Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Ross' Cliff Climber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ross' Cliff Climber Build

I realize that this has been done just about EVERY way possible... and that its really hard to polish a turd...

I have a VERY dialed LCC/NC so for fun (and the fact we got two of these for $13 each new) I decided to play around with a CC build... the ones we got were not RTR so it allowed us to play a little more without having tons of spares...

My first "go round" with this in fairly stock configuration left me really bummed that it could barely get over a pebble without clod-stalling...

The progression has landed me where I am now... with only motors left (be here saturday.. Banebot 390s)

Heres the layout currently:
Stock Chassis and Axles
LNC Upper Links used for lowers
CC "C" Links used for uppers
Novak Rooster Crawler on 2s
Stock 5000 Motors in Parallel
Castle BEC
Futaba R603GF (4PL TX)
Hitec 985MG Front Servo
Traxxas 2075 Rear Servo
Threaded Front Buggy Shocks all the way around
LNC Wheels with Rock Claws (8oz front, 3oz rear)

Where I am with very little droop is at 11" axle to axle... I plan on finding much softer springs so I can droop it down to around 11.5"... Will be replacing the motors saturday and gears to 10T... and get it on the rocks at the house to see how it goes... I dont really do much fabrication but I am actually enjoying the difficulty of making this thing work...

Orgnoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Nobody

Can't beat 13 bucks. Got any video?
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Not yet... just got the Banebots in today and working on getting them in after a long day of offroad track rebuilding...
Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgnoi1 View Post
Not yet... just got the Banebots in today and working on getting them in after a long day of offroad track rebuilding...
Did you have to move your links all around? I just put 2 banebots in two of my 6x6 axles, and I thought they were 390's. I had to move all the links to the outboard side of the axle mount and trim a little bit off the inside.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post
Did you have to move your links all around? I just put 2 banebots in two of my 6x6 axles, and I thought they were 390's. I had to move all the links to the outboard side of the axle mount and trim a little bit off the inside.
I moved them outboard... but I didnt have to trim anything with the buggy shocks.....
Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Of course since I am done with the build its been raining... driving around in my garage the banebots on the 11t pinions seems VERY fast... also running it up and pushing against the garage door where I had stall before is non-existant now... I have one more trick up my sleeve which will be the final change and I am pretty sure I will be happy with this thing...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Heres an idea of the amount of room with the BaneBots in... its super close but nothing is binding...

Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

OK so for an update... I ran the truck with the stock 11t pinions and still had stall... it wasnt as bad as before and the crawler with the banebots is WAY faster than I would have expected... these motors on 2s are super efficient... so I am at a crossroads which one road is a definate and one I am not so sure about... I have a M2 Dig coming for this truck... it should fix ALL of the stall (I would assume)... so I am on the fence about switching the rear gear to a 10t...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #9
Nobody

Quote:
OK so for an update... I ran the truck with the stock 11t pinions and still had stall... it wasnt as bad as before and the crawler with the banebots is WAY faster than I would have expected... these motors on 2s are super efficient... so I am at a crossroads which one road is a definate and one I am not so sure about... I have a M2 Dig coming for this truck... it should fix ALL of the stall (I would assume)... so I am on the fence about switching the rear gear to a 10t...
Well, my 6x6 is a little different, and also has larger 2.2 rock crushers, but having 3 esc's seemed to make very little difference in clod stall when compared to 1 esc powering all three motors. Im not sure what the weight difference between your weighted claws and my un-weighted crushers is.

Banebots and 9T's on the front and rear axles, on 2S, (with 3 esc's) also didn't have a chance. I think I'm going need three banebots and three 9T's to have a chance on 2S. I know that 3S will fix it, but these axles won't have a chance.

Let me know if you find a good setup.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Well, my 6x6 is a little different, and also has larger 2.2 rock crushers, but having 3 esc's seemed to make very little difference in clod stall when compared to 1 esc powering all three motors. Im not sure what the weight difference between your weighted claws and my un-weighted crushers is.

Banebots and 9T's on the front and rear axles, on 2S, (with 3 esc's) also didn't have a chance. I think I'm going need three banebots and three 9T's to have a chance on 2S. I know that 3S will fix it, but these axles won't have a chance.

Let me know if you find a good setup.
Thats a lot of power distribution for a single 2s... or are you running a 2s per? I had zero issues with stalling on the front axle where the 9oz of weight is per wheel... my stall is specific to just the rear motor/axle... I am lucky that I bought a built up Cliffy from a member here with the metal gearing in the tranny... I do think that having the 1t difference may help out as the front wheels appear to be doing most of the pulling while the lighter rears seem to get stuck more being bound up underneath...

Also with your build... the banebots appear to pull a LOT more amps... so I would be sure that they at a minimum arent sharing a battery with the stock motor... that will surely put that motor into stall since electricity will take the path of least resistance (ohms laws) which will mean that they will more or less suck all the power through the banebots leaving the smaller CC motor to stall...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Nobody

Quote:
Thats a lot of power distribution for a single 2s... or are you running a 2s per? I had zero issues with stalling on the front axle where the 9oz of weight is per wheel... my stall is specific to just the rear motor/axle... I am lucky that I bought a built up Cliffy from a member here with the metal gearing in the tranny... I do think that having the 1t difference may help out as the front wheels appear to be doing most of the pulling while the lighter rears seem to get stuck more being bound up underneath...

Also with your build... the banebots appear to pull a LOT more amps... so I would be sure that they at a minimum arent sharing a battery with the stock motor... that will surely put that motor into stall since electricity will take the path of least resistance (ohms laws) which will mean that they will more or less suck all the power through the banebots leaving the smaller CC motor to stall...
When I started with 1 esc, it was one 3700 2s. With the 3 esc's, one is powered by a 2s and the other two off another 2s, which was one banebot and one stock motor. I have 4 small 1600 2s lipos. I'll try it with each esc getting it's own battery. I have 3 new banebots coming, so they'll all be uniform.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Another update... the M2 came in and I installed it... the glitching was terrible...come to find out that the combo of that... a 10a BEC and the Futaba R2104GF is just not seemingly a good combo... no matter where I moved everything it glitched... as soon as I removed the BEC everything was fine... it took a bit to figure out how to program the 4PL for 4ws AND front/rear dig... but I have it now... I am not sure if I like electrical dig as much as mechanical... it doesnt seem to hold the wheels as well... even at the highest setting for the dig AND drag brake at its highest setting...

I also thought I had a 10t from the guy I bought the spare crawler from... but I cant find it... so I tore off the rear axle for nothing this morning...

Last edited by Orgnoi1; 04-24-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Here are the last two pics for a while... I decided to go with my LNCs old body since it fits perfectly... and keep my yellow body for shelf...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
Nobody

Look'd good. Did you get any run time with the M2? Clod stall?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Theres still "some" stall from what I am seeing in the garage... its not terrible but its there... unfortunately I am having to take some advantage to the decent morning weather to move a huge dirt sifting box to the RC offroad track with my bobcat and I may go cut some more of the new layout... so work first... if time later play...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Nice rigs
I'd like to know where/ how you got them for $13???
tootallcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootallcrawl View Post
Nice rigs
I'd like to know where/ how you got them for $13???
Well (): ) .... we had a local toy store that was dabbling in hobby grade RCs... our area is fairly strange when it comes to RCing... no real offroad tracks locally (yet) except for mine and theres a fairly decent saturation of shops that ALL dont do too great...

So...a friend of mine and I bought up the remaining inventory that they had at 75% off listed price... well the girl ringing us up was putting the full price on the receipt and then taking 75% off the total... she wrongly priced it on the receipt for the 75% off... and then took 75% off of that ... it was listed at $200 (way over priced but we didnt know that) so she first listed it at $55 on the receipt... and then took the discount off... ...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

UPDATE:
I put in the 10t pinion in the rear and went out on the rocks... I notice a couple things...

1. The banebots draw MASSIVE amounts of power... I went through a 1800/2s 20c in maybe 5 minutes...
2. I had the foams cut too much... it was still binding in areas that it wouldnt allow for any spin... I am going with my OEM LCC wheels and non-cut foams...
3. I lost a LOT of clod stall with the 10t... but I think even with that I am going to get a 9t and run f10t and r9t to lower the gearing down...
4. The banebots dont react well to dig... they still roll slightly when its set to the highest setting in the ESC... that could be inherent to electrical dig... never used it before...

From minute one I started on the project I didnt expect to have a MOA high end crawler... and every change I have made has helped just a little... this thing will definately crawl at most places... our rocks here are super jagged and it doesnt do AS well as my LNCC....
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
Nobody

[QUOTE=Orgnoi1;3064777]UPDATE:

1. The banebots draw MASSIVE amounts of power... I went through a 1800/2s 20c in maybe 5 minutes...
QUOTE]

thats concerning. I'm gonna get about 3 minutes of run time with three banebots.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Quote:
UPDATE:

thats concerning. I'm gonna get about 3 minutes of run time with three banebots.
Its definately an issue... I think I could strap two packs onboard with a parallel connector... the other issue was the temps (not really an "issue") but I had significantly higher temps on the front motor at 121.x degrees compared to the 89.x on the rear... another reason to bring down the teeth by one on both...