Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Rear steer lockout so you can still mount stuff on rear axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

Default Rear steer lockout so you can still mount stuff on rear axle

I wanted to lower my center of gravity and move some of the electronics around. The problem I kept having was with rear locked out the common way. Threaded rod with rod ends screwed to servo mount post. So i got to thinking and did some playing around and on whim tried something and to my suprise it worked. If you take a Traxxas rod end and pop out the center piece ( silver swivel piece ) the rod end will then slide over the top of the servo post. I then used a couple of the bushing I had laying around from bearing upgrade and drilled them out a hair to fill gap. You can then reinstall servo mount ( I removed both servo posts ). This gives you a flat service to mount second battery, ESC, or receiver on rear axle. It seems to be a little bit stronger then mounting link to top, as the plastic doesn't flex as much from being mounted up top. I also have broken a couple post off with it mounted up top.

Okay before you start asking for pictures, I will post them up this weekend when I find where wife hid the camera.
bill400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just did that last night to mount my battery to the rear... lol. To keep the battery from trying to turn, I just glued the servo post, in line with the gear box, on the servo plate. I've always had the steering lockout on the plate mounting posts though...
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yep, works great, I did this when I removed the rear steering from my CC. All I did though was attach the drag link to the opposite side post (popped the ball out and slid the link end over as mentioned). Then I adjusted my drag link to re-center (dubro turnbuckle and traxxas ends) and moved the tie rod to the inner holes on the knuckles to give it a little rear toe out (it helped with the reduced streering)
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

How much did the toe-out help with the turning?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yep, thats how mine is done as well.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Actually a lot more than I had hoped, it's not crazy tight turning radius but I don't need a parking lot to make a turn anymore. if you Click the CC link in my sig and the last update has a vid of my little girl bashing the CC. it was toed out and locked in that vid.

edit - just remembered you're in the land of youtube blackouts. let me know if it works ... if not I'll throw up a music free one of just the mid vid romp where you can see the turning ability

Last edited by Rockfrog; 02-11-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

OK, I'm sold... gonna get that set up tonight, but still waiting on my new shocks, so I'll try it when they get in...
Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

very nice idea and set up.... you ran it around much yet?
RockGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #10

Only tried it out in the basement a little bit. Not much to crawl on down there. But seems to work perfect to me. If the stinking white stuff would stop falling out of the sky, I could get out and try it on the rocks.