Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
all i did was unplug the red wire from the ESC plug and everything works fine....i had to set my frame rate to 11 on my DX3R to get my dig servo to work...............bob

Yeah, figured out my issue too. WRong Frame Rate. I guess my two MG995 digital servos are too much at 5, so I had to go to 11. No big I suppose.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

I guess I'll add my input to this. I've had my bec wired the "castle way" , first on my shafty using 2 hitorque servos 5955 for steering & an airtronics for dig. Now I'm running moa, 5955 steering & a hitec digital micro for dig. Radio is a dx3.0 & receiver. I've never had any problems at all but was thinking of changing to jrh's way because it looked better, steering servo getting direct hipower & receiver & dig getting low voltage. I've read thru this thread & now I'm undecided since it sounds like some people have had problems. I'll probably get opinions for both ways again but what do you guys think?
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

It ain't broke, why fix it? If it is working, I wouldn't touch it.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Haha that's what I was thinking too. Been running it for a long time & no problems yet
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

I can see the reasons behind wiring the servos directly to the BEC. I want to do it the castle way because for me there is a lesser chance of failure due to less wiring. The question I have; is the internal bus inside most receivers hurting voltage and amperage transfer to the servos? It seems that if you plug into the receiver, and then plug all else in, that power would be available at the bus in the receiver connector. I am running brushless MOA, 2 645mg's, 2 mamba max and 1 battery. So in theory I should plug all into the receiver, pull the red + from each ESC, pull the yellow from the BEC and all should work just as well as if I wired it the hard way. The only "what if" I know of is that some receivers' have internal voltage regulators to drop battery "in" voltage down to the rest of the bus. In that case you would plug the output of the BEC into another channel rather than the Batt slot. On my MGT I plug the stock 4 cell AA into the fourth channel rather than the batt channel to give the steering servo a full 6V rather than the step down that happens internal to the receiver. Some out there might think that they wired it the wrong way because they plugged their BEC into the batt slot, and the receiver stepped it down.

STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ7780 View Post
I can see the reasons behind wiring the servos directly to the BEC. I want to do it the castle way because for me there is a lesser chance of failure due to less wiring. The question I have; is the internal bus inside most receivers hurting voltage and amperage transfer to the servos? It seems that if you plug into the receiver, and then plug all else in, that power would be available at the bus in the receiver connector. I am running brushless MOA, 2 645mg's, 2 mamba max and 1 battery. So in theory I should plug all into the receiver, pull the red + from each ESC, pull the yellow from the BEC and all should work just as well as if I wired it the hard way. The only "what if" I know of is that some receivers' have internal voltage regulators to drop battery "in" voltage down to the rest of the bus. In that case you would plug the output of the BEC into another channel rather than the Batt slot. On my MGT I plug the stock 4 cell AA into the fourth channel rather than the batt channel to give the steering servo a full 6V rather than the step down that happens internal to the receiver. Some out there might think that they wired it the wrong way because they plugged their BEC into the batt slot, and the receiver stepped it down.
I have never heard of a reciever stepping down the voltage. That would make it pretty hot sinc it would have to bleed off that power somewhere. I have tried the CC BEC in a few different configurations and they all work. Even on my Summit controlling 5 servos it hasent had a problem. I ran out of plugs on my nomadio reciever so i cut both steering servos and the bec and wired them all into one plug and still no issues. It powers 5 servos and all the lights.

(The OG revolver has been taken out and its now waiting on a HH 7t puller but the schematic is the same)

Last edited by Culetto; 03-06-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
I have never heard of a reciever stepping down the voltage. That would make it pretty hot sinc it would have to bleed off that power somewhere. I have tried the CC BEC in a few different configurations and they all work. Even on my Summit controlling 5 servos it hasent had a problem. I ran out of plugs on my nomadio reciever so i cut both steering servos and the bec and wired them all into one plug and still no issues. It powers 5 servos and all the lights.
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to wire mine the CC way for now before I get into some serious wiring. I believe the receivers that step down the voltage have simple internal voltage regulators, not necessarily a BEC. They are the non switching type so they are very compact but cannot handle much amperage. This might explain internal BEC a little more. http://www.myrcbox.com/mgt_4th_channel_mod.htm
STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

So what's the right diagram to follow for a dig set up using the CC BEC ????

There is about 4 different diagrams posted .....which one ????
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORK VADER View Post
So what's the right diagram to follow for a dig set up using the CC BEC ????

There is about 4 different diagrams posted .....which one ????
i went with the CC diagram of pulling the red wire from the ESC plug and made sure i set the frame rate to 11 and things are just dandy.....................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #90

I wired my BEC to the battery posts on the B1R and the pos and neg leads of the 2 645mg servos kind of like some of these diagrams are showing. The problem I had was the servos would go crazy if there was a load on it. Is it in the wiring or somewhere else?
Joush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Okay guys I had a question on this- not sure if it's been answered yet.

When wiring the BEC directly to the servo- there is always power to it when plugged to the battery correct? Now at this point, with the current wire diagram shown below- the ESC is still powering the RX but an on/off switch is still used. Would it be possible to wire the BEC to the ESC's on/off switch? so I can turn them both on and off simultaneously?

My plan was to run everything the way that Castle Creations has shown in their diagram. However I wanted to run the steering servo at 6v- but not the Dig servo because it would be using more power than necesarry and draining the battery faster. Would I need to wire the BEC directly to the servo at this point in order to seperate the voltage difference?

Thanks!

Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

This is what I had pictured in my head.

Not sure if I'm right though...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

why is everyone coming up with different ways to wire CC BEC ....i just pulled the positive "red" wire from the ESC plug and have no issues at all with glitches and such...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
why is everyone coming up with different ways to wire CC BEC ....i just pulled the positive "red" wire from the ESC plug and have no issues at all with glitches and such...............bob

my drawing was not so much a new diagram. I was just trying to provide a picture for a question I asked.

I'll probably just run my setup the way CC describes. But I would like to link my ESC on/off switch to my BEC.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
This is what I had pictured in my head.

Not sure if I'm right though...
You dont have a signal for the steering servo and the on off switch is only going to work for your esc and leave the bec on, otherwise it would work.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
You dont have a signal for the steering servo and the on off switch is only going to work for your esc and leave the bec on, otherwise it would work.
Really? I drew an orange wire from the BEC to the ESC though. oh wait.. haha opps! I meant to draw an orange wire from the Steering servo to the RX.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #97

Default separate battery for steering

if i wanted to run my steering from a 6v source instead of the 7.2v pack, how do i do this? i have a futaba 2ph radio , matching receiver, novak xrs speed control, and hitec 645mg servo. i found the truck slows too much when i apply steering(axles are locked). i wanted to take the power draw away from my motor when i steer. i had bought a 4 nicd holder at the source and soldered a servo adapter to it. i put it into the battery slot in the receiver, without unpluging the speed control. i am assuming i have to cut one or both the red and black wires coming from the speed control to the receiver not to overload the receiver? the black(neutral) red(power+)and yellow(signal)? correct?

any help appreciated. thanks guys!
stanpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Ok, this how I ended up setting mine up. I wanted to be able to easily connect the BEC to the Castle Link if needed so here's what I did.

Sorry for digging up this old post but hey, I used the search function.

How is the RX getting it's power? From the diagram it looks like the only input power might be coming from is the ESC through the the throttle connector or am I missing something?
Timmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
How is the RX getting it's power? From the diagram it looks like the only input power might be coming from is the ESC through the the throttle connector or am I missing something?
You are correct.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #100
Rock Stacker

I run an old futaba magnum sport radio and reciever with a CC Sidewinder. I installed a CC BEC set to 7.2v over the weekend and wired it in per CC's instructions but added a switch between the battery and BEC. To disable power from the esc I cut off the switch and shrink wraped the wires. Seems to work ok and no magic smoke yet.
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote