Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CC sindwinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default CC sindwinder?

A couple friends of mine all have the Castle sidewinder speed controller that came with there crawler. I am running the novak rooster on mine. When we get on a steep hill I have noticed that when I let off the gas on mine it will not roll back at all. There will roll back down the hill. One of them even bought a castle link and the brake is turned all the way up and it still wont hold. Is there something wrong with there or is that just how the sidewinder is? Also is the mamba max the same way?
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't know about the mamba, but the side winder has a "drag" brake, where as your rooster has a "hold" brake. My sidewinder will hold it on a hill, if I'm climbing and let off the throttle, then give the throttle a very small nudge it will hold it. Same thing going down hill, just let off the gas
and nudge the throttle towards rev., and it stays. It's kinda tricky to get used to, but I much prefer the drag brake over the hold brake
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have had no trouble out of my Sidewinder holding. I have ran it with a 55T and a 35T Warrior.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ive used both the rooster and the sidewinder and i like the sidewinder much better, not that the rooster is bad as it is a great esc it just doesnt have the programing capability of the sidewinder. but liek allgm said the rooster has a hold brake witch is not adjustable unlike the adjustability of the drag brake on the sidewinder
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Their speedo's are fine, as stated, the novak is like ripping the e-brake when your transmitter is in neutral, it aint going anywhere.

the sidewinder and MM are like riding a low gear down hill, they will give resistance and slow you down, but its not going to stop you.

Alot also depends on motor choice, some motors hold better than others.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

So the mamba max wouldnt be any better than the sidewinder as far as it rolling down the hill?
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
So the mamba max wouldnt be any better than the sidewinder as far as it rolling down the hill?
No, they are both the same. That is why you volt up and gear down. If you gear down, it will hold help stop the roll back. A lot depends on the quality of the magnets in the motor as well. Brushless will hold better than brushed (in most cases).
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've got 2 sidewinders, and if you're not on the throttle the rig wont move at all, and my drag brake is only at 10%......

All of that has to do with the 7t Cobalt motors though.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote