Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Goat???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #1

Default Novak Goat???

I just got my AX-10 together and ready to order my speed control and motor. I thought this would be a easy pick but I been reading some mixed reviews on the Goat. Would this be my best choice? Any other suggestions.
moto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have the goat in my ax10 and i run it on 2 x 3cell 1200 Nimh's saddled on the front axle for comps and a 2s2100 15C lipo on the top plate for playng around.
I must say it is very powerful on 6cells and that's a bonus on a small light rig, also being sensored brushless it is very good at starting with full torque at zero speed (something only brushed and sensored b-less can do, It has great wheel (almost jogging speed) speed on the stock 14t pinion (i run the 18.5t)
i'd even say it's too fast and either a smaller pinoin or the 21.5t would be better.
The brake is POWERED, and the speedy can apply voltage to the motor with out making it spin which effectivley locks it up. This can't be done on brushed as far as i know. The drag brake is VERY STRONG because of the powered field in the motor and can totally lock the motor if you want it to, even on the minimum setting i find it doesn't always roll when i want it to and i have to drive it through decents. (this is my biggest wish for improvement, a lower minimum brake setting)
Other wise it's strong, controlable, efficient and maintenance free
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
support@rc4wd.com

Ive heard lots of complaints on glitching but, I have always been happy with mine. Tons of torque and wheel speed and very responsive due to the sensored motor.
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

LOVE MINE!!! People complain about a rolling type of glitch. I had experienced it but found that it was a radio setup problem, and not a GOAT problem. Set the radio....and set the ESC....then be done with it. Do not play with radio throttle/EPA settings in relation to the throttle after you have set the ESC. I have had great success with mine using the DX3.0 and currently the DX6 radios. I would not get rid of it. My pals with MAMBAs and 3 cell lipos can go faster, but this is CRAWLING not TRAIL RIDING. I rather have great torque, smooth control, and OK wheel speed than have the fastest crawler at the comp.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've had one for almost a year with no problems at all. IMO in the best bang for the buck department makes the Goat a top choice for low speed control and great a wheel speed both all on 7.4 volts. That's a inexpensive combination when you compaire to other combinations with similar preformance. I have driven the the others and for all the monkey business with size, batteries and weight I like my Goat. You should find some one with a Goat and drive one. It's simple low speed controllability and wheel speed and all you need is 7.4 volts to get outstanding preformance what's not to love?

Last edited by Stormin2u; 07-29-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree, the goat is a great esc and since it runs fantastic on 7.2v it is an awesome bang for the buck. My only complaint is the brake is a little hard to get a handle on at first and until you get a good feel for it you may flip on a downhill.
crcoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Default goat

if all your going to do is bash around with it. the goat is one of the best ways to go. if your planning on going to competions. i would go with the mamba max and a good brushed motor. i do have a goat. and now that i am staing to compete i don't like it.
ckmehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The winning rig in the MNRCRC spring summer season with over 40 2.2 trucks was a Goat so I disagree.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Great sytem from Novak, i have two goats and a revised crawler system(early edition) and i love them, they have power on 6 cells to snap stuff, and the smoothness previously stated only brushed motors could enjoy.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have two of them and have had no issues. Good torgue and good wheel speed.
Neil E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I also like the built in 6v BEC Novak provides thats enough power to work a high preformance servo without having to wire in another BEC Just another plus.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I had two goats when I first got into crawling (in two crawlers). They're great systems, especially for the plug and play. They did me really good, especially while I was learning. However, now that I'm building comp rigs, I'm running the mamba max with Holmes Hobbies 35 turn handwound 540 motor on 3S LiPo. I never thought I would go back to a brushed motor, but once you've seen how well these things work it will change your mind completely. I also wish that the goat would accept more battery so I could volt up and gear down more.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I've got a 35T Warrior, MM and CC BEC, 11.1 Lipo in my scaler and I still have the Goat in my comp rid I guess I'm just bacwards.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yep I forgot to mention the 5A 6V reg that will easily supply two high torque digital servos and more....
This is another advantage it has by running a 7.4V supply, the bec can supply a much larger current than an esc that uses 3s lipo supply.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #15

The Goat is the way to go... excellent response. I thought the LIPO was a waste of money. I used a 7cell NIMH, almost 1hr run time, PLENTY of torque.
646260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I just bought one, and I don't understand the comment made earlier about too much drag brake. The default setting is 2 out of 10, and at that setting mine rolls down steep inclines. I am going to program a higher drag brake in mine so it doesn't roll.

I replaced my 45t and stock ax10 esc with it this morning. So far I like it. As much speed as I need, jogging speed, and seems pretty sweet so far-although I haven't done a whole lotta crawling yet.

Just put mine on 4 of 10 and it still rolls down steep and even semi-steep inclines.

--I have the drag brake on 5 and a 17t pinion, and things are working really well now.

Last edited by Master Basher; 08-09-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #17

I really like the GOAT, so much that I have had pain and suffering from it. Here is what i mean:

I bought the GOAT and was running a 2s lipo 2100, 12t pinion and 87 spur. I have the system for about a month and a half, purchased another 2s lipo, both packs being thunder power. I had the new pack charged and plugged into my ESC but not turned on all day sunday, got home and turned on the remote, then turned the on/off switch on and the battery started shooting out smoke and sparks then fire. Destroyed the system. So without knowing the cause, it was under warrenty and it was sent to Novak. Three weeks later it arrived and the notice said that here is a new system and what happened to the previous system is that there was multiple mosphet failure and damage to the motor. Soo, I had to buy new batteries, yes, going with thunder power again, installed the new system and got it ready for the local GTG. Only having the system for 6 days I was a another shop messing around on their rock set up, turned on the system and smoke started pouring out from underneath the body, I unplugged the batt. and to my surprise the on/off switch burned up! Tried to see if bypassing the on/off switch would work and sparks started shooting out of the ESC. Destroyed! So, knowing that it was probably going to be another 3 weeks before I got it back, I decided to buy another GOAT system, this time from another shop while I wait for my other one to return from warrenty. I love the GOAT, hopefully charlie can figure out the problem and maybe this won't happen again.Sorry for the long letter.
KastanPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #18

I really like the GOAT, so much that I have had pain and suffering from it. Here is what i mean:

I bought the GOAT and was running a 2s lipo 2100, 12t pinion and 87 spur. I have the system for about a month and a half, purchased another 2s lipo, both packs being thunder power. I had the new pack charged and plugged into my ESC but not turned on all day sunday, got home and turned on the remote, then turned the on/off switch on and the battery started shooting out smoke and sparks then fire. Destroyed the system. So without knowing the cause, it was under warrenty and it was sent to Novak. Three weeks later it arrived and the notice said that here is a new system and what happened to the previous system is that there was multiple mosphet failure and damage to the motor. Soo, I had to buy new batteries, yes, going with thunder power again, installed the new system and got it ready for the local GTG. Only having the system for 6 days I was a another shop messing around on their rock set up, turned on the system and smoke started pouring out from underneath the body, I unplugged the batt. and to my surprise the on/off switch burned up! Tried to see if bypassing the on/off switch would work and sparks started shooting out of the ESC. Destroyed! So, knowing that it was probably going to be another 3 weeks before I got it back, I decided to buy another GOAT system, this time from another shop while I wait for my other one to return from warrenty. I love the GOAT, hopefully charlie can figure out the problem and maybe this won't happen again.Sorry for the long letter.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KastanPro View Post

So are you are now operating your third Goat System without any problems it's unclear in your post?

Did I see this post quite awhile back or is this your first posting?

What ever happened to the second system?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
So are you are now operating your third Goat System without any problems it's unclear in your post?

Did I see this post quite awhile back or is this your first posting?

What ever happened to the second system?

Yes, I am now running my third system, have not ran it much but should be able to run it some more this weekend and see if anything happens.

Yes, this is a new post.

The second system was sent out this week so if it is like the other r & r it may show up in about three weeks, hopefully not that long.