Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Cliff Buster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Cliff Buster

After seeing two clod climbers here made me want to mess with the CC again. Some may have remembered the bug project a while ago. Well that's gone because it wouldn't have been a good enough onroader to me. Then I turned it back into a crawler. I didn't like how that went so that chassis went back to tlt axles. Now I already have a good stockish clod but got tired of it. So I removed the axles and threw cc axles under. Nothing else had been changed besides dropping the body to the lowest position on the chassis. Yes the tires rub on everything! They are the same links used on the clod which really stretched it out a bit too much. This is just a mock up and I will not run it this way. Ultimately it will be a 1.9 scaler. I will try to get the stance as correct as possible. The only major mod would be tucking the belly in.

Unfortunately this will not be finished for awhile =( Let me know whatcha think.

Last edited by Fobby; 02-16-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

wow... nice! I think I could drive my cliffy under there!
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks. I think it would roll over first before you could drive it under there ;) It is pretty narrow.

Did a little work to it. The belly has been tucked, wheelbase corrected, and shocks mounted (temporary postion). Yes it does looks much more tame than before. One day if I ever get some 1.9's it should look much better...I hope

This is how it sits right now:

Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #4

That's looking good. These CCs are so cheap that I'd like to buy an ARR version just for the axles incase I ever get off of my butt and try making a scaler!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks. These axles should make great scalers because it's the only MOA that has the width of a tlt when using standard wheel hexes. Not having to mess with shafts and trannies should cut the build time in no time! If I had the time, money, and motivation this would definitely be a better scaler.

The bad part of this build will be coughing up the dough for 1.9 wheels and tires. That's about 60-80 bucks, which I do not went to spend right now :(
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i was wondering when someone was going to take a clod chassis &use it for a scaler, i had thought about it too. i have 2 ax10,s &a homebuilt mud truck using pede tranny &ax10 diffs, but id like to redo it just linking my axles to the clod chassis &sitting the pede tranny in where the servo orig. mounted on the stock chassis. i like your idea but i like to see the driveshafts under the truck . nice work.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks, if I can get the stance close enough would be okay for me.

Having a shafty setup would definitely be better and more scale I do have tlt axles and have thought about it, but right now I don't have a tranny sitting around. I am trying to spend as little as possible and put in as less work as possible.

Yeah you should try it if you have parts and time sitting around. It should look great when done up right. Just remember there will be bits of plastic everywhere!

I just got the steering servo mounted to the chassis. It seems to work fine.

Last edited by Fobby; 02-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
Thanks. These axles should make great scalers because it's the only MOA that has the width of a tlt when using standard wheel hexes. Not having to mess with shafts and trannies should cut the build time in no time! If I had the time, money, and motivation this would definitely be a better scaler.

The bad part of this build will be coughing up the dough for 1.9 wheels and tires. That's about 60-80 bucks, which I do not went to spend right now :(
Keep your eye on the For Sale section on this site if you're not against buying used. I've seen Losi Claws and Flat Irons on Axial beadlocks more than once. They usueally in good shape and cost much less than you'd pay to buy them new.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I saw some on ebay this morning cheap and also locally on Craigs List for $40.
Ramset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

You guys are right. I could buy them used! I guess I'm not used to purchasing second hand items that aren't local. It's usually an online shop or lhs. My craigslist is filled with your typical rc's. I would be shocked to see a scaler or anything related to it.

So I decided to pull Wild Willy out of storage. Mounted the cracked tires to touring wheels just to get a taste for 1.9's and to see how they look. Glad that the tires didn't tear apart

Edit, got some proper wheels. Unfortunately I had to spend 15 bucks on these. Will convert them to functional beadlocks in the future.

Last edited by Fobby; 02-19-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #11

that thing oughta own the mud hole
vinster888 is offline   Reply With Quote