Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: New cc owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New cc owner

Just picked up a new cliff climber looking to get it going as best i can for as cheap as i can... I got my own rockgarden to play in so got to get it done soon... on my way to hobbie store today to see what i can find....
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Changing wheels and tires and stretching the wheel base made the biggest difference on mine. Clocking the front axle and changing the servo was a big upgrade for the steering and locking out the rear steer. Good luck and have fun with it. There is alot of useful info in the forum.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Tossing a 12T pinion in the front axle is a nice cheap mod too.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks ... Hoping to stretch soon.. The tires i have are bigger then stock...

? i noticed the rear dont spin at slow rpms on a steep incline is that normal..
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to clod stall!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

dam it sucks I will try a couple tricks I have read on the board... Thanks for this board very helpful...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Stretching the wheelbase made the biggest difference on mine with clod stall. Weighting the wheels seemed to help also.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So far weighted wheels is just causing me more heat... BUT I might have too much, going to trim it back a lot. If money were no object, I'd consider going with the Novak 3 eighty motors, but I don't have $340 to just throw into the Cliffy. i do still need to stretch mine out still... DT, what links did you use on yours? Did you do custom, or use some from another model? I really just need something that I can get delivered... not a lot of tools/materiels to create custom links out here.
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I bought some STRC links that are for the axial, bent links (sta30445B 30 degree) for the lower and straight for the upper. I stretched my frame on mine so I just cut the links to the lenght I needed then drilled and tapped them for the studs. If you do that I would say to drill the links before you cut them so the bit will follow the original factory hole so it will be centered, then cut and tap. I used the traxxes rod ends with traxxes ball connectors (they come together traxxes part # 1942) On my sons CC that I bought used from TNCrawler he had some 112mm long straight links on the bottom and some links that he made out of the original links. I put the 122mm links on the top and used some of the strc bent links on the bottom and it clocked the axles right and gave it a good wheel base. The wheel base is between 12 and 12.5 inches. The links that are 112mm not sure what thay are off of but they have a long rod end so you might need a little longer if you use the traxxes rod ends. Not sure what shocks are on it, I put some on that were on a used axial I bought. They let it sag some so it has some droop built in. I think it might actually crawl better than mine, have'nt had a chance to try it just finished it last night. When I first started building mine over a year ago i thought the way to go was stretching the frame, but now I think it might work better lengthning the links as long as you set the shocks so it does'nt sit to high. I am building one for my daughter also and i think I am going to do it the same way as my sons. Hope this helps. Ask if you have any more questions. Keep up the good work and spirits. Thanks for what you do for our country.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You will also need the set screws for the rod ends. part # AXA186 that is the axial part #.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ijust got done with making some links.. i just used some alum tubing and cut the old ones in half and reused... now just got to make tabs for the shocks to mount on... also wieghted the wheels...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

hi folks..

I made my links for my son CC, I use 5mm ID tube.

the custom links was tested a lot in last weekend and they works fine!!

I have plans to make a new frame and this way more wheelbase, coming soon..
fabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

looking good.... tested mine out today works great... got pics but got to learn how to post on this forum
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #14

I wish i had a drill press. That would make a lot of projects easier. stretching the links is easier than building a new chassis. I do recommend the NAPA anti pinch brake line. you can bend it with out any special tools and the tubing will not pinch. The bent links turn out pretty nice, until you scrape them up on the rocks. I would actually like to see a crawl off on 2 12" CCs. one with links stretched and one with Chassis stretched. I wonder which one would win??? Of course motors and tires would have to be leveled to make it even.
MaxxBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i think the longer link has a good fight..... might get a little more articulation.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

here's mine...well 2 of em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzR6SPDEXzs
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

good looking Crawlers nice job