Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #821
Yashua

Default Re: Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

Thanks Charlie and Ohio, I just bought a pair of Pro's in the classifieds and was wondering, I knew they were pretty close in specs from the FXR's I had in my super since they all come with the same setup sheet.
I guess the real way to see the differance is to hook up the hotwire and see the adjustments, from the specs they are the same except for the motor spec.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #822
Rock Crawler

Sorry to bump this, but can I use a Tekin FXR and 35T combo straight out of the box or do I need the hotlink to make any adjustments? Being I have a Mac it makes it a pain lol.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #823
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBlackbird View Post
Sorry to bump this, but can I use a Tekin FXR and 35T combo straight out of the box or do I need the hotlink to make any adjustments? Being I have a Mac it makes it a pain lol.
Run it as it is & be happy.

I'm running dual FX-R's & dual 35T brushed on 3S LiPO with no programming (other than throttle curves.....that is not part of the combo set-up).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #824
MODERHATER™

Silly question, I am thinking on putting 2 FXR's in my super (usually run MM or Micro Sidewinders)

One of my FXR's has a cap on it and the other does not. Do I need 2?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #825
Yashua

I would say if they are the stock caps you would need one on each one, if you are using a larger cap you may not. I asked this question of Tekin and they said with dual setups each FXR needs a cap, but they sell a few larger caps for there ESC's and depending on size lipo you run will determine which size and one or two should be run.
Here is a link to the caps they offer for up to 6s capibility;
Tekin - Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Silly question, I am thinking on putting 2 FXR's in my super (usually run MM or Micro Sidewinders)

One of my FXR's has a cap on it and the other does not. Do I need 2?
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #826
I wanna be Dave

Well I thought that it would be helpful to those looking to get into the sport of RC (i.e. Crawling, Racing, Sport, etc...) to read a follow-up review of the FX-R that I did back in Feb. of 08'.

Let me start by giving my standard spill. I'm not paid by Tekin nor am I sponsored by them. I simply feel that when you come across a product that works so well, that you owe it too that company to spread the word.

Onto the follow-up;

Back in 2008, I was on the hunt for an ESC that was small, packed full of features, and had a decent drag brake. While most where messing around with brushless setups, I was hell bent on finding a brushed ESC that would meet every level of expectation listed on page 1 of this thread. Tekin hit and exceeded EVERY mark and I am happy to say that too this day, I still use Tekin products and have countless FX-R's in everything from my crawlers to my boats.

So the big question is, do I still have that same FX-R that I wrote my original review on? The answer...YES!!! I tried to figure out how many rigs it's been in and some fun stats but couldn't pin any accurate numbers, so these are best guesses;

- How many crawlers has this ESC been in?

40+

- Has it ever been repaired?

Yes, I shorted the ESC by connecting the capacitor to the motor side and needed to have Tekin repair it

- Has it ever been wet?

Yes, I used it to take 3rd place in the Montana Scale Nats TTC and my balloon tore trying to fix my winch and when I finished up the event, I cleaned the rig to sell to Baller and noticed that my balloon was full of water. I have also ran the ESC in countless rigs that have gone swimming.

- Have you ever used the ESC in another vehicle other than a crawler?

Yes, it's currently in my Tamiya Rally Car. It's also been in my Tamiya Grasshopper, Hornet, Fast Attack, Hotshot, Bruiser, Mountaineer, Frog, Associated SC10, Traxxas Slash and a whole lot more.

- How many batteries have you ran through it?

I can't say with any kind of accuracy, but if I had to guess I would say 200+

I wish that I would have kept some historical statistics on this ESC to show potential customers just how amazing this little ESC is. I can say with 100% conviction, that this in my opinion is the finest brushed ESC on the market PERIOD!!! I stand behind my original review and can't thank Tekin enough for the great products that they produce and the amazing customer service that they provide. It's rare to find a company willing to stand 100% behind their products.

Thanks for reading and supporting Tekin

Last edited by kaetwo; 12-12-2012 at 05:24 PM.
kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #827
Rock Stacker

I run fxr's on my 2 scale rigs, got both fxr's used but are running great so far. Im just curious if anyone uses the throttle curve adjustment feature. Is it any use for crawling applications?

Thanks.
mix237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #828
I wanna be Dave

I personally don't use it for crawling, but use the heck out of it 1/12th scale and short course racing when the traction is low. It takes off the edge to my hair trigger finger or can add a bit of punch for when the traction is high.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #829
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix237 View Post
I run fxr's on my 2 scale rigs, got both fxr's used but are running great so far. Im just curious if anyone uses the throttle curve adjustment feature. Is it any use for crawling applications?

Thanks.
I have used the "canned" curves in the FX-R, but prefer the adjustability of a Castle ESC.

Others use "expo" in their TX (if their TX has it).

The FX-R is a great little ESC, but using the FX-R vs. various Castle ESC's (original Mamba Max, Mamba Micro Pro, Sidewinder Micro) I prefer the CC ESC's, but still run a pair of FX-R's in my 2.2 Bully.

I would have no issues recommending a FX-R.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 01-17-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #830
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I think I'll just leave the throttle curves alone for crawling then. One more question regarding EPA's on the TX though, I've always set my forward throttle EPA on 100% when using my FXR and have been very satisfied with it, but the other day I played around with it and brought it down to around 70%. The throttle seemed smoother. Is this okay to do or might this mess up the FXR?

Thanks again.
mix237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #831
Rock Stacker

Hey guys, I'm running the 35T combo with a dx6i and seem to be having some dramas. Forward to reverse is fine, it's when i want to go forward again i have some trouble. It is like it have to find neutral again on the esc. I have to wait maybe 3 seconds before I can drive again. I have done all but reverse the polarity at the motor.
Any ideas?
nitro_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #832
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_star View Post
Hey guys, I'm running the 35T combo with a dx6i and seem to be having some dramas. Forward to reverse is fine, it's when i want to go forward again i have some trouble. It is like it have to find neutral again on the esc. I have to wait maybe 3 seconds before I can drive again. I have done all but reverse the polarity at the motor.
Any ideas?
Has it always done that?? If so, sounds like:

TX (or ESC) is reversed
Motor is reversed
ESC is not set to "instant reverse", it's set to "double tap reverse" which helps prevent motor/drivetrain damage but poor for a crawler.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #833
Rock Stacker

Thanks Charlie, Tx isn't reversed, has always done it. There are only 2 things i can put it done too. 1: As im running throttle on the elev channel it dosen't ike it and 2: motor polairty is reversed. I either have to put up with it till my new ground Tx comes in or get it sorted. I'm running out of options.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #834
Rock Crawler

I've used the fxr on
My ele with no issues. Have you calibrated the esc?
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #835
Rock Stacker

yea done that, im generally pretty cluey when it comes to trouble shooting. i'm at a loss this time.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #836

I don't know if this is of any help but I thought I might as well share since you are out of ideas. My truck with a Tekin FX-R Pro and a Pro hand wound 35t would always not start going again after I let off the throttle. I had to tap the truck to get it going again. I replaced the brushes and I was good as gold again.
DBARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #837
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like you're in delayed forward reverse. This would cause you to wait in neutral for 1 full second to get reverse back.
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #838
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Has it always done that?? If so, sounds like:

TX (or ESC) is reversed
Motor is reversed
ESC is not set to "instant reverse", it's set to "double tap reverse" which helps prevent motor/drivetrain damage but poor for a crawler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_star View Post
Thanks Charlie, Tx isn't reversed, has always done it. There are only 2 things i can put it done too. 1: As I'm running throttle on the elev channel it dosen't ike it and 2: motor polairty is reversed. I either have to put up with it till my new ground Tx comes in or get it sorted. I'm running out of options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
Sounds like you're in delayed forward reverse. This would cause you to wait in neutral for 1 full second to get reverse back.
Here is the manual.... http://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/FXManual.pdf I stated "double tap reverse", but yes, it's a "delayed reverse. Check LED 3 while in "pit tune mode".
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #839
RCC Addict

Also check that the LEDS ramp from left to right when on the throttle. If not, it's reversed and this would be why it doesn't go directly back into FWD from REV. The ESC thinks it's driving in forward when the truck is running reverse.

Just another thing to verify.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #840
Rock Stacker

Hi all.
Looking at getting a fxr 35t combo.Is it any advantage getting the fxr pro or is the just the fxr ok.Also with the motor is the pro 35t motor much better than the 35t hd motor.Just wondering with you guys were using.Is the pro version just have a lower motor limit or extra settings and does the 35t pro motor being hand wound make any difference.
Thanks Paul.
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote