Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HHH 35T Motor Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HHH 35T Motor Question

I ordered one of these in anticipation of ordering a lipo setup and a Tekin ESC. (I want to go 3s lipo but I have a rooster crawler currently).

After ordering the motor, stuff came up and I have to wait $$ to get the battery set up and speed controller.

Right now I run Elite 1500 6 cell saddle packs, 55T motor and a 17tooth pinion on my stock axial spur.

If I put in the 35T Handwound with a 14 tooth pinion now and continue to run the 1500 (6cell) saddle packs...
- will i get any benefit from the better motor?
- will i get much run time (how much)?
- should i wait to put the motor in?

I have a comp next weekend. I don't want to screw myself with a great motor that I can't keep fed. I may not have much testing time before the comp... but I really want to get the motor going if my batteries will run it worth anything.

Thanks!!!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It really depends on how you drive. It will be more power hungry if you hammer it, and if you use the extra power and wheelspeed the runtime will go down to maybe 20 minutes in a comp situation.

My best advice, try it out before the comp and see how the batteries perform on a fresh charge. If you can stall the motor out without breaking parts your batteries aren't up to the task of your driving with the motor.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
varcor.org

I'm running HH 35T motor(s) in all my comp rigs. If you are heavy on the throttle, expect about 20 minutes like John said. I'm running a HH 8-cell saddle pack on my pre-runner and had to swap batteries after pre-running two of courses. With my 1250mah 3s lipo battery, I was able to run all 3 comp courses and was still reading 11.3v.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It really depends on how you drive. It will be more power hungry if you hammer it, and if you use the extra power and wheelspeed the runtime will go down to maybe 20 minutes in a comp situation.

My best advice, try it out before the comp and see how the batteries perform on a fresh charge. If you can stall the motor out without breaking parts your batteries aren't up to the task of your driving with the motor.
so with the correct voltage and this new motor... I should expect to break parts if I get into a situation that would normally stall me out? Holy Caow I'll need to be more careful.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

with my setup (18t pinion 87t spur, 1400 7.2v 2/3a) I get between 20-25min. run time. As far as breaking parts. geat yourself a slipper setup and tighten it up so it starts to slip when you get into a hard bind.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
with my setup (18t pinion 87t spur, 1400 7.2v 2/3a) I get between 20-25min. run time. As far as breaking parts. geat yourself a slipper setup and tighten it up so it starts to slip when you get into a hard bind.
Good deal... thanks. With my 14t pinion then and 1500 2/3A 6 pack... I'm gonna guess around 30 to 35 minutes. THX
Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
Or dont be a pansy and stay away from the slipper. If it breaks then it needed to be upgraded!!! I am running the HH 35T motor on my rig with 6 cell 1500 MAH battery packs and I get 20-30 minutes of run time most of the time. I am usually hammering on it a lot too. I will be upgrading to 7 cell soon though. I am running the rooster as well. I would like to do lipos but man they are a lot more expensive.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

I'm currently running a 35t handwound from Holmes Hobbies in my Axial. I'm running a 1300 mah 3 cell and get about 25 minutes run time while running in the back yard. During a comp,I push it a little harder and have enough to complete 2 courses..... Always repeak before the finals. I'm geared a little higher than average though. I run 18/81 pinion and spur.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

HH 35t on 8cell 2/3a 1500mah ,Stock gearing 14t-87t
KREEPYHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I run a 35T stock gearing on a ax-10 with a 3s 2100 lipo and can run a 3 course comp and still play around afterwards for a good 20 min. or so..
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I know 7+ volts wont give you the same speed as 11+ volts, but if both batteries were 2100 milliamps, would they give you about the same runtime? I'm going to go ahead and order the lipo charger and a 2S 2100 mah because I still can't afford the ESC for 3 cell yet.

HHH's website says their 2100 mah 2S battery is good for the 35T motor... just curious if the runtime would be as good as what sddill gets.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I know 7+ volts wont give you the same speed as 11+ volts, but if both batteries were 2100 milliamps, would they give you about the same runtime? I'm going to go ahead and order the lipo charger and a 2S 2100 mah because I still can't afford the ESC for 3 cell yet.

HHH's website says their 2100 mah 2S battery is good for the 35T motor... just curious if the runtime would be as good as what sddill gets.
no they won't be the same. It should be compareable to a 7.2 nimh with the same rate. It will be a little better though. The thing with the higher votage is that in most cases you won't be giving it full throttle as often as you would with the 7.4v. So you get longer run times because you have more juice on hand.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #13

Or you will have less runtime because you use more throttle and wheelspeed than before
Old 08-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #14

I run a 35T HHH and a 8 cell 1500 pack with 14t and 84t. I get around 30 -35 min with it and I think it's because I don't use all the power of the 35t very often. Also the slipper was the best thing I did, no more broken parts! Well at least the powered parts.
RJD4CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

WOW. Nothing but great things to say about this motor. I put it in before the comp and was only able to get in some couch crawling for practice, but I'm glad I put it in.

There were at least 4 or 5 places throughout the courses where I would have been screwed had it not been for the extra wheelspeed from this motor. And as an added bonus... the extra torque makes the Rooster brake work MUCH better. I had to adjust my radio to get smooth slow starts, but no big deal at all.

My favorite motor moment in the comp was on the first course of the day. I was #3 to run it and the gate was just past and below a 2 foot undercut pointed ledge. The only way to clear the gate was to jump off the ledge, land on a down slope and hope you didn't bust the next gate. The wheelspeed allowed me to launch and land flat and the brake stopped me cold on the down slope. I really looked like I knew what I was doing (even though my friends knew better)

Thanks for a great motor and answering my questions before I bought.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #16

No problems, glad you enjoy it!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

John, I have nothing but good things to say about the motors as well. As you know, I started out with one just to try it because I was used to loving the pwer and runtime of brushless, but now that I'm seriously getting into the comps I wanted something that was SUPER smooth and reliable. If anyone is wondering how I like my 35 turn/mamba setup, I'm absolutely in love. I sold two mint condition Novak Goat systems because I like these so much better for comp crawling. I also have a crawlmaster motor and a cobalt puller, and I can't praise the Holmes Hobbies motors and electronics enough. The only thing better than the Holmes motors, is John Robert Holmes' customer service. The things that he's done to show me that he cares for his customers have made me a holmes hobbies customer for life. As a vendor, customer service is not something that I take lightly, because I pride myself in providing the best customer service in the industry. When someone meets my high standards and exceeds all my expectations like John has, it's a special person running that business.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #18

OK I went on the HH web site and could not find a motor that said it was a 35turn.. Can some one tell me what the web site motor is you are talking a bought.
Thanks
1v6pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

go to motors, click on brushed motors, then handwound 540, then you can choose what turn motor you want. i believe the 35 t is out of stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v6pony View Post
OK I went on the HH web site and could not find a motor that said it was a 35turn.. Can some one tell me what the web site motor is you are talking a bought.
Thanks
ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #20

Thank you...
1v6pony is offline   Reply With Quote