.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

if i was u guys i would try like to rtr losi speedo on a y harnes like the stock streering is just some cheepo speedos but be sure they r the same kind an this should slove all the probs u r haveing. keep in mind u will have to run 2 batts to do this but i really think it will work
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default electronic guru:

...a volt cap on the rear motor might work. now im interested as well. do you think if you induced clod stall on like a workbench and took an amp draw test w/ a dvom (digi volt ohm meter), we could size up a capacitor to compensate.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #14

See if you can rig an old rc10 speed control resistor into the front motor wiring. Then you can vary the resistance to your liking. If you really wanna get tricky, attach a mini servo to it with a 3rd channel and vary as needed while running.
Dudley50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73fordhighboy View Post
...a volt cap on the rear motor might work. now im interested as well. do you think if you induced clod stall on like a workbench and took an amp draw test w/ a dvom (digi volt ohm meter), we could size up a capacitor to compensate.
well,Even though I understand you, I wouldn't know how to go about this. But, it sounds better than my trial and error plan. So you think a cap in the rear is a better than a res in the front?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default capacitor in rear...

i was thinking if you tested the motors with a volt meter, place the meter on the hot wire when clod stall happened, you would know how many volts each motor was getting. place a cap (if they make one that small) on the motor circuit. i don't even know if this will work, honestly. just an idea.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

resistor in the front... or cap in the rear... i'll run some test in the morning and start asking questions. i bet fry's electronics would have something to solve this clod issue.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I'm just worried that the cap in the rear wouldn't really work. From what I've read, the clod stall problem isn't an issue of current loss to the rear motor.I think a Cap in the rear would cause the rear motor to spool up as soon as it wanted to stall and flip your CC.A res in the front would be a constant shortage of current to the front, hopefully giving the rear a chance to stay in the game a little longer before the front completely takes over. I think i'm on the right track, I just don't know the proper terminology.What do you think?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i keep meaning to test the current draw on the motors, but a buddy has my volt meter. i do see your logic on the resistor on the front. i think it would work better than a cap on the rear
Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

great.....now to figure out what size