Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: A little bit of work/progress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A little bit of work/progress

Last night I finally got around to installing the metal gears into Cliffy. The plastic gears were still in excellent condition, even after I totally attempted to trash them with Iraq's help. I still haven't run her with them, but wow... the axles turn WAY better with them! There is also a SIGNIFIGANT difference in weight with the metal gears... I have about 1 1/2 oz of weight in each of the front Losi Carvers and no addl in the rears... I do not think I will be adding more weight, as it feels like it's going to be all that the stock motors will be able to handle with a 3s. Now I need the bearing kit to make her roll even smoother!

Next is getting the WB stretched out to 12-12.5 inches, and the 80mm G-Transition droop shocks. I've been thinking I need a dig setup as well, but am unsure of what route to go with... if I stay with brushed stock style motors, then definately I'll go with the Punk RC dig... but I've also been thinking of going with the dual Mongoose BL setup like RC Car Action did in the '09 Crawler edition... kinda spendy, I know, but would be insane...
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Are you still using the stock gearing and tires? The reason I ask is that I too am about to stretch my CC but when I do I think I need taller tires.
DinoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

stock gearing as far as ratios, but I put the metal gear sets in.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the stock gearing can be workable with the right motor combo. I like the fact that I've still got the ability to grab some air if I need to, with a better esc you'll get a lot of the slow speed control the left back on the design table.
Now, let's see it!
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

there's pics floating around on the CC forum... I posted pics a few weeks ago... Just been working some of the not seen parts lately.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

hey jude, when threading the alum tubes, use some type of lubricant. i ran the tap in as slow as possible, used alot of wd-40, and backed it out many times to clear the shavings. i bent my 1st tap by just "going for it." i prefer the small diameter tubing. lighter the better is my thoughts.

i dont know how long it'll take for that stuff to get there? more than 2 weeks? i hope not.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Nah, not that long... the APO priority usually only takes a week... I'll be checking the mailroom daily. BTW, thanks again... you are awesome!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Still waiting on the g-transitions so i still cannot say how Cliffy is doing on the rocks... I got the bearing kit in the other day, so now she has a full set of bearings instead of the bushings. I do have to say that with the bearings I had to trim the housing to make the idler gear and bearing not bind, as well as I had to deepen the disks that the spur gear bearings sit in, but all in all was a very easy install. Seems to have quieted cliffy down a bit, and she rolls easier now too!

It's a bummer having to wait for parts... I cannot drive either Cliffy or the LCC... cliffy just needs the shocks, and the LCC is still waiting for a sensored ESC... I may just order a MMP and motor combo, I have a Mamba Monster that some day I can use it and the motor that comes with the MMP in a go fast car...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

YAY! Shocks came in today! Got them assembled and installed... I'll get pics up later tonight or in the AM when the internet sucks less... Cliffy sits about 1/4 inch higher than I was wanting, but maybe the springs will settle out and break in and take care of that. She still articulates a bit too much, I think, but we'll see tomorrow... as long as it doesn't rain here tonight...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Cool, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Please show pics of something....anything.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

here are a few pics...

Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

How do you like the shocks? I am thinking of trying some. Looks like they are almost horizontal. Have you had a chance to try it out? Keep up the good work.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So far so good... yeah, almost horizontal, but the seem to work well. I'm thinking that one of the next things to get are the big bore mounts for Cliffy to bring them up more... make the setup kinda like on the LCC. The shocks have a little spring to them, they have the droop spring, yes, but it's like 80% droop and 20% spring, really makes her handle the flat terrain well. The bearings really unlocked a lot of speed, before she ran at a walking pace, now she's a a slow jog... I'm still running 3s LiPo's, but sharing the 1300mA packs with the LCC, seems to have about a 45 min runtime per pack. I wasn't able to try the rocks yet, as it rained last night, and the mud out here is loaded with salt, so it'll eat just about everything it touches... not to mention I hate mud.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ooops... I forgot to replace the main gear output cups, and blew one out tonight... Cliffy was going well up until she went 3 wheel drive on me... Steel output cups and CVD's are on order!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Got the replacement steel outputs, and a set of CVD's in the mail yesterday, tried testfiting them together, and wow what a difference in fit! There is very little slop between the CVD's and the cups. I may just order a set of CVD's for the rear as well, just to eliminate the slop! I'll get these installed either tonight, or tomorrow night...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #16

I was wondering how good the CVD's were, thanks for the update/review of them. I am going to get 2 sets soon now that I know they fit better!!
StaffordCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Cvd's wont twist from torque like the stk dogbones do, had to replace the rear with cvd's because of this.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I've got a big change for Cliffy coming up really soon...