Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Turning radius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Turning radius

I have a horrible turning radius and will be getting a dig, but it would be nice to get a little more angle out of it. Tips, tricks, etc. Lets see some pics of everyones rigs lock to lock. I'll post tomorrow, but its not that impressive.
gunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

front wheel steering only? or 4ws?
turns on a dime with 4ws ... but I find it too twitchy. with the mechanical front dig it drags the rear so when Iw\swap to front wheel only it should cure the wide turning radius. A wide turning radius is mainly the result of locked axles, the front tends to push more than steer, hence the use of front/rear digs.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

is your stearing limited to the throw, or is there something (links, tires, shocks/springs causing clearence issues?
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

rockfrog: no 4ws, never had it. but yeah, I plan on a dig and know how it works, ready to go with a tq3 modded just need to sack up and buy the punk already.

not throw or links, it just doesn't seem like it wants to turn good, probably what rockfrog said about locked diffs. might try some toe in before I drop the coin on a punk.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

locked diffs' and a long wheelbase will make it turn like a frieghter. mine also has a turning radius of a semi and now my hitec is making a clicking sound
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #6

I tried running with only front steer for a while. Hated it. Especially since I stretched the wheelbase. However I had issues with the 4ws because sometimes you need the front to turn and the rear to stay straight to get a hold... the best bet is 4ws for tight turns.

I don't think you'd be able to get more turn out of the steering doing anything because of the dogbones in the axle. I mean you probably could but it would take a ton of work. (If you look between the steering hub and the axle housing you'll see the dogbone) At full turn mine are practically rubbing. Plus there's eventually the problem with the tires hitting the suspension links. Let me know how the toe in works out. :-P

Last edited by PoorBoyCrawler; 11-25-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: technical error (db not cvd lol)
PoorBoyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So, I tried a minor degree of toe in and it seems to do good at really slow speeds. However when I gave it a little more throttle, the wheels wanted to straighten themselves out? Not sure why. But I will try a little more sometime and see what happens. Still want to find a used punk dig.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

After doing a little more research on toe. I found out that it might be better to try and do toe out. From everything that I read, toe in helps with high speed stability and toe out helps with turn in response, but not necessarily radius but I'll give it a shot today. I got some pics to upload too.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

if you have an unused third channel add a small micro servo and a roller switch ... it's a mechanical dig wired into the rear motor. It makes a fair bit of difference to the turning radius. When I was running 4ws I was thinking of getting rid of it, but now with 2ws I'm keeping it.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've seen lots of people do this but I am opting to wait it out and get a punk dig. In the mean time, I'm just going to have to deal with it. I've never been in a comp and don't plan to be until spring time comes around anyways.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

By the way, here is my current max throw, side to side:

Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #12

Gunch- what chassis that? looks like a nice stretch to the base CC.
MaxxBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It is a custom chassis by papabash on here. It stretched the wheelbase to 12.5" and it has incredible ground clearance.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

that radius is normal for them and besides u dont have much room for any more turning. i think a micro servo/rs switch would be a better idea instead of a punk for it (much cheaper and it doesnt need to handle much amps)
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
that radius is normal for them and besides u dont have much room for any more turning. i think a micro servo/rs switch would be a better idea instead of a punk for it (much cheaper and it doesnt need to handle much amps)
Getting rid of her, so I don't need to think about it anymore.