Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Deciding on a ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Deciding on a ESC

OK so I'm putting all the parts together for an axial ARR. But I still cant decide on the ESC. The one I am leaning to is the castle creations sidewinder. I am new to this forum and have read countless post talking about the benefits of the sidewinder. I just want a ESC that can handle what I want to do. I plan on installing a 4ws kit (I know i cant compete with 4ws) and I want an esp to handle it. My main questions are is it a good unit, do I need to install the castle bec unit. Last but not least I want to know if I can run my receiver and servos off the main battery (a 7.2 NIMH) instead of a receiver pack. But what I have read the castle bec and esp can step down the voltage to be safe for servos. I would also buy the castle link for programmability. The receiver is a spektrum sr3000

I know its long Sorry
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Rooster crawler or Tekin rebel 2 are both good choices. With either you will not need a external bec.
sparky0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

tekin fxr...if you stay brushed
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

had Tekin Rebel 2, the bec good enough for support my 5.75lbs crawler, but no drag brake or full brake though..forward i'm looking for cc sidewinder or tekin fxr
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

x2 for the Tekin FXR (if staying brushed)
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
x2 for the Tekin FXR (if staying brushed)
X3
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the only problem with the tekin FXR is the price for it and the hotwire kit. (the castle link is sold on ebay for $1) Also can i run my servos off of the main battery how would I do this? will a esc step down the 7.2 volts to 6 volts to be safe
Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have two sidewinders and am getting ready to order one or two more. I've heard alot of good things about the Tekin FXR but for now I'm gonna stick with what I know. If I remember right the internal BEC on a sidewinder is somewhere around 5.1v, so your servos will be fine, but I like having the CCBEC so I can bump it up to 6v. Get the Sidewinder and the Castle Link, and then you can use the same link if you ever decide to put the external CCBEC on it.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
I have two sidewinders and am getting ready to order one or two more. I've heard alot of good things about the Tekin FXR but for now I'm gonna stick with what I know. If I remember right the internal BEC on a sidewinder is somewhere around 5.1v, so your servos will be fine, but I like having the CCBEC so I can bump it up to 6v. Get the Sidewinder and the Castle Link, and then you can use the same link if you ever decide to put the external CCBEC on it.
This is sound advise. Don't forget that you can change over to brushless and keep the same esc.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

the sidewinder is a great esc, I have two. the bec is a little weak, 5.1 volts, and I thing 1.5 amps. a ccbec is a must. I have never owned a tekkin and probably never will, only 'cause I would have to order it online and I like supporting my local hobby shops. also the programmability of the sidewinder is amazing with the castle link!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
the only problem with the tekin FXR is the price for it and the hotwire kit. (the castle link is sold on ebay for $1)
If you order a castle link, make sure you get a complete castle link. Most all on eBay re $20+, and if you are talking about the one sitting for $.99 right now, that is not a complete castle link kit and would not work on a Sidewinder.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
If you order a castle link, make sure you get a complete castle link. Most all on eBay re $20+, and if you are talking about the one sitting for $.99 right now, that is not a complete castle link kit and would not work on a Sidewinder.
Thanks I didn't really look at it that close. I'm leaning toward the sidewinder with the castle link. How would I go about running all of my servos off of a 7.2 NIMH. Cause my receiver can handle up to 9.6 volts (spektrum sr3000) but i only want to run 6.0 volts to the servos. Does the esc do that automatically?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
Thanks I didn't really look at it that close. I'm leaning toward the sidewinder with the castle link. How would I go about running all of my servos off of a 7.2 NIMH. Cause my receiver can handle up to 9.6 volts (spektrum sr3000) but i only want to run 6.0 volts to the servos. Does the esc do that automatically?
That's what the 5.1v internal bec is about. You can power them just off the Sidewinder, but later on you will want to get a Castle BEC in my opinion. With that you can use the same link to bump the external bec up to 6.0v or however high you wanna go.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote