Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #781

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Interesting comparisons! I like seeing my ESC used in other types of vehicles!
Thanks John! Your ESC really smart
ray34567540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #782
Pebble Pounder

That was a pretty cool test. We dont' see that application here very often at all either. Glad to see our little powerhouse speedo in that HUGE tractor trailer!
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
That was a pretty cool test. We dont' see that application here very often at all either. Glad to see our little powerhouse speedo in that HUGE tractor trailer!
Thank's Randy! Does the v030 firmware is the final version or there is a newer version will be release in the future?

Last edited by ray34567540; 05-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.
ray34567540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #784
Pebble Pounder

Yes there will always be future improvements...if we find something to change that improves performance, it gets applied.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #785

just got my fxr installed on my ax10.. love it so far! thanks for the great review!
874runnersr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #786
Quarry Creeper

wow, just found this post. needless to say i just bought one last year, loved it so much when i build mt scx10 i used it there, and i will continue using it.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #787
Rock Stacker

I have read most of every page, and its all great. I would like to share my experiences with this little ESC.
First off I would venture to guess the firmware has come a long ways since the first post of this thread.
I did some trading and got my 1st crawler couple years ago. Had a Rooster C, 2s lipo, 55t Integy. Worked decent, occasionally the drag brake didnt come on fast, but it was good for my occasional usage.
Wanted to go 3s for a little more power/wheel speed. Started reading about this FXR and was sold. So I bought FXR, 1300 20c 3s lipos, and thew it togather. First impression, WAY more rowdy. Was very smooth in forward but reverse was like a teenage driver, NOT easy on the gas. And with a jr8711 and 3s a BEC was a must! The steering would get slightly bound up and the FXR temp lights would be at max within seconds. This was one thing that was never a prob with the 2s/Rooster combo. But I understand why this is, just a heads up for guys wanting a 3s setup.
Now that I had it I wanted to tweek it so a Hotwire was a must. Had the software downloaded before I even had the HW. Was very easy to get it up and running even on Vista. 1st thing I did was the 030 Firmware update.
My hope was to just cure the reverse glitch with a update. Boy was I wrong. The update not only made reverse BUTTER smooth, but forward was a whole new level of crawling, the feeling was like the batt was dead, or the tires were bound up, when everything was fine. It was just slower than ANYTHING I had ever experienced. I seriously nailed lines that I previously thought were too tough. 2nd the update gives you more options for adjustment.
My next step is to try a 45t motor.
Setup is a AX10
DMG chassis
FXR
Spektrum TX/RX
Integy 55T
CC BEC
3s 25c 1300mAh
DS8711
225MG
Steel trans gears
14/90 gears
Hurtz Dig
MIP Shafts
RC4WD wheels
Chisels
Losi NC Shocks

44newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #788

Default Fxr

Installed FXR today and I agree with the last post this is a new level of crawling.This ESC crawls so smooooothe and slow it is remarkable the performance difference.The programming is easy and fast and it is so small I could fit 4 of them where the old one was.The only improvement I can think of would be a longer wire for the Rx plug in.Losi puts the ESC location 9" from the Rx so I had to put an extension on.
Igore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #789
Rock Stacker

So I had a small issue with reverse. It was a lot smoother than my old rooster but it wasnt as smooth as forward. I was sure there was an adjustment to cure it but it can take some figuring to get there.
I also have a beef with Tekin. I was hoping to throw a couple of Qs in their forum. So I registered, No response, registered again after a day or so. No response, ever. That was over 2 months ago.
Anyways, well reverse was a little jumpy, it was like one throttle click higher than forward. After screwing with every setting and no solution I noticed Brake profile setting. Obviously a hotwire only adjustable setting. I dropped it down to 1 from 5, the default setting. and wallah.
Super smooth and slow reverse.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #790
Pebble Pounder

44Newman, shoot me what email address you used to sign up and I'll see what I can find out. It shouldn't have taken that long so something must have gone wrong.

Rpike@teamtekin.com
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #791
Rock Stacker

I just installed the fx-r/45t combo in my TR scx10 and wow what a difference from the stock electronics! I like the low speed precision climbing that the fxr gives me and no more jerky sudden acceleration.

I have a question: my esc is powered by a 7.2v 3000mah nimh. I'm looking to install the hitec 645mg servo. Will I need a separate BEC with this setup?
Serolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #792
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serolf View Post
I just installed the fx-r/45t combo in my TR scx10 and wow what a difference from the stock electronics! I like the low speed precision climbing that the fxr gives me and no more jerky sudden acceleration.

I have a question: my esc is powered by a 7.2v 3000mah nimh. I'm looking to install the hitec 645mg servo. Will I need a separate BEC with this setup?
You won't need one, but the advantages of a bec are always a plus. Worst case scenario, plug in the 645, run her around, if theres no amping out, keep runnin her around.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #793
I wanna be Dave

X2 on that response.

My Father-In-Law runs a 645 on his Tekin FX-R without a single amping issue. However my brother can't seem to go 2 feet without getting bound up and amping the rig

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #794
Rock Stacker

Watch the temp lights on the FXR, when the steering gives up check the lights and see if all are lit, indicates to hot. It took mine split second to be at max temp.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #795
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
X2 on that response.

My Father-In-Law runs a 645 on his Tekin FX-R without a single amping issue. However my brother can't seem to go 2 feet without getting bound up and amping the rig

Too funny, 1 of my fxr's was the same way, went out to drive, and almost insta amp out. Other than that esc, i have noticed they run fairly well with no bec if: you are running a 2 cell lipo and no 3rd channel (winch/dig/etc), in this scenario i have no amping out, and no overly high temps. On my 3 cell 2250mah, 55T and no 3rd channel, with no bec it does okay, but gets a tad hot, especially with my 5955tg. I had it shut down from over heating only a couple times, and decided to let her sit till i got another bec (once you go bec, you wont go back ). If you are running a 3rd channel for who knows what, run a bec from the get go. Now i only run 3 cell lipos and the majority of my rigs have 3 channels, sooo my fxr's have bec's and i swap them in and out of rigs. If you have $20 for the bec, get it, and if you have another $20 for the castle link, get it as well, if you don't have the extra $ for the castle link, find a buddy who has one till you can pick one up.

On a side note.... Lately my motors have been feeling "tired" in my berg, so i plugged her into the hot link to change stuff and noticed a software update (must have been a while since i checked it ). So I updated the software last night to the 30, and from the little driving i did in the dark it is amazing. I can't believe how a software update could change the esc so much, if you have an fxr, get the hotlink, you won't regret it.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #796
Pebble Pounder

Amping out is relative to who's driving. I don't tend to have the wheels cranked unless I'm moving forward which doesn't work the BEC hard. But if you get someone who turns then moves they'll run it hotter. Like the guys said, run it and see what happens. If it amps out use a seperate BEC.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #797
Rock Crawler

Install Question....

Can I mount the FXR vertically, upside down, or anywhere in between with no ill effects. Just recieved mine yesterday, lovin the size

thanks for the help
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #798
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Racing View Post
Install Question....

Can I mount the FXR vertically, upside down, or anywhere in between with no ill effects. Just recieved mine yesterday, lovin the size

thanks for the help
You bet!!!

I frequently run mine upside down high up on my body mounting posts to avoid water should a course we run have any. Just find a solid spot that's free from metal or carbon fiber to prevent a short and your good to go.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #799
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
You bet!!!

I frequently run mine upside down high up on my body mounting posts to avoid water should a course we run have any. Just find a solid spot that's free from metal or carbon fiber to prevent a short and your good to go.

Thanks for confirming Kaetwo......and your answer is giving me another question. Should i not mount on a fabbed up piece of Aluminum with some servo tape?, better to use a piece of lexan or whatnot.

thanks
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #800
I wanna be Dave

No, you should be okay with mounting it on a piece of aluminum. You just want to make sure that your posts are clear of any metal. Something that I like to do is wrap the post end with some electrical tape, just so there protect from a short.