Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: 2 losi mini rock crawler esc's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2 losi mini rock crawler esc's?

how bout this one: 2 losi mrc esc's? any one tried it? 2 batteries 2 esc's. how do ya'll think it would work? i hope it'll solve the problem. i think Gunch and i are having the same issues. banebots- esc shut down. i tried the mini lst2 esc. not good enough i dont want to give up just yet. i for sure dont want to buy a set of mongoose crawler esc's and motors for a million bucks either
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Using two ESCs and two batteries, one per motor, is an old Clod Buster trick. Once more ESCs were able to handle two modified motors, and the quality of batteries improved, you didn't need to do it much anymore. With this setup, each motor only gets 7.2V, instead of 14.4V with the stock ESC. Instead of two Losi ESCs you can just use a regular 1/10th scale ESC and not have any problems with the motors taxing it. I love the throttle response of the Futaba MC230, which is inexpensive and compact.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am definitely having the same problem and also don't want to spend a million bucks on a esc. Am looking for cheaper options at the moment and have been thinking about a MOPED V16R. Its not the best, but its cheap, and it seems to have a high enough amp rating that I don't think it should shut down. I'm still not positive that it is the amps that causes it to shutdown, but that is what I suspect. Let us know how those MRC's work out for ya.
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

i was thinking about two stock mrc motors with an emaxx esc "hacked" to run one batt instead of two to get rid of some weight and hopefully more powerful
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^^ i think there is a delay between forward and reverse
Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Just pick up a 1/10 sidewinder, you can get them for $60 brand new in the classifieds all the time, then you can use it with lipo's, have a shut off, and use it in something else brushless if you want.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the heck with it, im going fxr and some sorta lipo battery thing
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

After reading the problems people have had with the Tekin stuff I decided to try Mamba. I haven't looked back. You get a lot more for the money and I have yet to have any problems, even my Mamba 25 that I bought when it first came out is running strong.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

do the moped thing it works great an u will have no problems

run to of them with 2 batts
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
After reading the problems people have had with the Tekin stuff I decided to try Mamba. I haven't looked back. You get a lot more for the money and I have yet to have any problems, even my Mamba 25 that I bought when it first came out is running strong.
aound here it seems like everyone and their moms are using the fxr. im starting to understand the amp draw, 2 motors, voltage vs current thing. im just so new to the whole rc hobby, i wouldn't know good stuff vs run of the mill. my wheelin buddys' got me into these rc's and half of them dont know what their doing either i just want the most performance i can get out her without going the mongoose route, since i will eventually go with the bullys' and i dont know if they would carry over to those axles. wonder if they would work on a losi moa worm drive. maybe a new thread for that.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I hear ya, I always used to use Tekin, and I still would if they didn't cost so much.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73fordhighboy View Post
^^ i think there is a delay between forward and reverse
I can't stand stall either. I thinks I am going to splurge a little, for the CC anyways, and just get a sidewinder. A Tekin is way out of my price range for this truck, even though I have a couple hundred into it already?!?!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunch View Post
I can't stand stall either. I thinks I am going to splurge a little, for the CC anyways, and just get a sidewinder. A Tekin is way out of my price range for this truck, even though I have a couple hundred into it already?!?!
i gave up...bought the tekin fxr. damn it, if you want to PLAY WITH IT YOU'LL PAY FOR IT
Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

The most likely reason your ESC's were having issues was the BEC (or lack of it). I have two CS-70MG's and a small micro sevo for my Fr dig. Without adding an external BEC any ESC I tried would thermal out and shut down. $10 for hobbywing BEC and all is golden.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
The most likely reason your ESC's were having issues was the BEC (or lack of it). I have two CS-70MG's and a small micro sevo for my Fr dig. Without adding an external BEC any ESC I tried would thermal out and shut down. $10 for hobbywing BEC and all is golden.
Really? I thought it was the amp draws but I guess not, I will definitely try a BEC, hopefully it works, cheap!