Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: need shock recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #1

Default need shock recommendation

I've pushed out my wheelbase to 12.5 and my shocks are too short can anyone recommend me some newer shocks that won't empty my wallet? so far I've been running with my shocks attached to my upper links and now my body sways like a mo'fo and i can't keep a straight line. please help
myblack89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the stock shocks are actually quite good. can you just make chassis extentions? im running the stock shocks on my 12.7"WB on the CCX chassis.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

just dont go over 108mm. lol. im running 108mm integy's. like em alot. just a little long, even with the internal limiters. my sidehilling action suffers. im going to try the stock dual rate "Bully's" shocks next
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i used some rustler front shocks all around i had about 12" wheelbase
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
the stock shocks are actually quite good. can you just make chassis extentions? im running the stock shocks on my 12.7"WB on the CCX chassis.
x2 on the stockers i just mounted mine to the top links!

TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #6

thats what im using and my body rolls. i dont like not being able to keep a straight line.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7

my wheelbase is now 12.5 and i stole the shocks off my team associated mmgt....they are the perfect length!!! Im pretty sure they are cheap to buy off towers website..anyone know anything about the proline crawler shocks?
JasonRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

when i was first messing with various length links, i found that for my setup, the chassis mount points were too close together and i would get sway. the rig wouldn't right itself. like the springs were too soft. it would also "inch worm" :? on some climbs. thats what caused the purchase of the adjustable integy 108mm crawler shocks. with the stock chassis and 12.5 wb, i would have to twist the collars bout half way down in the back for the truck to right itself. with the vanquish chassis i've got the shocks turned down bout 3/16. in the rear and no turns on the front. she really crawls goes- where an ax10 cant on my backyard course
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #9

so did you move the top links up?
JasonRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I just swapped the stock springs to Vendetta Green (rear) and Blue (front) springs, with a mount extension and brace for the rear shocks. Works good. The CC shocks are the same as the Vendetta so that's your source for stiffer springs if needed. I've got some pics and a vid to post up but it'll have to wait until I get home from work.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblack89yj View Post
thats what im using and my body rolls. i dont like not being able to keep a straight line.
i have almost no body roll. i have my batteries mounted on the axles and have lowered my elecs. down inside the chassis. i have a very low cg

Old 10-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Mine is similar here, I made a custom 8 cell pack of 2/3A 1200mAh's that sit on top of the servo, and another that is 6 cells 1200mAh 2/3A's for on top of the servo with the other two under the front of the chassis. I just made another 6 cells pack with the 4/2 layout but of 4200mAh sub C's (for longer run times) and still no body roll. My electronics are snugged where the stock batteries would go.
It's probably just because you need to increase your spring rates somewhat. Also if you have the upper links outboarded, you'll get a fair bit of excess axle sway as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #13

i had the upper links mounted in the stock location (inside) but when i noticed the sway i decided to move the upper links outside the mount. it didnt help i will try the battery on the rear axle and moving the electronics into the chassis to see if that helps.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

moving the inks back to the inside will increase triangularity of the suspension and reduce axle sway .... getting the heavy batteries out of the chassis will make a night and day improvement on body roll.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
moving the inks back to the inside will increase triangularity of the suspension and reduce axle sway .... getting the heavy batteries out of the chassis will make a night and day improvement on body roll.
x2