Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Did I toast my lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Did I toast my lipo?

I'm running a pair of 1300mah 3s Vislero lipo packs. One of them, following a comp this weekend, appears to be very slightly inflated. I can press the top of the pack down 1/32 or 1/16 of a inch. I know that an inflated appearance is an indicator that a Lipo pack is internally damaged, but I've never actually seen one do this. As a relative noob to lipo, I'm not sure if the pack is safe to use. Any advice? The pack did take 1032mah tonight from my Hyperion EOS 0606i this evening with no problems. This is about right for how hard I hammered my rig at the comp. I'm running a Sidewinder and a 55t Integy, if that makes any difference.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It may be puffing from over use, bad manufacturing, or just getting near the useful life of the pack. The puffing will decrease the capacity and discharge ability of the pack, and as it gets older it will become more dangerous to use. I have used puffy packs before, but I can't recommend it.

You are about the fifth guy this week that has posted that his vislero pack is getting puffy, I had 4 of them all crap out at once in the last month. My best guess is that it is the end of cycle life on these.

When I recommended the packs originally I was basing my decision from the manufacturers specs and the known amp draws that a 55t will pull at stall. Since the factory over rated them quite a bit I feel that they were not the best choice for a long lived lipo. Now I recommend a bit more battery and will put cells on a logger in my rigs before even carrying them in my store. Live and learn I suppose.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 04-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Annoying. I've only had them a few months, and have no more than 10-15 runs through them, and they've never been charged more than 1x/day. Any chance I'm pulling down enough amperage to toast them? Is there anyone I can contact about warrantying them, or do they have a warranty?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

No warrenties were given on them from the factory. Did you get them through me?

I edited my first post a bit.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
No warrenties were given on them from the factory. Did you get them through me?

I edited my first post a bit.
Yup. Got my charger from you, too, and have been really happy with it. I'm the same guy that emailed you last week about the possibility of changes to the 10t crawler motors and then sent you a reply with about 1000 questions. Gotta say, I'm appreciative of your being on the forum to help deal with stuff like this. Its why I gave you my money. As a total side note, any idea when you'll be getting more HH stickers in? Also, how much will a 55t pull, anyway?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

One of my 1300 Vislero 3S packs puffed up slightly the other day. I went ahead and balanced charged it on my Hyperion EOS0610i. It accepted a full charge and when I check on the pack today the puffiness was gone. I don't know if it expanded some from use, and then once it was charged and sat 24hours it cooled down or what. I use the 1300's in my 2.2 scaler with a MM, BEC, and 55 turn Axiom. I get an hour run time and I have charged it 20 times at least. I balance charge every time. I would go ahead and charge it. Just keep an eye on it when you do. Good luck and it may not be a lost cause.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #7

I have unweeded stickers I could throw on the site. I have been trying to throw them in orders to get rid of them lately. I have hit up a few printer companies to try and get away from cut vinyl and they seem to be pretty slow to respond.

10-15 cycles just isn't acceptable. I can get you a good replacement if we can figure out what you want and need. For the other pack that is still good, try to keep from binding up the motor too bad to keep the battery going for as long as possible. Kinda sucks to have to *****foot to keep a battery good, but that is why I don't carry them anymore.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 05-01-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks. I'll take you up on that. Any suggestions on a replacement? I'd really like something that will fit on the Axial LCG plate, but am wanting to upgrade to one of your 10t cobalt pullers, so I'm flexible on that. I'll cheerfully buy unweeded stickers.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #9

Just give me a measurement on how long the battery can be and I can tell you. I don't have the lcg plate. I think that we might be stuck with the same length if it is to sit on the front axle. Enerland makes a 1600 pack that is the same form factor as your 1300, just taller. Otherwise you will have to move the battery elsewhere. On the 10t puller a 2100 15c is really the bare minimum, and batteries with better discharge and lower capacity are generally the same size. You have now hit the jet fighter problem. You have a big motor, a small vehicle, and less space than is needed for your fuel. Welcome to every single build of mine
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The Vislero pack was an absolutely perfect fit at 65mm x 32mm. I'm kicking around the idea of mounting the battery to or over my front links to allow me to go to a more powerful motor. Esp true if I get that GC-2 I've been wanting.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #11

The enerland 1600 is the only pack I have found that will fit that same space http://rclipos.com/PolyquestLP.htm but I can't comment on how it would work with a puller. Many of the short 1300 packs have been discod and the newer 25C 1300s are the same length as 2100's.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

That 1600 pack might work, but I'm not sure. That Vislero was pretty close. I'm open to a 2100 or something similar for the same footprint as the current 1500mah-ish packs. I took a look and you don't have anything like that up on your site.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #13

Yeah, I'm between packs that I want to carry at the moment. I can pretty much get anything you want in fast though, or have it drop shipped to you even. One thing you could do is stack two smaller packs like the 1500 for twice the rating. Just measure to make sure that two stacked isn't too tall for your liking. Then you can always have single packs available.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Two stacked packs would get destroyed pretty quickly. I'm not too great at keeping the rubber side down . I'm open to pretty much whatever, especially if it would allow me more power with the same run time (45 minutes to an hour). It seems like the 18c 2500mah polyquest on the site you linked might work. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #15

Yeah, a good choice as long as you have the room for it somewhere.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Suggestions? I haven't tried to mount a pack that big on my crawler before. Am I correct in thinking that this thing would power a cobalt puller? Also, how do you want to work a credit?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #17

I can make up a coupon for you. It should power a Puller just fine, I have used 2100 15C packs no problem. You could mount it on your top links, or maybe around the chassis somewhere. Rear axle could be an option too if you are willing to put some lead on the front to counterbalance. I either used NIMH saddle packs on my axial or put the lipo on the front links with a bit of plastic to span the links. Now the axial is in pieces.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Sounds good. Feel free to PM me, or respond to the email I sent you a couple of days ago with it. What is the best way for me to pay for a pack you don't have on the site?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #19

I don't see an email from you, I will shoot you an email.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Cool, thanks. I'll look forward to it. Thanks for you time tonight.