Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Silicone window sealant Okay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Silicone window sealant/ESC... Okay?

I have some Prematex silicone "flowable" window sealant I am waterproofing the case of my rooster CE with. Just wanna make sure it's electronics friendly before I put a 2nd layer on. It just seems to be a thinner formula.

Last edited by solomon7; 01-10-2008 at 11:49 PM.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Anyone? IT's basically just like the regular stuff but made a bit thinner (slower cure) to seep into cracks.Iti seems ideal.
It just doesn't say specifically that it's for electronics. I looked at the MSDS on it and the only dif is a lower % of silicon, and some other ethyl..... stuff I assume to make it thinner.
If anyone knows chemicals, I'd really appreciate your insight!
Can't seem to make a link for it but it's on the Permatex site under sealants.

Thanks all!!

Last edited by solomon7; 01-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I would say no, simply because if you ever needed to send it in for repairs or warranty they are not gonna like that. A better bet would be to find a small "project box" ( I think Grizzly4x4 has used some from Radio Shack) or the one that has caught my interest is the waterproof electronics box for the newest version of the Traxxas E-Maxx. Also having the esc inside a box as opposed yo "dipped" is cooling will be practicaly none if you dip it in goo, at least there would be some air around it inside a sealed box.

Just My opinion though.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm just sealing the edges of the case's seams not the board inside. It's going in a balloon after that. just a preventative measure.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

just double wrap that sucker and double zip tie it with a shot of grease in between the zip ties. No water getting in that. Im going to do the same. Does your rooster get warm at all? I run mine as hard as I can and it is still cool to the touch.

Im gonna seal those 8 holes on the top of the axles also. I did a shallow water run (tire high water) And when I took my axles apart, water poured out of them and a couple of my bearings where half seized. Im still going to do a full axle and tranny rebuild after a day of water though. Did Axial ever release a replacement bearing kit yet?
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote