Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Venom Fireball 15T Double Wound Modified Motor on AX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Venom Fireball 15T Double Wound Modified Motor on AX10?

Would I be able to use this motor in my AX10 to get more speed? I currently have the stock 27T and a Moped V16R ESC.

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...T1&log_pid=yes

Last edited by jmbones; 07-15-2008 at 11:28 AM.
jmbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Your link does not work. In fact it claims a hack attempt. Double check it.
Rooney7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Try it now, it's just a link to the motor on CPE's site...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That works. I'm sure that the motor would increase your speed, my question is why do you want more speed? Have you looked into regearing it for more speed? I personally prefer power over speed for crawling purposes but to each his own.
Rooney7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

It is for a custom 1/6 project I am doing. It is more of a scale truck, not a crawler. I'm currently using the Axial drive train and trans with the stock 27T motor, 87T spur and 20T pinion. It is quite fast now, but I'd like to see it faster. Sometimes I prefer to remove the front drive shaft and do donuts in the dirt. Other times I want to bash around in 4x4.

How much of a difference would a different size spur make? Would it need to be higher or lower?

Last edited by jmbones; 07-15-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

not much of a "crawler"

but if you are looking for speed
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #7

That isnt a particularly fast motor and of pretty low quality, im something like a truck it'll burn up fairly quickly. If your looking to go faster then gearing up with what you have or a proper race spec 19t will do the trick, that will be alot faster that the Venom motor.
josh_smaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
That isnt a particularly fast motor and of pretty low quality, im something like a truck it'll burn up fairly quickly. If your looking to go faster then gearing up with what you have or a proper race spec 19t will do the trick, that will be alot faster that the Venom motor.
How does the 15T Venom compare to a stock Axial 27T? What would be recommended for a 19T race spec?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #9

I dont know what the axial 27t is like but the Venom probably will be faster for a while but it isnt a rebuildable motor meaning it cant be skimmed therefore theres only so many sets of brushes it can take before burning the comm out, and it wont take that many. For a 19t spec motor the 'Orion V2 19t spec' would be my choice, might have to check the availability in the US, im sure it'll be available but not sure where from.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
RCC Addict

First of all why do you use a Moped over the stock RTR ESC ...that's a poor choice, the stock ESC is way better than the Moped at least go a Sidewinder... what kind of battery are you using?

Speed is not just about changing the motor ...do some more research
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadHunter View Post
Speed is not just about changing the motor ...do some more research
Yep, top nimh cells or lipos will increase the speed alot, as will the right gearing for the motor. A really good ESC will also improve the performance, a castle sidewinder would be a good choice.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The Moped ESC was recommended to me a year ago by Stang Killa as a good starting point when I built my first super. It is low cost and runs fine for me and is all that I need. The one on my super has had no issues so I bought another for my 1/6th project. I do not compete or goto events. Once a month I may get bored and actually have nothing to do so I'll take my truck out in the yard run it for 10 minutes then put it away for another month. I don't need or want top of the line parts.

Also, keep in mind, I built this project from scratch, purchasing or fabricating each part separately as I needed, which is why I never got the stock Axial ESC. The only Axial parts on it are the trans, axles and I just installed the stock 27T because the Integy 55T was not fast enough for my liking. Now I want to be even faster which is why I was asking about the Venom 15T.

My battery is a SMC 6 cell 4200mah that is shared with my super.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #13

Right, are the batteries in a stick pack or soldered up? and what connectors are you using? in crawling the connectors dont really matter but the faster you go the more current you draw so more heat builds up in the places with the most resistance, typhically the connectors. Deans would be your best choice, providing you dont run them already As already said, a 19t spec motor like the orion will be faster than the Venom motor purely out of quality.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Stick with tamiya connectors.

Last edited by jmbones; 07-15-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #15

Ok, if your going to go faster then the higher current draw through the connectors could create to much heat and melt them together, i did this using a 17t motor in a light weight 2wd buggy, i would seriously suggest converting to deans as tamiya connectors are rated at 15A and you will be certainly draining more than that under acceleration with a hotter motor.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

ok first off I can tell you that the moped will not handle the 15t motor. I wouldn't go any lower than the 27t you have with that esc. The mest thing to do if you don't want to go with a new esc is to go down a few teeth on the spur. Say an 85t spur then you can go up a couple more on the pinion like say a 23t. This will get you more speed and not hurt you esc or motor. If you want to go alot faster and don't want to volt up then I would get a new esc (tazer 12t) and get a good 19t spec motor (Trinity Komodo Dragon). these will do the job and won't break the bank!

heres links to them!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=DYN4927
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TRI12003

Last edited by bigflex; 07-15-2008 at 09:56 PM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. Will the Associated 85T spur bolt up with the AX10?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX3101&P=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
ok first off I can tell you that the moped will not handle the 15t motor. I wouldn't go any lower than the 27t you have with that esc. The mest thing to do if you don't want to go with a new esc is to go down a few teeth on the spur. Say an 85t spur then you can go up a couple more on the pinion like say a 23t. This will get you more speed and not hurt you esc or motor. If you want to go alot faster and don't want to volt up then I would get a new esc (tazer 12t) and get a good 19t spec motor (Trinity Komodo Dragon). these will do the job and won't break the bank!

heres links to them!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=DYN4927
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TRI12003
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbones View Post
Thanks for the info. Will the Associated 85T spur bolt up with the AX10?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX3101&P=7
no that won't just bolt up. You would have to drill your own holes.
try this one. Its a 84T but that should be just fine!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS464&P=7
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote