Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: JR Racing XS3 Pro opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question JR Racing XS3 Pro opinions?

I'm looking at upgrading my POS radio and I'm intrested in the JR Racing XS3 Pro. Who has this and what have been your expierences?
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've got the regular XS3 and about the only difference between mine and the pro, that I can tell, is the pro is silver, comes with a metal geared servo and has 10 model memory, mine has 6. Aside from that its an ok radio, lots of nice features like epa and throttle deadband adjustment for nitro. Its easy to configure and the third channel is mixable. On my super, I mix the third channel with the steering and it works pretty good that way but you CAN NOT set it up in two position mode to go left or right at the push of the button because it would stay left or right and not re-center. On my 1/5th electric bike, I mix the third channel to my brakes, to control front and rear disks and not use the esc brake. The third channel can also be used to shift a tranny like the t-maxx, its a two position channel and proportional. In the Hilift, I can use the third channel in proportional mode to hit all three gears but its dead slow so I usually set it up to hit first and third in the two position mode. An extra JR Rx will run you about $60 and I've heard that the Novak Exxtra Rx will work too, but never tried it myself.

If I were to do it over, and I'm thinking about it really hard, I would probably go with the Multiplex radio listed here:
My new TX review
This seems like a really cool radio system, its 7 channels, and cheap.

Hope that helps,
Tom
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. Very informative.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use one for my LST2, and XX buggy. I 2nd everything metomwhou said, but will also mention that it's the Novak XXTra, and the XXL will work too, if you get the right shift and use the appropriate crystal, but it only has 2 channels. Any Airtronics FM receiver, including the synthesized version will work as well.
Extra rx's can be had for cheap off eBay. I just picked up a Switch/XXtra set for $45 and could probably re-sell the Switch module to make some back.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A follow up question. How does the third channel work? Specifically I'm looking at adding the new VF AX-10 trans mounted dig which appears to require three positions on the servo (left, center and right).
Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

metomwhou covered it in his post. It's either proportional, or 2 position, depending on which button it's assigned to. 3 position is not possible. Proportional would work, but it takes time to make the throw from one end to the other, and you'd have to know where center is.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Proportional would work, but it takes time to make the throw from one end to the other, and you'd have to know where center is.
So how does the "Proportional" setting work? Timing on the dig doesn't really matter since you wouldn't necessarily be shifting on the fly.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have the JR xs3 pro. Worked great in my savage, works great in my micro rs4 (Futaba mc230cr esc) and its glitchy when used with the Novak Rooster CE. You can control the glitching if you adjust the TDB settings to about 5% on throttle and brake. My Futaba 3pm is pretty much glitch free however.. lol.

Yeah the 3rd channel is 2 position. Basically its meant for shifting reverse in or out on a nitro.

Right now im "fence post sitting" about upgrading to the DX3r ...
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Keep it real

If you do buy it, get some good rechargeable batts, it is power hungry.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
So how does the "Proportional" setting work? Timing on the dig doesn't really matter since you wouldn't necessarily be shifting on the fly.
The switch itself is a 3 position momentary. Center off. In linear mode, moving it in whichever direction makes the servo go that direction, let go, it stops right there, no moving back to center.
Or, change it to 2 position mode and it becomes a simple, click up, it goes all the way one direction, click down, it goes all the way the other. That's how it's set up from the factory in the LST2 for shifting into reverse and back.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
If you do buy it, get some good rechargeable batts, it is power hungry.
the dx3r? Well I bought about 16 2500mah energizers to use with my JR xs3 pro, so having to use only 4 batts would be a lot easier.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote