Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rooster Crawler Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Default Rooster Crawler Help

Hi all maybe you can help me with this.

I have a problem with my rooster crawler ESC.

When I move the truck forwards and let off the throttle, the it stops the motor immediately and jerks the truck forwards. The problem with this is when I'm going downhill and this happens, it sends the truck in a forwards flip.

However when I move the truck in reverse, it does not do this. It just kinda rolls to a stop.

Is there any way I can fix this? I've tried redoing the 1 touch setup and looking at the throttle profiles, but only 1 profile fits what I want to do because there's only 2 for nicd/nimh batteries, forward, brakes, reverse. or forward and brakes only....

Thanks
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

How do you have the drag brake set?
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #3

I don't know what the is. the only things the manual tells you how to do is the 1 touch setup and the throttle profiles...I didn't see anything about drag brake
Old 04-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The truck jerking forward could just be it glitching and might be fixed from re-routing your antenna and wires. But it should not just "roll to a stop" from reverse. At least mine doesnt.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #5

I don't think it's radio glitching as it happens every single time. I know what radio glitching is like so I'm pretty sure it's not that.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
I don't think it's radio glitching as it happens every single time. I know what radio glitching is like so I'm pretty sure it's not that.
Where is your antenna located? The drag brake should work equally forward or reverse.
How about the trim adjustment for your radio? Sounds like it is set to the reverse side so hence the slow roll to stop in reverse and sudden jolt when going forward and then stopping
The Rooster crawler does not have an adjustable Drag brake, it is a fixed setting drag brake.
Frank
ford mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

How fast are you going compared to reverse??

The drag brake is on no matter what, and in the Rooster Crawler, is not adjustable.

It can be seen as abrupt I suppose, but this is to prevent the truck from rolling on inclines. So you can "hold" position when needed.

The speed you release the trigger has a lot to do with this as well.

You can always email us directly. Tech@teamnovak.com
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #8

The antenna is in the antenna holder on the top of the chassis. I have a AX-10 scorpion. The receiver and the ESC are mounted on top of the platform.

The weird thing is, when I do the one touch setup with the throttle trim set to normal (ie. not reversed) forward ends up being reverse, and reverse ends up being forward, so I have to switch on my TX to reverse trim. If I do the one touch setup again with reverse trim on, the same thing happens, reverse is forwards and forwards is reverse, so I set it back to normal and it fixes it. That doesn't sound right to me....

I don't think you understand what I mean by "jerks forward" though. I mean, when I let go of the throttle when I'm going forwards, the esc stops the motor immediately, but the shift of weight makes it jerk, you get what I mean? Picture slamming on the brakes on a bicyle and doing an end-o.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #9

does anyone else have any guess? How do I make it work properly with the brakes?

I know that it's supposed to hold it's position when it's on a hill and what-not, and it does. It's just that when I'm going down a hill and I letoff the throttle completely, even very slowly, it will stop the motor immediately shifting the weight of the truck forward, usuall making it fall down the hill.

Maybe I'll try reversing how the wires are soldered onto the motor so that reverse is actually forwards then maybe it will roll forward a bit like it does if I let off on the throttle when it's going backwards, currently....
Old 04-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I may be missing something here, but I think you'll find that what is supposed to do. Thats the function of the drag brake. If your not touching the throttle is on. If your driving forward and return the throttle to neutral it's on, if your driving in reverse and return the throttle to neutral it's on. I don't know what your running for batteries and where they are located, but if they are up high on the chassis and you let off the throttle going down a hill, you will flip. I'm running 6 sub-c's that are placed around the steering servo (upsidedown u shape) that makes my nose really heavy and i had the same problem. Move your batteries as low as possible and add some weight to the rear end it will help.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:21 AM   #11

I dunno, its weird.

If I drive in reverse and let go of throttle it doesn't do the same thing. It sorta rolls for a bit, then stops. I do have the batteries in the shape you mentioned, upside down U with 4 along the top and 1 cell going down because I didn't have any extra battery wire at the time of pack configuration, but I might go to the hobby shop and get some battery cable and redo the cells in a 3x3 upright. configuration on either side of the servo, that's how most of the guys in the club here have them.

I've got the cells plus 2 revolutions of the stock 2.2 rims with lead fishing weight. Not sure on exact weight but I think probably4 ounces in each wheel. 1 revolution of the lead weight in each rear wheel. I also put the soft axial springs up front. It definitely crawls A LOT better than having the stock 6 cell stick pack strapped to the rear axle and adding the weight. I couldn't believe it.

After I changed the weight configuration I went back to the spot I was with the club last weekend and redid the comp runs (it wasn't actually a comp, we were just playin by comp rules etc.) and I made a lot of the gates that were just impossible previously. I was amazed at what this thing can do!

Well, thanks for the tips, I will confer with my club colleagues as well to see what they think.

Last edited by naossoan; 04-12-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just got my rooster a week ago, and I've only seen it work like 5 times on really really steep decents, when is it supposed to work? always? usually when i let off the throttle on a decent, my rig just stops right there.
RcFanatic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

That is how it's supposed to work.

The reason it's not the same forward to reverse is simple. You're reversing the radio AFTER you do the one touch setup.

This changes the neutral point slightly so the brakes are much harder in one direction and not at all in the other.

Re do the one touch setup, THEN, reverse the motor. Should work the same in both directions.

And yes, the brakes are VERY hard at neutral. They are supposed to be.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote