RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   East Coast Championship (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/east-coast-championship/)
-   -   2013 ECC Scaler Jam (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/east-coast-championship/430112-2013-ecc-scaler-jam.html)

Fishmaxx 02-20-2013 09:12 AM

2013 ECC Scaler Jam

Still working out all the exact details!

Gone is the marathon run though the woods:twisted:

Think Monster Truck Jam meets American Ninja Warrior meets Wipe Out"thumbsup"

It will be a closed course near ECC Command with several man made obstacles integrated in the natural terrain.

Winching and wetness will definitely be on the menu.

Note: Colby has some badass sketches he will be uploading soon.

Fishmaxx 02-20-2013 05:38 PM

Re: 2013 ECC Scaler Jam

Through the process of developing this scale jam format we went through lots of trial and error. We also had several unexpected questions and situations come up. The concept morphed several time as things came up.

We adjusted the format accordingly.

1) Classes 1.9 and 2.2 (Trying to keep it simple, but I know some people will try push it with comp trucks disguised as "scalers")

2)Repositions are Allowed. Back to previous check point.

3)Repairs done on clock

4)Driver Safety Repositions are Allowed

5)Winching through any obstacle is allowed. (Portable Winch available to assist if needed)

6)Driver must drive the obstacles as intended. (Example: Approach ramps to bridges are NOT jump ramps)

7)Course courtesy. Most obstacles are built to withstand being driven on, but not the power of a tangled up truck with brush less motors.

8)Course Repair. If a man made obstacle becomes "BROKEN" it will be repaired OFF THE CLOCK.
Example: Bridge falls over or collapses.

Alot of time, effort, and expense went into providing these man made obstacles for EVERYONE to enjoy. Please don't destroy them and ruin the fun for the drivers that follow in your effort to win.

Colby 02-20-2013 05:39 PM

Fish and I have been talking about this for a while now. We dont want anyone to get a work out from running behind their RC car at East Coast Championships this year. We wanted to do something that appeals to everyone. This year, slow will be fast. Winching, line choice, and knowing your rig is what is going to win the event.

We want to keep this extremely close to HQ (which is just behind where we normally have the tents) we want to use what the great LRC crawl spot gives us, but at the same time build some badass man-made obstacles. I seem to be able to make objects appear and make sense on a peice of paper with a pencil, so here is what I have been working on.

First off, I wanted a scale "frame twister" type obstacle with everything people in real life are scared of. Logs, pipes, rocks, buried riff-raff, all that is damp and slippery. My idea is to build a frame from plywood where the bottom is sealed so dirt and logs can be secured inside of it and moved around. I also tossed the idea of a sand pit in there as well.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8...1632107671.jpg
Untitled by colby419, on Flickr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8...68e321ebb1.jpg

This event will have Laps, kind of like an Ultra 4 race. We want to setup a go pro at the end of the course like they do at the real KOH, and build a freestyle ramp with some boundaries and a "I dont want to jump line" That consists of a tough obstacle you have to crawl if you dont want to jump. No jump = slower time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8...a7331c8482.jpg

We have had a few scale comps here in GA where we have used a plastic drainage pipe to crawl through, however it isnt just driving through a flat pipe, its been bent, so you have to crawl in one side, run to the other side and watch the rig come back down through it. I then added in some filler, and a bridge up over the top of it. I love this obstacle.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8...ce7cbbce83.jpg

Then, everyones favorite scale obstacles, bridges. I just drew a couple up id like to build for this event.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8...b57586397e.jpg

Hope this fires you guys up a little bit, more details and more obstacles coming soon! If you have any ideas please feel free to PM me!

chicklet 02-20-2013 05:46 PM

I got just the rig for this beating!

Colby 02-20-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicklet (Post 4192003)
I got just the rig for this beating!

We want to encourage ALL scalers to come and compete. I will be testing the course with my 1.9 and LEAF SPRUNG toyota with a 35t motor, as well as my 2.2 southern buggy with REAR STEERING and tekin pro 4.

We will get into how the "Classes" everyone can enter will be scored and what not "thumbsup"

kikcaffine 02-20-2013 09:48 PM

sweet

Grimreeper 02-20-2013 11:19 PM

My Topkick will be ready for such a challenge. I guess winching is okay. For me it is always more fun to actually have to climb the obstacle rather than have an awesome winch. If you have to touch your rig you could just have a reset point and have to run things all over again. It just depends on what exactly your trying to scale your truck after.

binaryterror 02-21-2013 07:13 AM

My wraith sounds like a fun candidate for this. Especially anything involving jumps and water, now that its waterproofed.

Colby 02-21-2013 07:26 AM

I think we will be doing a mud pit as a bonus line. Hit the mud pit during one of your laps (probably going to do 3 laps) and you get like a 1 minute deduction of time. I dont want to make anyone get their stuff wet if they dont want to. When i say wet, i mean just enough water on the stuff to make it slippery

Badd 02-21-2013 07:49 AM

date set yet ?

chicklet 02-21-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badd (Post 4192931)
date set yet ?

2013 East Coast Championship

Szczerba 02-21-2013 08:35 AM

Dang it. I have been upping my cardio workouts to get ready for this scale event. Guess I can back off now. Thanks ECC!

ROWDY RACING 02-21-2013 08:36 AM

I remember when ECC was for comp rigs...

Fishmaxx 02-21-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 4193014)
I remember when ECC was for comp rigs...

Its called value added.....gives drivers something to do.....plus is I am hoping some "Scaler Only" guys come for this and get hooked on comp crawling.

The closed scaler course at Motorama was very popular.

ROWDY RACING 02-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishmaxx (Post 4193112)
Its called value added.....gives drivers something to do.....plus is I am hoping some "Scaler Only" guys come for this and get hooked on comp crawling.

The closed scaler course at Motorama was very popular.

I hope it gets scalers into comp and not the opposite.

I was just thinking, and have had others tell me the time and energy could be used to make the comp side bigger and better than ever.

I love this event and comp crawling, I want both to last a long time. "thumbsup"

Fishmaxx 02-21-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 4193130)
I was just thinking, and have had others tell me the time and energy could be used to make the comp side bigger and better than ever.

What should we focus on to make bigger and better on the comp side?

The number of drivers + course time limits are already maxed out due to available daylight. Past experience has taught me that 6 course is close to the limit due to judges willing to step up.

ECC courses are built by drivers from all over the country (outside AL). Is there something we should be doing differently there?

Every ECC has had a hiccup or 2, so NOT having scale does not prevent problems. Only one has had a scale event linked to it, and from my point of view Scale didn't cause any additional headache only added a TON of fun.

As far as making the comp side of things better I am open for suggestions."thumbsup"

Grimreeper 02-21-2013 10:40 AM

What kind of ideas do you have to make the comp side bigger and better. We could do that along with the scale events.

ROWDY RACING 02-21-2013 10:49 AM

Nevermind did not want to ruffle feathers, just a die hard comp guy, that's all.

Fishmaxx 02-21-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 4193249)
Nevermind did not want to ruffle feathers, just a die hard comp guy, that's all.

I am always open to good ideas.

EXAMPLE:I didn't invent the free crawl system, but I was the 1st major comp to use it. Now it the norm"thumbsup"

Take it off line if you feel it will ruffle less feathers.

ROCKEDUP RICKY 02-21-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 4193249)

I like my feather ruffled.:) Lets hear it.