Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual ESCs on one channel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Dual ESCs on one channel?

Can I use a splitter to control 2 ESCs on one channel?

Lets say I have clod axles and my radio doesn't have mixing ... could I use 2 ESCs with a splitter (servo splitter) then an inline switch to "kill" power to the rear for digging?
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

What would be the point of the two ESCs?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default clod stall

He would run two esc one for each motor because for some reason clods put the power to the front wheels and less to the rear when the rear needs the power push on.
d-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't be afraid of the clodstall.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fly View Post
He would run two esc one for each motor because for some reason clods put the power to the front wheels and less to the rear when the rear needs the power push on.
Ughhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Clod stall is caused by differing loads on each motor. Each motor recieves a set voltage from the esc for any givin point on the throttle. For example lets say that 1/4 throttle deliveres 2 volts to the motor. This will only produce a set amount of amps, amps=torque. So now you have 2 motors putting out a set amount of torque. While climbing the rear receives more load. If this load exceeds the amount of torque the motor will stall. In a clod the rear will get more load durring a climb, so while the torque supplied by said 2 volts isn't enough to power the more heavily loaded rear it is enough to spin the front. Stall.
So if you just add another esc with a y harness this is what happens, you give the truck 1/4 throttle, the esc's get the same signal, they send 2 volts to the motors. No difference. Waisted ESC.
While driving there is an infinite variable of load between the front and rear. No setup will automaticly adjust for this, only slight compensation can be achieved.
The only cure is to learn to drive a twin stick radio with no mixing. You control both esc's all the time. Thats what I do, it works extremely well for me. It also opens up a whole new world of abilities to the world of compitition.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze
Clod stall is caused by differing loads on each motor. Each motor recieves a set voltage from the esc for any givin point on the throttle. For example lets say that 1/4 throttle deliveres 2 volts to the motor. This will only produce a set amount of amps, amps=torque. So now you have 2 motors putting out a set amount of torque. While climbing the rear receives more load. If this load exceeds the amount of torque the motor will stall. In a clod the rear will get more load durring a climb, so while the torque supplied by said 2 volts isn't enough to power the more heavily loaded rear it is enough to spin the front. Stall.
So if you just add another esc with a y harness this is what happens, you give the truck 1/4 throttle, the esc's get the same signal, they send 2 volts to the motors. No difference. Waisted ESC.
While driving there is an infinite variable of load between the front and rear. No setup will automaticly adjust for this, only slight compensation can be achieved.
The only cure is to learn to drive a twin stick radio with no mixing. You control both esc's all the time. Thats what I do, it works extremely well for me. It also opens up a whole new world of abilities to the world of compitition.
Thats the kind of answer I was looking for.

thanks
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote