Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Super brain 960??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Super brain 960??

I got 3 6cell split battery packs from TCS when I bought my ax-10 a few weeks ago. Well my batteries only last 10 minutes now. When I charge them at .5V it only takes 24minutes and I know it should take over a hour. That is how long it takes my buddies to charge his at .5V but he has a different charger. I was reading the advance instructions and it says that I can adjust the delta peak threshold from 5mV to 70mV. When I plug in my battery it always reads 30mV. I was just wandering what I should set the peak to with the 6cell battery packs.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well after charging my one of my batteries on a friends charger at .5V he said it took a few hours so it must of been REALLY dead. We went to our local spot and my battery lasted 10 minutes so I threw it on the charger in the truck. This time I set the mV setting to 50. It was at 66 minutes when we left there and I had to stop it but it was pretty much charged. Also the battery I charged on my friend charger last over a hour.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

With 2/3A's and the first few charges, it is best to start low amperage and set the peak .5ma. You are correct in that it should take an hour or more to charge 6 cells. After the first few charges you can work your way up to 1 amp or 1.5 (assuming it's a 1500 mah pack). You never want to go above 2amp charge rate in the 2/3A's. It will produce more heat and shorten the life on the battery. So is this the same charger that had given you problems before?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
With 2/3A's and the first few charges, it is best to start low amperage and set the peak .5ma. You are correct in that it should take an hour or more to charge 6 cells. After the first few charges you can work your way up to 1 amp or 1.5 (assuming it's a 1500 mah pack). You never want to go above 2amp charge rate in the 2/3A's. It will produce more heat and shorten the life on the battery. So is this the same charger that had given you problems before?

Same one. When I first got it I was charging them at 1.6V because it says on TCS website not to charge them over that. Well when I started having problems I started charging them at .5V it seems that the charge times keep getting shorter and shorter. Also they are 1500 mah packs. What is .5ma? Does the ma stand for something? I can adjust the amps from .2-4.50 but I have never gone over 1.6. And I can set the mV from 05 to 50. I have never adjusted the mV and I am not even sure what it is. I dont see anything that says ma.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
Same one. When I first got it I was charging them at 1.6V because it says on TCS website not to charge them over that. Well when I started having problems I started charging them at .5V it seems that the charge times keep getting shorter and shorter. Also they are 1500 mah packs. What is .5ma? Does the ma stand for something? I can adjust the amps from .2-4.50 but I have never gone over 1.6. And I can set the mV from 05 to 50. I have never adjusted the mV and I am not even sure what it is. I dont see anything that says ma.
Here is the definition
0.20 is Milli amps (MA)
1.00 is amps (A)

If you have a 6 cell, 2/3A 1500NiMh battery pack, your charger should be set like this; 7.2 volts, 1.5 Amps (after they have been charged a few times), with a peak MilliVolt (MV) setting of 05. Since the packs are new, set the amps to .7 and work your way up each charge until you reach 1.5 amps. You could go higher to 2 amps on the charge and they will charge faster, but it could cost longevity of the cells.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here is the definition
0.20 is Milli amps (MA)
1.00 is amps (A)

If you have a 6 cell, 2/3A 1500NiMh battery pack, your charger should be set like this; 7.2 volts, 1.5 Amps (after they have been charged a few times), with a peak MilliVolt (MV) setting of 05. Since the packs are new, set the amps to .7 and work your way up each charge until you reach 1.5 amps. You could go higher to 2 amps on the charge and they will charge faster, but it could cost longevity of the cells.
Thanks I will try all of that and hopefully get some better run time out of them. The charger doesnt let me adjust the voltage. Usually when they are done charging it is like 8.4 volts or so.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Update: I just stuck a battery on there that I had drove on for about a hour yesterday and set it is .7Amps and 05mV and it only took 23 minutes to charge and when it was done the mV was only 27. Yesterday when I charged one in the truck I set it to .6Amps and 50mV and it took over a hour and when I unplugged it the mV was around 160 I believe. I cant remember for sure but i know it was up there. So does it hurt to charge them at 50mV? The factory setting on the charged has been 30mV and that doesnt seem to work either.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I guess you need to do what works. This is part of the reason I won't own a super brain. I received one in trade over a year ago, tried it once and then sold it. Hyperion chargers are the best for the money. You can find more expensive ones, but the Hyperions have never let me down. The menu screen is simple to navigate and built in features make it easy to use. If you can hold off on other parts, buy a quality charger first. You will be money ahead in the long run by properly maintaining your batteries and happier due to solid run times and no more headaches.

The only other cheaper charger I have consistently had good performance with was a Duratrax Piranha. I have owned two of them and used them mostly for all the many RC18's my family had. They only charge NiCd & NiMh. They run around $45 or so, are easier to use and much better (IMO) than the MRC chargers. Here's a link:
http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4005.html
Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I guess you need to do what works. This is part of the reason I won't own a super brain. I received one in trade over a year ago, tried it once and then sold it. Hyperion chargers are the best for the money. You can find more expensive ones, but the Hyperions have never let me down. The menu screen is simple to navigate and built in features make it easy to use. If you can hold off on other parts, buy a quality charger first. You will be money ahead in the long run by properly maintaining your batteries and happier due to solid run times and no more headaches.

The only other cheaper charger I have consistently had good performance with was a Duratrax Piranha. I have owned two of them and used them mostly for all the many RC18's my family had. They only charge NiCd & NiMh. They run around $45 or so, are easier to use and much better (IMO) than the MRC chargers. Here's a link:
http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4005.html
I looked into the hyperion chargers and even the cheapest ones run $130. I dont really plan on going to lypos. They are really expensive and I feel like i can get plenty of performance out of the Nimh battery packs as long as I can keep a good charge on them. That piranha looks like a really nice charger and it good price. I will pick one of those up this week and hopefully that will help out.