Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: outrunner options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default outrunner options?

I have an outrunner that I'm having issues with.
I would like to try something else while it's being figured out and wanted some input.

What are you guys using?
I'm running a mamba max/cc bec, lipos.

Last edited by Mule; 06-24-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I am running the bm9, sidewinder, cc bec on 9.6v subc pack. I really like it so far. I am going to 3s lipo soon so more wheel speed will come.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have a BM9 on my TLT tuber, it's never given me a problem other than breaking parts...... I forgot that TCS carries them.
So is anyone using the MB16 on their 2.2? Or is that too much?

Last edited by Mule; 06-24-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

HH Crawlmaster 3014 - 1kv @7.4V with 3C/MM/ccBEC/8T on a 2.2. more tourqe than anyone can ask for. Super smooth wheel speed, tuff as ever tourqe and comp winning specs

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=19&page=1
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The crawlmaster is what I'm having problems with, I'm wanting to try something else while I try and get this figured out with JRH.... Nice motor when it works, IF it's the motor. I haven't swapped out the BEC yet, been waiting to talk to him and see what he thinks. Good guy, so I don't expect any issues.....
Old 06-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I have a BM9 on my TLT tuber, it's never given me a problem other than breaking parts...... I forgot that TCS carries them.
So is anyone using the MB16 on their 2.2? Or is that too much?
I have used the bm-16 in a 2.2 before. With a smaller battery its very manageable, but it will still tear up parts quick.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks.... I'm already running a slipper clutch because of that - I'm pretty hard on my stuff, I have a wall of busted parts from my 1:1.:-P
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

another bm9 here...awesome power just need some more wheel speed, mabey some lipos for me soon.
bent70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent70 View Post
another bm9 here...awesome power just need some more wheel speed, mabey some lipos for me soon.
LiPos are the only way to go, talk about wheel speed and parts flying.... I sent a driveline flying in three pieces one day. Now my daughter drives it and I just look the other way and grit my teeth. That BM9 is a bad little motor, I'm glad you guys reminded me of it.

I'm toying with getting a BM16, MUST HAVE MORE POWER!!!! bwahahahaha
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Mule,

You should send me the motor so I can check it out. It haven't been able to figure out the issue otherwise, I ran out of ideas on what it could be unless it is setup or battery related.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Did you get my message on your web page?
I can send the sidewinder and motor if you want. I'm at whits end too and am not sure what else to do. I did wonder about the CC BEC, I was going to change that out tonight and see what happens.... But, changing the motor is the other variable.
Shoot me an email with the address to send it to, when I get the replacement motor I'll send you this one to look at..... Actually, I'll send the whole setup - BEC, Sidewinder and motor if you want. I think the BEC came from you as well......
Greg

Just sent you an email instead.....

Last edited by Mule; 06-25-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

i have ran a bm9 on a 2 cell and it worked great on a light rig. as i added weight i had to gear down and volt up to 11.1 volts to get it to work how i like it. that being said its a great (and cheap) motor and it works very well. i would recommend them all day long. http://www.tcscrawlers.com sells them
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

so whats better Crawlmaster or BM9?
cabsover78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Good question. I think the crawlmaster has better top end punch, but beyond that I can't tell. My daughter and I have different driving styles, and I can't remember driving her tuber now. I would have to drive the two through the same section for comparison. But, I can't do that till I get it fixed. I'm going to use a BM9 till the crawlmaster is figured out. John and I will work that part out when he gets my stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #15
RCC Addict

crawl masters are expensive and heavy compared to a bm9. im sure they have some more torque but you could always gear down and volt up the bm9 to match.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have been running brushed 55t Novak or Integy since I started last summer and just switched over to a BM9 and Sidewinder that I had JRH pre program for me and love it despite loosing some wheel speed...the way I drive that's probably a good thing!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_superman View Post
crawl masters are expensive and heavy compared to a bm9. im sure they have some more torque but you could always gear down and volt up the bm9 to match.
Only if you didn't add voltage to the Crawlmaster would the BM9 match the power, and the torque would still be lower. Can't really compare a 3 ounce motor to a 4.25 ounce motor on power, the bigger motor wins every time. Is the extra power needed? Gotta make that call for yourself.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Not that I've had a bit to run the BM9, I have to say I prefer the Crawlmaster hands down to the 9. It had better slow performance, solid response, much less screeching from the motor (my wife went nuts when I drove the 9 in the house). It is still a good motor, but just not as good.....

Anyway, back to my glitching problem that set this post off. I found out the CC BEC is to blame. At least I haven't had any glitches yet running a new CC BEC. I will know after today.....
Old 06-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

i have a bm16 in my scorpion and it's been great the startup under load isn't as good as my 35t intergy but the downhill speed control is way better and it starts really smooth but with some resistance it needs a little more power so a very slow creep under load can seem to be a little stop start but i havent had it very long so i may be able to smooth it out but it's not that big a deal
i have it with a sidewinder and a slipper clutch to save the drivetrain from the awsome power and a 3s lipo and im thinking of going to a 4s so i can do donuts again
bluelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelightning View Post
i have a bm16 in my scorpion and it's been great the startup under load isn't as good as my 35t intergy but the downhill speed control is way better and it starts really smooth but with some resistance it needs a little more power so a very slow creep under load can seem to be a little stop start but i havent had it very long so i may be able to smooth it out but it's not that big a deal
i have it with a sidewinder and a slipper clutch to save the drivetrain from the awsome power and a 3s lipo and im thinking of going to a 4s so i can do donuts again
I have been playing with the starting power and the timing on mine, it seems to be helping.
I haven't put the cm back in yet, so it will probably change. The punch is so much better with a brushless that I feel it makes a brushed motor seem lame - in that regard only! I still like brushed, just not in the 2.2 crawlers. I'm running 2) 55Ts w/ 2C Lipos in my clod.