Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tested Li-Po today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking Tested Li-Po today.

Well I finaly got around to running the Savage crawler on Li-Po today. I used a Thunder Power 1320mah 3s, and got 20 min of run time, I checked the voltage every 5 min. Not bad for a small pack. The Li-Po never even got warm , and I bound the truck up pretty hard a couple of times so I think it`s 15C max discharge rate will do fine with the lathe motor. And much more wheel speed from the Lathe motor. Useing the batt also allowed me to move the ESC to the front axle where 3 of the 6 cells used to be. The 1320 weighs in at 3oz, one oz lighter than the Super Rooter. I will try to get some vid soon as I also just added some Moabs, this thing will go places now that were never in reach before.

4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
The Wheels Keep Turning

i also like the wheelspeed running a 3S pack. lathes are 12V motors, so might as well use it. i also had no heat generation problems with the battery running 2000mah 15C lipolys. But did find after a while they were tripping the low voltage detect too early.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I know LIpos are a great idea for lightweight situations but I thought that the weight of normal batteries was not an issue with crawlers.

Does my TXT need to go on a diet?
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
The Wheels Keep Turning

i noticed an improvement when i lightened my rig. The stick chassis with lipoly's is probably the lightest rig around. But others have found that they like the weight. I believe it mostly depends on the terrain. Flat terrain more weight is ok. More vertical stuff, less weight is better.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have to agree with Kevin on the weight, My first crawler weighed 20lbs, my current one weighs right at 8lbs last time I checked w/ Ni-Mh, there is no comparison. The switch to the small pack made a noticeable difference on the steep sections that I have never been able too get before.
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

looks good how much does the lipoly system cost?
xmaxxboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Now this is cool. I have been gone for a few months from crawling. I got into the palnes, especially the electric. I know a good bit about the lipos and also on our forums, we run test on just about every lipo thats out. Could you tell me how many amps the lathe motors are pulling? I was wondering about the clods too if anyone knows about what 2 of them would pull. Thanks, Jeff
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

with one lathe motor, i would get a battery that could take at least 30 amps continuous for all the stalling time. 40 amp continuous would be safer. it might be on the safe side, but the packs will last MUCH longer.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote