Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Whats clod stall? No signs of it here!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Whats clod stall? No signs of it here!!!!!!

Finally found a set of motors that are the bomb! Have not had a chance to hit any tough rock situations yet, but these seem to have more than enough torque and the speed is crazy. I tried to stall the motor out by holding a tire and they shredded my output shafts immediately so now I need to get steel output shafts and cvd's. These have power!

The motors are stryker 480's for planes. They are the same size as the banebots and do not require any modifications of the links to fit them. Simply move the links to the outer position just like any other bigger motors.

The speed is crazy but with a good esc like my rooster crawler it can still be very precise. I am completely satisfied with the torque and don't mind the speed either. I think I might even try to find some really hard 2.2's or 1.9's and do some drifting these things are so fast.
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

now you really got me interested. so those motors broke your axles? do you think those cv's are stronger than the stock axles. i want to know if they get hot after crawling. i thought i heard someone say if you spin a fast motor slow they tend to get hot.

please keep us posted.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I wasn't able to run it long enough to find out if they get warm. Was just three wheeling and then front drive only after that. I will definitely keep you posted but it might be a week or so until I get it running again. I am going to try the steel output shafts first before I get the cvd's and see if that helps.

I also think the cvd's are much stronger than stock because you eliminate that outer plastic piece that the axle goes into, so no chance of stripping that out either.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

so I didn't break the output shaft right away like I thought, just bent and twisted the sh*t out of the axle. And also it came free with all of the play that is in there. after a little bit of work on straightening the axle and putting fuel line in to absorb some of the gap, I definitely tore the output shaft to pieces

Heres a couple pics:

But the gears are still intact and show no signs or wear....yet :?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Cool, so how much do the motors cost? What esc where you using?
nuke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Video is a must when your back up and running!
bl8zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The motor sere fairly cheap. $10.99 each so not too bad and I'm running a Novak Rooster Crawler.

I took a quick video of it last night with just 3-wheel drive and I'll post it later today. But I'll definitely get better video when it is back up and running hopefully by later this week.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

damn gunch, you really tore that thing up i finally made rear axles out of 3/16 alum tube- with the long servo screws cut down as the pins. she is working pretty good right now. i hope i dont bust that thing out either. i'll take running video of the rig in the next couple of days.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i finally made rear axles out of 3/16 alum tube- with the long servo screws cut down as the pins.
I never really thought about trying that. Got any pictures? I wanna see how you did it? I'm gonna go take a look at it now cause I can't wait to make something work for the CC and go do some real crawling.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

sure thing gunch. im actually working on my rig right now. still messing with my links. i'll post photos later today.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So I got everything fixed last night, took 'er out for a little bit today and the batteries seem to be dying really fast or not getting a full charge :?.

Anyways, I took some video that I'll post in a bit.

After about 15-20 of running, the batteries were fully drained and the motors were smoking, literally . I temped them quick and the front motor was about 225 and the rear was about 190! So is it because of the slow speeds or what?

Also, I had 8oz of weight in each front tire so maybe they were working too hard. The tires were getting hung up quite a bit due to the weight I believe. There was some signs of clod stall, but that is never going to be completely eliminated as the motors are wired in parallel and the power is going to go to the motor with the least resistance. I might try and wire them in series and see if that makes a difference but I really don't know what the difference is.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Heres a video of the speed, for some reason my other video won't upload but I'm working on it

Last edited by gunch; 11-22-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot video
Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

gunch, your rig is sweet. that soundtrack is awesome. i love it
Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

^thanks, almost ready for some comps, just need a dig and I think it should do pretty well.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

heres video of it crawling, don't forget the batteries were completely dead when I got to the top

at the end, the motors were smoking!

Last edited by gunch; 11-23-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

nice video. sick cliffclimber. she was doing it well
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

also, who is the music by?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I don't know who the music is by on either of them. I click I'm feeling lucky with the box for similar length songs every time and preview until I find something different that I like. I can't even find it under my account settings. Sorry