Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery connectors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Battery connectors

I have been reading all that I can but I'm still swaying back and forth on the connector issue.. My RTR Axial crawler has the tamiya connector so that's what I bought for a battery and charger.. I've been told to upgrade to a dean connector.. So, how would I benefit from this???

My 3800 mAh 7.2v battery w/ my Integy 55T motor runs for well over an hour on the rocks and I like it just fine..

Basically I've read that the *standard* tamiya connector is junk and the deans is the way to go, but WHY? What is there to gain by switching connectors??

How hard of a job would it be to swap connectors if there really was a good reason to??
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

well the biggest reason for swapping to DEAN's is the fact that deans connectors have less resistance than the same length of wire. Yam's on the other hand have alot more than the same length of wire making the connectors a weak point. The whole thing with electricity is that your setup is only as good as your weakest link. That being said you will see an improvement with the change to Deans plugs. I would even suggest putting them on the motor leads as well. As for the difficulty..... If you know hao to soilder its not hard at all, if you don't find some one that can show you how because it is a very important thing to know when dealing with R/C.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

If you use the tamiya connectors long enough they start to wear. The pins slide deep into the housings from rapid unplugging. Dirt and grime amplify the problem. Eventually the connectors get so bad they heat up do to the resistance created from the bad connecton. The heat is sometimes bad enough to melt the connectors together.

Several reasons to swap connectors.
1. Tamiya connectors are a pain unplug with that lever deal thing.

2. Tamiya connectors can't take high drain.

3. Tamiya connectors are sensitive to the elements.

4. Good connectors provide a much more reliable connection.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Get the deans, back when I was running my RC-10 with a 12 turn I fused the tamiya connectoer together. Way to much resistance.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Here's something I forgot to add.. If I switch my crawler and batteries to deans, can I use an adapter for my charger?? I need the tamiya connector at least for charging the Traxxas EZ start batteries as that's all the thing will take.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yeah I had to do the same thing for the same reason. Just cut the tam plug from your crawler battery with just enough lead on it to add a deans to it. so on one end you will have a tam battery plug and on the other a male deans plug. works like a charm!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #7

other connectors do exist, you can try the traxxas high current connectors. i look'd at the dean's seemed to confusing and went with the traxs. no problems so far. connectors are a lil' larger and easy to grasp.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC0&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDB9&P=ML
njrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #8

It is not quite as easy as it sounds until you get the hang of it. I would sujest getting some spare Deans plugs to start with. I melted probably 3 of them before I got the hang of it. First one was awfull. Second was almost as bad. The third was pretty good and I was starting to get full of myself, till I forgot the heat shrink. No problem I thought, took off the old and started over, only to have it way to hot and melted it also. Now it takes longer for my iron to heat up than it does to put 2 on. Practice makes perfect.
asfasasu3 is offline   Reply With Quote