Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: DCC w/ AX10 shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default DCC w/ AX10 shocks

I used to have a Duratrax Cliff Climber. I made some simple aluminum brackets that extended the shock mounting area. Then I put AX10 shocks on it, with really light springs. The former owner also extended the lower control arms.

When I first bought the rig, I noticed that the articulation of the axles was limited by the small amount of shock travel. Thus the reason for the longer shocks. After the mod, it flexed like crazy!

I just joined this forum, and saw there is a Cliff Climber section, so I thought I would share this for anyone looking for ideas to modify their DCC. I did not have too much money into it, either. A strip of 3' x 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum, a couple small nuts and bolts, Axial AX-10 shocks, and some brand of aftermarket light springs. Well, maybe it was around $40 or $50. Anyhow, here are a couple pictures of it:

Name:  Cliff Climber 1.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  158.9 KB

Name:  Cliff Climber 2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  76.7 KB

Thanks,
JB

Last edited by Josh_Br; 09-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #2

Default Re: DCC w/ AX10 shocks

Thanks for the idea, I still have my C.C. and have been diddling with the articulation and shock location. It is a easy platform to work with.
FlatwaterMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatwaterMG View Post
Thanks for the idea, I still have my C.C. and have been diddling with the articulation and shock location. It is a easy platform to work with.
Sure, no problem. I wish I still have the pictures of during the build process and with the body off, but I think I deleted them.

Do you know what the story is with DCC's? I tried looking for one on eBay, thinking of my son, but there was not one to be had. Can they still be found to purchase?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I haven't seen any for a while now ... I was looking for one (for parts or another tinker project) about a montha ago.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
I haven't seen any for a while now ... I was looking for one (for parts or another tinker project) about a montha ago.
Hey I clicked your links, your tube buggy crawler is sweet! Very cool.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks ... been out of Rc for a while (18mos or so) just getting back into things ... lots of rebuilds in order.

this is my Cliff Climber

My Cliff Climber Update
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks ... been out of Rc for a while (18mos or so) just getting back into things ... lots of rebuilds in order.

this is my Cliff Climber

My Cliff Climber Update
That makes me wish I still had my Cliff Climber . That's about par for all of my RC stuff...wish I still had it. Getting back into it now with an AX-10. Anyhow, I really like your lengthened wheelbase. It looks very cool. I also like how you can kill the rear motor to do a front dig. Very sweet.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #8

kinda thinking about selling mine or trading it off for a diffrent crawler i like the single motor setups better
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
kinda thinking about selling mine or trading it off for a diffrent crawler i like the single motor setups better
I can relate. However, I was thinking about trying to find an inexpensive Cliff Climber for my son to drive. If you decide to sell it, please let me know how much you are asking.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
That makes me wish I still had my Cliff Climber . That's about par for all of my RC stuff...wish I still had it. Getting back into it now with an AX-10. Anyhow, I really like your lengthened wheelbase. It looks very cool. I also like how you can kill the rear motor to do a front dig. Very sweet.
Thanks, as for wish I had ... I still have them all ... wife calls me a packrat.
I may have to unload a few down the road, but I got too many projects in my head to do that.
I was actually surprised at how many parts for these are actually still available from Tower and on ebay.
I've always liked the looks of the stock body. Too bad mine won't fit anymore.
It's currently down with a twisted front shaft, but I have the CVD's to replace them with (and 4 sets of spare dogbones just in case).
for a cheap crawler I was surprised at how well it actually worked.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks, as for wish I had ... I still have them all ... wife calls me a packrat.
I may have to unload a few down the road, but I got too many projects in my head to do that.
I was actually surprised at how many parts for these are actually still available from Tower and on ebay.
I've always liked the looks of the stock body. Too bad mine won't fit anymore.
It's currently down with a twisted front shaft, but I have the CVD's to replace them with (and 4 sets of spare dogbones just in case).
for a cheap crawler I was surprised at how well it actually worked.
That's great you still have yours, I think I am slowly learning not to be so quick to sell off toys.

DCC w/ AX10 shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ax10 shocks sullysracin Newbie General 3 02-12-2010 06:44 AM
Shocks for AX10 Lance365 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 04-09-2009 10:02 PM
What are the best Shocks for the AX10? BostonHxC Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 02-12-2009 08:50 AM