Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Getting sidewinders, any tips for setting them up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Getting sidewinders, any tips for setting them up?

I installed banebots and was having problems with the stock esc shutting down. Well, I picked up a couple CC Sidewinders and was wonder if there was anything I should know about programming them and installing them.

Talon
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Are they the 1/10th sidewinders? Are you using two of them? I tried to use two on my two channel by splitting the reciever wire but it did not work well at all. I set them both upon my castle link exactly the same but one would always be more responsive then the otherso I went back to one.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think their the micros, I just got them off of flebay. I will only run one if I can as it takes up less room but I thought I might need two. Are you running an external BEC with it? Also what motors are you running?

edit: I was thinking the same thing about splitting the receiver wire or running them in parallel. Or getting a tq3 and receiver as they are pretty cheap.

Last edited by gunch; 10-27-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I am running a ccbec, banebots, but I use the 1/10th sidewinders. I'm not sure if the micros can handle both so its probablt a good thing you got two.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I am running Banebots on a single CC Sidewinder Micro, on 8 cells.
They will handle 9 cells or 3S Lipo. Above that you will let the smoke out.

Vertually no drag brake though, even with it set to 100%.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post

I was kind of hoping for a drag brake since I have not had one, maybe with one on each motor it will work better. But I am used to driving without one so its not that big of deal.

Are you also running an external BEC or not?

How strong of servos are you guys running?

Just want to get this right the first time around, I'm getting sick of trying new things and finding out they don't work.

Thanks guys
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #7

what is cc stall? just got a cc that is stretched with 2.2 bead locks i used two 1100 6 cell battries over each axel i dont know if that is right the rest is stock thankx for any help
tryin to crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin to crawl View Post
what is cc stall? just got a cc that is stretched with 2.2 bead locks i used two 1100 6 cell battries over each axel i dont know if that is right the rest is stock thankx for any help
stall is when a motor, generally your rear, "stalls" as your truck is trying to climb. there are a lot of good write ups on it if you need more information. look up clod stall and you'll find more than you will need. 3

I like to run both of my batteries over the front axel for better weight distribution and getting the front over things.

Talon
Old 10-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
Are they the 1/10th sidewinders? Are you using two of them? I tried to use two on my two channel by splitting the reciever wire but it did not work well at all. I set them both upon my castle link exactly the same but one would always be more responsive then the otherso I went back to one.
Have you tried calibrating them separately to the radio then connecting them both together or at the same time?
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post

Are you running a BEC and also, how did you wire it? In series or parallel, or some way I don't know of? lol Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i got a cc bec on mine gunch. it's wired:in parallel off the battery +/-
input on the fxr. from there to the receiver (losi mini lst2) plugs into the aux input. the servo plugs into the receivers' steering slot. man that thing is cool. it'll move rocks or my rig around no problem hitec hs-645mg

oh yeah, your gonna have to unplug your battery from now on cause it'll keep power to your servo.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73fordhighboy View Post
i got a cc bec on mine gunch. it's wired:in parallel off the battery +/-
input on the fxr. from there to the receiver (losi mini lst2) plugs into the aux input. the servo plugs into the receivers' steering slot. man that thing is cool. it'll move rocks or my rig around no problem hitec hs-645mg

oh yeah, your gonna have to unplug your battery from now on cause it'll keep power to your servo.
I have to unplug my battery now anyways since the used sidewinders I had didn't have any on/off switches But I still have not got a BEC and I tried using just one sidewinder and I had not much power there and next to no wheel speed. I am going to try and hook up both sidewinders today and see how that works and maybe stop by the lhs and grab a cc BEC to go along with them.

I really want to get a punk dig but I'm not sure if it will work with dual esc's.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

dual esc would be nice for sure. my guess- would be off the front motor since it obviously stalls less.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

aside from all our mods we've done, that bec thing is dramaticto the point of giggles sometimes!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73fordhighboy View Post
aside from all our mods we've done, that bec thing is dramaticto the point of giggles sometimes!
lol, definitely going to have to pick one up then.

on a side note about stall, I'm thinking that when I set up the dual esc's I am going to try and program the front one with less power than the rear and see if that helps
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Got the sidewinders, didn't feel like running dual esc's so I got a rooster crawler instead and what a difference it made, much smoother throttle control, nice drag brake and it helped with clod stall a little bit I think since I wired the motors in parallel. I didn't need to add a bec then since the rooster has a nice one built in. I tried to add the 8oz weight on my chisels and the motors simply could not keep up. Next on the list is a punk dig. This thing is starting to really impress me and I can't wait for the dig to make it a full comp rig!