RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Deciding on a ESC (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/125452-deciding-esc.html)

shaggy 06-29-2008 07:07 PM

Deciding on a ESC
 
OK so I'm putting all the parts together for an axial ARR. But I still cant decide on the ESC. The one I am leaning to is the castle creations sidewinder. I am new to this forum and have read countless post talking about the benefits of the sidewinder. I just want a ESC that can handle what I want to do. I plan on installing a 4ws kit (I know i cant compete with 4ws) and I want an esp to handle it. My main questions are is it a good unit, do I need to install the castle bec unit. Last but not least I want to know if I can run my receiver and servos off the main battery (a 7.2 NIMH) instead of a receiver pack. But what I have read the castle bec and esp can step down the voltage to be safe for servos. I would also buy the castle link for programmability. The receiver is a spektrum sr3000

I know its long :shock: Sorry

sparky0068 06-29-2008 07:13 PM

Rooster crawler or Tekin rebel 2 are both good choices. With either you will not need a external bec.

Deezul 06-29-2008 08:41 PM

tekin fxr...if you stay brushed

deephis46 06-29-2008 09:01 PM

had Tekin Rebel 2, the bec good enough for support my 5.75lbs crawler, but no drag brake or full brake though..forward i'm looking for cc sidewinder or tekin fxr

Trugg 06-29-2008 09:26 PM

x2 for the Tekin FXR (if staying brushed)

bigflex 06-29-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trugg (Post 1244392)
x2 for the Tekin FXR (if staying brushed)

X3"thumbsup"

shaggy 06-30-2008 03:16 AM

the only problem with the tekin FXR is the price for it and the hotwire kit. (the castle link is sold on ebay for $1) Also can i run my servos off of the main battery how would I do this? will a esc step down the 7.2 volts to 6 volts to be safe

MCSCOTT 06-30-2008 07:02 AM

I have two sidewinders and am getting ready to order one or two more. I've heard alot of good things about the Tekin FXR but for now I'm gonna stick with what I know. If I remember right the internal BEC on a sidewinder is somewhere around 5.1v, so your servos will be fine, but I like having the CCBEC so I can bump it up to 6v. Get the Sidewinder and the Castle Link, and then you can use the same link if you ever decide to put the external CCBEC on it.

Torch 06-30-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCSCOTT (Post 1244656)
I have two sidewinders and am getting ready to order one or two more. I've heard alot of good things about the Tekin FXR but for now I'm gonna stick with what I know. If I remember right the internal BEC on a sidewinder is somewhere around 5.1v, so your servos will be fine, but I like having the CCBEC so I can bump it up to 6v. Get the Sidewinder and the Castle Link, and then you can use the same link if you ever decide to put the external CCBEC on it.

This is sound advise. Don't forget that you can change over to brushless and keep the same esc.8)

mysharona 06-30-2008 09:49 AM

the sidewinder is a great esc, I have two. the bec is a little weak, 5.1 volts, and I thing 1.5 amps. a ccbec is a must. I have never owned a tekkin and probably never will, only 'cause I would have to order it online and I like supporting my local hobby shops. also the programmability of the sidewinder is amazing with the castle link! "thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

Robb 06-30-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1244606)
the only problem with the tekin FXR is the price for it and the hotwire kit. (the castle link is sold on ebay for $1)

If you order a castle link, make sure you get a complete castle link. Most all on eBay re $20+, and if you are talking about the one sitting for $.99 right now, that is not a complete castle link kit and would not work on a Sidewinder.

shaggy 06-30-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb (Post 1244772)
If you order a castle link, make sure you get a complete castle link. Most all on eBay re $20+, and if you are talking about the one sitting for $.99 right now, that is not a complete castle link kit and would not work on a Sidewinder.

Thanks I didn't really look at it that close. I'm leaning toward the sidewinder with the castle link. How would I go about running all of my servos off of a 7.2 NIMH. Cause my receiver can handle up to 9.6 volts (spektrum sr3000) but i only want to run 6.0 volts to the servos. Does the esc do that automatically?

MCSCOTT 06-30-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1244981)
Thanks I didn't really look at it that close. I'm leaning toward the sidewinder with the castle link. How would I go about running all of my servos off of a 7.2 NIMH. Cause my receiver can handle up to 9.6 volts (spektrum sr3000) but i only want to run 6.0 volts to the servos. Does the esc do that automatically?

That's what the 5.1v internal bec is about. You can power them just off the Sidewinder, but later on you will want to get a Castle BEC in my opinion. With that you can use the same link to bump the external bec up to 6.0v or however high you wanna go.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com