Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #101
Like a boss...

Zken - I sent you a PM with some more thoughts on the software compared to the CC stuff.

Thanks for supporting the forum and answering all our questions.

-Mike
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
Nobody said I couldn't solder to the posts. I just said I don't prefer them. I'll use your example and say this is a he-said/she-said complaint. Kaetwo and yourself may prefer them. I personally don't.

BTW - thanks for insinuation and assumption we offer no "SERVICE". I didn't realize you knew my business and customer base so well.

Sheesh...it's not like I slammed the product. I'm using the dang ESC for personal use, when I could use and take home anything I want. I think that actually says alot.

These are all just things I discovered and took notice of that weren't mentioned along the way here. Next time I'll just keep the feedback to myself....

-Mike
Water off a ducks back. You brought up some really good points from a beginners point of view (I'm not saying that your a beginner, just that you looked at it from that point of view). Soldering a wire and a diode is a bitty, especially if your not very experienced with soldering.

I too agree with the Futaba plug. It bugs me bad enough that I just cut the wire to length and put a different plug on it

It's feedback like this that can help Tekin improve on an already great product.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #103
Like a boss...

Thanks Kaetwo.

As a retailer not just only as an enthusiast, I do look at everything with a newbies eyes, only because that's the majority of the people we help on a daily basis. We want to see people be successful, have fun and enjoy the hobby. So I definitely look at this and go - if I sold this to customer x ...how's his experience going to be buying this and how will I have to support him compared to something else.

I'm sure my OP came across as nit-picks and shouldn't have. I just wanted to share some additional things I experienced and thought. Hope it helps someone out there.

-Mike
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

The 801 crew held a massive comp this weekend and I had another opportunity to use the FX-R in action. This time however I was using a Castle Creations BEC from Holmes Hobbies.....WOW!!!!

I like many of you run a dig setup and a digital servo. This can really tax the ESC's BEC system, however with the CC BEC it ran great!

The FX-R and the CC BEC set at 5.1 amps is without a doubt one of the finest combo's available, I could not be happier with this setup.

I should also have a review up shortly of the Tekin Hotwire system shortly

Old 04-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #105
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I used two of the FX-r's at a comp this weekend with the CC BEC set at 6v, and it ran very well. I really liked the smoothness of the ESC and setting it up with the Hotwire was really simple.

I will be running these in all of my brushed rigs that need an ESC.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

I've been running the FX-R in my Scorpion for a while now. Novak 55 lathe motor, 3-cell Lipo, and it's great. Love everything about it.... All our FX-r's here at tammies say 2-3c Lipo on the box, and the other guys running them in the club are all running them at 3c. NO problems.

Awesome ESC!

Last edited by rbgerrish; 04-15-2008 at 07:47 PM.
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #107
I joined the Band!

tekin's web site still states 2cell lipo for both esc's
http://www.teamtekin.com/fx.html

i dont know about spending that kind of green ( over 200.00 w/computer link and ccbec) and taking the word off this forum that they will cover a problem if i use a 3c lipo..

maybe they need to update their site
or state it on the box...
my LHS just gor one in (PRO) oad the box says 2c lipo

just my 2 cents
nuts5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #108
Pebble Pounder

We are updating the web, packages and manuals to reflect a new spec.

"May be used with 3s lipo when using 35turn or higher motors for rock crawling."

We will back you and all the crawler users.

2 of our team crawler drivers should be testing the FxR with beefed BEC this week. We will see how it works.

Jim Campbell
President
Tekin, Inc.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-07-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #109
Pebble Pounder

I have been using the FXR with a 3s lipo, 55t motor, 5995tg servo and a 225mg servo for the dig. I did have some issues with the ESC amping out (throttle) and glitching on long steep climbs when really working the rig hard.I installed a CC bec set at 7v in the batt port on the reciever ,Red wire removed from ESC.Big improvement on both steering and dig servo consistancy
Kaetwo the glitching we talked about on the other FXR turned out to be the on-off switch was faulty..of course i found it after replacing motor,crystal,tryed diff. radio,relocated antenna,moved all wires
speed goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #110
Pebble Pounder

2 of our team crawler drivers should be testing the FxR with beefed BEC this week. We will see how it works.

It should not increase the price of the FxR very much. It does require that we put it in a FxRpro case so we have the extra room. We will also make some software changes specific to what the crawler need like better resolution on the drag brake adjustments and low throttle... and a new cool sticker that says Crawler on it

Do we need to also consider making an RTR version with wires soldered on to the pcb no solder posts and cap preinstalled?

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-10-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtekin View Post
We are updating the web, packages and manuals to reflect a new spec.

"May be used with 3s lipo when using 35turn or higher motors for rock crawling."

We will back you and all the crawler users.

Jim Campbell
President
Tekin, Inc.
That's great to hear! We all know that the ESC will handle the crawler motors on 3C's but it will be good and ease a lot of minds by having it part of the documentation and packaging.

Peace of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed goat View Post
I have been using the FXR with a 3s lipo, 55t motor, 5995tg servo and a 225mg servo for the dig. I did have some issues with the ESC amping out (throttle) and glitching on long steep climbs when really working the rig hard.I installed a CC bec set at 7v in the batt port on the reciever ,Red wire removed from ESC.Big improvement on both steering and dig servo consistancy
Kaetwo the glitching we talked about on the other FXR turned out to be the on-off switch was faulty..of course i found it after replacing motor,crystal,tryed diff. radio,relocated antenna,moved all wires
A bad switch? Makes sense but that's kind of odd at the same time.

Quote:

It should not increase the price of the FxR and it will still sell for around $100. It does require that we put it in a FxRpro case so we have the extra room. We will also make some software changes specific to what the crawler need like better resolution on the drag brake adjustments and low throttle... and a new cool sticker that says Crawler on it

Do we need to also consider making an RTR version with wires soldered on to the pcb no solder posts and cap preinstalled?

Tekin Prez
It may not be a bad thing to make a pre-assembled version. I know that there are a lot of guys that really like just being able to install the ESC and go. And there are those individuals that may not have the soldering skills or equipment to properly install the wires and such.

I don't know if the client base is large enough but it may be worth looking into.

More testing this weekend

Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #112
Pebble Pounder

Bad solder joints is one of the biggest problems we see in service, especially in sensorless brushless systems so an rtr with wires is not a bad idea from our view. People try to solder with the unit installed and the posts vertical instead of placing the post horizontal and getting a really good flow to the pins and wires. Easy to get cold joints on top of the pin in the vertical position or let extra solder slide done the pin and build up.

The switch is not that surprising. It is a very good self wiping switch, probably one of the best in the market, but still a physical contact. We have seen very few bad ones. The BEC would drop immediately and glitch the receiver because it is a linear regulator, but the micro would stay alive because it has some capacitance to back it up.

Looking forward to your testing results on the Beefed BEC FxR and seeing you in Helena, MT!

Tekin Prez
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

After watching how well the fx-r was working in rbgerrish's scorp I switched back to brushed. Its super small foot print and solder posts sell me and 3s cutoff is all gravy A beefy BEC would be a nice touch(or no bec for less $$)
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #114
RCC Addict

I just bought another one. TCS had them for a pretty good price.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

I just built a new VF Slingshot & installed a new FXR w/a CC bec - WOW is all I have to say - the brakes on this thing stop on a dime and hold very well - I do miss the throttle curve adjustment from my old MM a little - I just need to adjust my trigger finger - I wouldn't go back for anything.

Thanks Tekin
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

We are adding the basic 6 throttle profiles that are in the Fx to the FxR in the hotwire soon. We will be adding the custom throttle profiles where you get to make a curve as well in the future.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Nice!! Only thing lacking IMO
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We are adding the basic 6 throttle profiles that are in the Fx to the FxR in the hotwire soon. We will be adding the custom throttle profiles where you get to make a curve as well in the future.
I'm very excited about this and can't wait to test out the modified ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwheeler View Post
Nice!! Only thing lacking IMO
Well they could make it smaller

Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #119
MODERATOR™

Yeah if they could only pack all that into the B1R case.

Please!

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #120
Rock Stacker

I just finished reading through this thread and I am unclear if the FXR-Pro can handle the 7T Cobalt from Holmes Hobbies? With 2s or 3s lipo? Any thoughts Tekin or JRH?
MrBadExample is offline   Reply With Quote