Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKilla View Post
its common practice to just disconnect the battery when the RC is not in use..... i dont see a problem.

if you really want to get sophisticated with your setup, you can just get a micro switch with two positive poles and two negative poles. connect the bec and esc to this switch.

problem solved
Wouldn't it simply be possible to put a on/off switch somewhere on the + wire running from the battery to the esc/rx, placing the switch before the bec? Now the same switch would turn on both the bec and the esc/rx at the same time? The escs own switch would be left in the 'on' position.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

im trying determine if i fried my ccbec......when i plug it into the battery the led should come on right? i want to power my steering servo only so i only use the signal wire goin to the servo and the power wires from the bec to power it right? lol this thread is semi confusing....and im using the bec from my fxr to powter the rx and dig servo so i disregard the removal of the red wire goin to the rx am i correct.....now when i plug up my ccbec the led dont come on unless i plug the output wires coming from the bec into the rx so im guessing the power is coming from the rx side only and runnin off the esc....now that bein said that would mean in the input from the batt side isnt working .....any input would help ....im about to order another bec in just a moment but i would like some reinforcement that im right
m3kan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

nobody has any advice? im kinda gettin a lil frustrated with the electronics glitching so any advice at all would help
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kan1k View Post
nobody has any advice? im kinda gettin a lil frustrated with the electronics glitching so any advice at all would help
Can you post a picture of your setup? Your explanation is confusing.

But, if the BEC is propoerly hooked up to the red and black battery wires on the ESC, the green light on the BEC shoulf come on when you plug in the battery. If it doesn't, it is fried and you need a new one. Based on what your are trying to do, follow this digram. I do not recommend this method if you are using a dig servo. Use Castle Creations method for powering both servos.

dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Ok, I am so stupid with this apparently. So here is what I did. I drew up a diagram that shows what I have. I did the basic wiring for the power and whatnot. I need some handholding here. Is this what I am after? I really feel stupid so forgive me. I could rebuild my Jeep's engine in a weekend but I can't seem to grasp this?!?!

Edit: I ran the wires the way I think they should be?
I'm getting ready to install BEC's for the first time and this is how I've always seen them wired up. I think I have a handle on this, but I'll ask for a second opinion, or more...

I'm running a Tekin FX-R with a 7955TG, a 45T and a Spektrum SR3500 micro Rx on 2S and 3S Lipo without dig in my 2.2

My Super has a CE Rooster, 5955TG's, V11 55's, a Spektrum SR3500 micro Rx and 2S Lipo.

If I utilize this set up in both these rigs, am I in for a BBQ and some magic white smoke or a good day of crawling?
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
I'm getting ready to install BEC's for the first time and this is how I've always seen them wired up. I think I have a handle on this, but I'll ask for a second opinion, or more...

I'm running a Tekin FX-R with a 7955TG, a 45T and a Spektrum SR3500 micro Rx on 2S and 3S Lipo without dig in my 2.2

My Super has a CE Rooster, 5955TG's, V11 55's, a Spektrum SR3500 micro Rx and 2S Lipo.

If I utilize this set up in both these rigs, am I in for a BBQ and some magic white smoke or a good day of crawling?
This is per CC's instructions and is how I run all my rigs now. Including a Berg with FXR and dig servo. This has been very reliable for me.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

if i power both my servos through the rx per castles instructions it makes my spektrum rx shut down due to voltage spikes. would you reccommend installing a power cap onto the rx to solve that problem? thats the reason i just wanted to run the steering servo with the bec.....i never had a problem runnin the dig from the rx before.....also if i split the output wires coming from the bec and run them to the servos would it take away the power from one another?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post

I have since done two other vehicles that exact way with no issue what so ever! Works great and that was after searching for the right answers months ago. Many had confirmed it the right way for a dig setup.

Jon
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Can you post a picture of your setup? Your explanation is confusing.

But, if the BEC is propoerly hooked up to the red and black battery wires on the ESC, the green light on the BEC shoulf come on when you plug in the battery. If it doesn't, it is fried and you need a new one. Based on what your are trying to do, follow this digram. I do not recommend this method if you are using a dig servo. Use Castle Creations method for powering both servos.

This IMO is the best way to wire the system!! Creating TWO power sources; one for the RX/ESC/dig servo (not much apm draw) and one for the High torque servo. Thus you will not shut down when you overload the steering servo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kan1k View Post
if i power both my servos through the rx per castles instructions it makes my spektrum rx shut down due to voltage spikes. would you reccommend installing a power cap onto the rx to solve that problem? thats the reason i just wanted to run the steering servo with the bec.....i never had a problem runnin the dig from the rx before.....also if i split the output wires coming from the bec and run them to the servos would it take away the power from one another?
This is why, IMO, the two power sources work best. I have "NEVER" had a problem on any rig doing this. Axial, berg ,scaler it don't matter. TRY it please!!! It works!!!

Simply use a "Y" harness plud the BEC and Servo into it take the male and only plug signal to RX. Leave all else (wires) alone ,ie. ESC all three wires into RX.

Last edited by cato; 02-17-2009 at 09:35 AM.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
This IMO is the best way to wire the system!! Creating TWO power sources; one for the RX/ESC/dig servo (not much apm draw) and one for the High torque servo. Thus you will not shut down when you overload the steering servo.

This is why, IMO, the two power sources work best. I have "NEVER" had a problem on any rig doing this. Axial, berg ,scaler it don't matter. TRY it please!!! It works!!!
I thought so too. Before my system completey shut down under high voltage draws while digging. It cost me 40 pts in a comp. But it seams that different electronic combos cause different results. So it's hard to generalize the best setup.

I have found CC's instructions to work best with;
Mamba Max ESC or Tekin FXR (Berg),
SR3100 spectrum RX,
Hitec 7955TG steering servo,
5645 dig servo or Hitec micro (Berg)
11.1v 3S lipo with 13c contin. burst or a 35c burst batt (Berg).
Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
I thought so too. Before my system completey shut down under high voltage draws while digging. It cost me 40 pts in a comp. But it seams that different electronic combos cause different results. So it's hard to generalize the best setup.

I have found CC's instructions to work best with;
Mamba Max ESC or Tekin FXR (Berg),
SR3100 spectrum RX,
Hitec 7955TG steering servo,
5645 dig servo or Hitec micro (Berg)
11.1v 3S lipo with 13c contin. burst or a 35c burst batt (Berg).
Holy cow dude...that makes no sence to me, if your running a BERG the dig sevo AMP draw should be like, nothing!! Theres gotta be other issues going on there:? I'm running vere simillar specs, never even a glitch!!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Jesus, I am so friggin lost now. LOL..

I followed the CC instructions on back. removed the esc power wire and my 2nd servo doesn't to jack. It is set up on 3p on my DX3R. Are we supposed to just hardwire the BEC to the servo(s) now?

Sorry for being a moron. I am just so in over my head it sucks ass.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #73

none of the pics i have seen involve a dig servo? what would be involved in that?
nismotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismotech View Post
none of the pics i have seen involve a dig servo? what would be involved in that?
Page 2, numbers 26 and 33
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

I think it has more to do with the spektrum receivers, i have tried both setups on my spektrum receivers and my hitech and acoms fm receivers, never had any problems with my fm receivers but i had the spektrum receiver shut down a couple of times :?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

So has anyone tried installing one of the Spektrum vlotage caps?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM1600
Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

$6 for a cap? i haven't tried it yet but it seems it should work, it would keep the operating voltage under spikes from the load of the servos and motor, anyone has the caps specs?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
$6 for a cap? i haven't tried it yet but it seems it should work, it would keep the operating voltage under spikes from the load of the servos and motor, anyone has the caps specs?
Did a quick search...4700uf

Also if you look at the picture you can read it: 4700uf 10v
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

could this diagram work using a Novak universal BEC? I'm fustrated right now because I tried to use the wiring diagram in the crawler edition of RC Driver and it doesn't work. I have a JR 9100 steering sevo and a JR mini225 for the dig. I have a HH brushed torquemaster, a Tekin FX-r ESC and a Spektrum Rx. I'm using a 3s LiPo for juice.

The Novak directions completely contradict the wiring diagram on the RC Crawler edition, and the diagram on here that I included is also different.

The Novak BEC doesn't have a signal wire on the output, just a black and red wire that had a plug that was removed from trying to wire it the way the magazine article showed.

Thanks for any help. I've tried to help myself by searching, but I'm in over my head a bit so I'll swallow my pride and do the smart thing- ask for help!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
Jesus, I am so friggin lost now. LOL..

I followed the CC instructions on back. removed the esc power wire and my 2nd servo doesn't to jack. It is set up on 3p on my DX3R. Are we supposed to just hardwire the BEC to the servo(s) now?

Sorry for being a moron. I am just so in over my head it sucks ass.
all i did was unplug the red wire from the ESC plug and everything works fine....i had to set my frame rate to 11 on my DX3R to get my dig servo to work...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote