Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #161
Yashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
The ground going to the RX is an option. Not normally needed with Futaba radios, may be needed with other radios.

Now, should I be really picky and say that the "ground" (black or red wire) is normally towards the outside edge of the RX??

IF YOU LIKE
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
IF YOU LIKE
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #163
Yashua

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-iii View Post
the ground going to the rx is an option. Not normally needed with futaba radios, may be needed with other radios
i'm just going with what castle recommends, they warranty there bec's without a problem and they recommend the ground wire with any setup so i'll go with that.
I know i was having glitching issues with my wifes creeper untill i wired this way, albiet with spectrum system.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
i'm just going with what castle recommends, they warranty there bec's without a problem and they recommend the ground wire with any setup so i'll go with that.
I know i was having glitching issues with my wifes creeper untill i wired this way, albiet with spectrum system.
It won't hurt to do it that way (black BEC wire to RX) and I don't believe it's any better EXCEPT that some radios glitch unless it's connected that way. Spectrum's are one that tend to get glitchy.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #165
Quarry Creeper

OK, maybe someone can help me out. I am adding LEDs to my scaler using servo boards as the controllers (at least 3 or 4 circuits). I have an 8-channel receiver (Turnigy) to go with my hacked GT3B radio. I would like to run these servo boards off of a separate battery via a BEC. How would I wire in a second battery with a BEC so that the ESC powers my steering servo, but the lighting controllers are powered via the BEC and second battery?
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72 View Post
OK, maybe someone can help me out. I am adding LEDs to my scaler using servo boards as the controllers (at least 3 or 4 circuits). I have an 8-channel receiver (Turnigy) to go with my hacked GT3B radio. I would like to run these servo boards off of a separate battery via a BEC. How would I wire in a second battery with a BEC so that the ESC powers my steering servo, but the lighting controllers are powered via the BEC and second battery?
You don't really need a 2nd battery, but it's not much different either way.

From a battery pack (the drive one, or the 2nd one) connect the red BEC wire to the pack, the black BEC wire to the pack. If you want, you can use a mini deans on the pack & input of the BEC so you can swap packs.
On the output side of the BEC, you can solder the wires direct to the board, or use a connector. If the boards have an input similar to the RX, a lot of LHS's have connector kits for servo's to plug them into the RX. I use Futaba connector kits (housing, 3 female connectors, ~$1.25) which you can use to connect the BEC output to the board making it removable.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #167
Quarry Creeper

I'm not entirely sure of your description. I am wanting to tie in the power from the 2nd battery (via BEC) into my receiver to power the addtional channels for the lighting while, if possible use the ESC's BEC to power the steering servo. This is where I'm confused as to how to wire it. I assume that I would need to keep the ESC's red wire in place, but do I pull a wire from the BEC's lead going into the receiver? Or is this even possible?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #168
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure of your description. I am wanting to tie in the power from the 2nd battery (via BEC) into my receiver to power the addtional channels for the lighting while, if possible use the ESC's BEC to power the steering servo. This is where I'm confused as to how to wire it. I assume that I would need to keep the ESC's red wire in place, but do I pull a wire from the BEC's lead going into the receiver? Or is this even possible?
I would have to believe the LED's etc. draw almost nothing compared to the servo.
I think it would be better to use the ESC BEC to power the RX (including lights) and use the external BEC to run the servo.
The external BEC can run off the main battery pack, or off a secondary pack.

At least I understand what you are trying to do now.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #169
Quarry Creeper

Maybe that WOULD be the better option. The servo will definitely pull more than the lights, even though the servo is only an Hitec 645.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe that WOULD be the better option. The servo will definitely pull more than the lights, even though the servo is only an Hitec 645.
For a 645, you can likely do away with the 2nd battery and just use the external BEC and a single battery. If you had a 7950, or similar, along with lights, etc., then "maybe" a 2nd battery would be needed.

Hopefully either your pack is a hi "C" (35C +) or lower "C" but high capacity (3000mah+) to handle short term high draw off it.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #171
Quarry Creeper

I'm using a 2S 5000mah 40C pack, so I should be good. Now, I just need to gather up a few burned out servos.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #172
I wanna be Dave

I still think direct from the BEC to the servo is best, you can do it this way.... BEC to Servo connector
Old 01-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #173
RCC Addict

Default Re: Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

there is a plug you can purchase at Creation Fab for those who want to bypass the receiver and wire the BEC directly to the servo(s): CreationFab - Plugs Other Receiver Bypass Adapter
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #174
RCC Addict

...or, you can purchase the Paradox BEC Jacks: Products and Ordering
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #175

I`m am a newbie at all this , just started crawling this fall, but i have been doing my homework on the electronics, here is something i found here at RCCrawler.

Here is a valuable piece of info i got here from another member who spoke to Hitec support about BEC`s and 7.4 volt servos.
Here is my setup:

Axial XR10
HH TM 45t Sports 2x
FXR single
2s 20c lipo
Hitec 7950 @ 7.4 v

According to Hitec Tech support you don`t need a BEC with this setup , i wired everything just like you would with a bec , i.e. power directly from the bat to the servo and the signal w/ground to the rx, ( i added a switch between the bat and the servo so i can cut power without having to unplug the bat).

The only drawback i can see from this is as your bat drains and gets to cutoff ,your torque will go from 483 to the minimal 403 torque rating. I haven`t tried this on the rocks yet but bench tests all look good .

I was thinking of adding an inline fuse to protect the servo, gotta see how hot it gets like this , but as i said no field test yet ( still to cold lol ) so if anyone here has tried this ," dose it work well in hard crawling ?

Rock_Diggn_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #176
Quarry Creeper

great thread, im running a hitec 7955th on my budget xr and it just wasn't getting the job done with the bec wired to castles recomendations but it make sense since the cc bec was running the servo, reciever & dig, i now have the bec in the esc running the reciever & dig, while the cc bec runs just the servo, there is a noticeable difference in servo output, i was about ready to buy another servo but it's good now

Last edited by srt6; 01-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
there is a plug you can purchase at Creation Fab for those who want to bypass the receiver and wire the BEC directly to the servo(s): CreationFab - Plugs Other Receiver Bypass Adapter

Has anyone used this?
I have one that i wanted to use on my Hitec 7955.
Just wanted to know which one of the 2 I should plug the servo in.
Have a BRXL and set the BEC to 6v running on 2s.
Do I need to unplug any of the esc wires that go into the rx?
Thank you in advance for the info.
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #178
Quarry Creeper

All wires from ESC to to RX. The dual wire, male plug goes to the rx and the three wire plug to the servo.
You should always check voltage with a meter BEFORE you plug in your servo!!
I fried a JR9100 last night after flipping pos and neg inside the pro bec while rewiring it. Rook maneuver and would still have a $130 servo had I tested it first : (

EDIT: the Plug linked above is a little different than the one I made.

you will need all wires from your ESC to the RX. This is the only source of rx power. The power on the harness is looped directly from your BEC to the servo.

The directions are right there on the linked page.

Plug external BEC into the side with a red and black wire, and your servo into the other side. The male plug goes into the servo channel in the RX like normal. This puts power directly to the servo, taking strain off of the rx.

Last edited by BELADOG; 02-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.
BELADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #179
RCC Addict

BELADOG Thanks for the info. I read the instructions on the website.
Just to see if anyone was using this product. Wanted to make sure before I did something wrong.
Have a good one and thank you again.
shwng1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #180

Does this look right? Didn't find much on wiring a Punk Dig unit and BEC.

Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC
Tekin FX-R ESC
Punk Dig Unit
Spektrum SR300 Receiver
Hitec HS-7954SH Servo at 7.4V
3S Lipo

Going on an XR10.
Polarity switched for rear motor, right?
Power source connectors always female (battery and dig leads)?

Thanks for any input
Attached Images

cpercival is offline   Reply With Quote