Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Frustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Frustrated

Well I am finally ready to drive my TXT but can't get the radio/esc problems sorted out. I am hesitant to mess too much as the stuff is so expensive and I have read all the threads and heard horror stories of servos catching fire, esc's melting etc. Here's what I've got.

TXT, Novak 6.5 HV Brushless system, (2) Hiec 5955tg servos. The novak BEC supplies 6.0V at 3Amps. I am getting intermittent response from the esc when i bench test this thing, and then all of a a sudden it "takes off" and I loose all throttle control (bench test w/ no tires so no damage so far). When I disconnect the ESC and use an RX pack the servos respond fine so I don't think that is the issue.

So... can the Novak BEC handle the two high torque servos or is that robbing the ESC of too much power thus causing the glitches and control loss? Novak manual says I can run a standard rx pack and use that on/off switch as long as the ESC power switch stays off. Is this safe? and will it give me more consistent power to the servos and ESC? or.. should I try the mod discussed in other threads and split the bec to the esc and the servos on an rx pack.

Sorry for the long post. I really want to drive this thing. Thanks.
ntemple46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That is too much servo for the BEC. Either get a BEC with more power or run an RX pack, thse are my suggestions.

What radio (rx) are you running?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I am running a DX3 with a SR3000 RX. When you say to get an RX pack. Do I run everything on it, or do the mod and split the system with a BEC and an RX? Next question. If I run it all on an RX pack do I have to disconnect the BEC or anything, or just leave the ESC switch OFF and the rest takes care of itself.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I would go with a Castle Creations BEC over a RX pack.

The RX pack is a bunch of added weight, and more batteries to worry about keeping properly charged so they don't go out on you at the wrong time.

You can order a CC BEC through JRH at www.holmeshobbies.com , and for an added couple of bucks, he can program it to the servo voltage you want to run, then once you install it, you can forget it. The BEC is small, super light, and you never have to think about it again..............and don't have to worry about the charge status of your RX pack.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

OK, so if I add a CC BEC from Holmes, do I leave the Novak BEC in place for the ESC and use the new one just for the servos? This BEC thing is new to me. I have never had big servos before so hadn't encountered this problem. John, let me know what you think when you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I would go with a Castle Creations BEC over a RX pack.

The RX pack is a bunch of added weight, and more batteries to worry about keeping properly charged so they don't go out on you at the wrong time.

You can order a CC BEC through JRH at www.holmeshobbies.com , and for an added couple of bucks, he can program it to the servo voltage you want to run, then once you install it, you can forget it. The BEC is small, super light, and you never have to think about it again..............and don't have to worry about the charge status of your RX pack.
X2.

The CC BEC is theee best option.

Just pull the red wire from the ESC's rx plug and shrink tube/tape it back so it won't make contact. Shrink tube is the best way I think. Some just cut the red wire. I feel pulling it from the plug is best. That way,if you ever wanna use the factory BEC circuit,it's easy to plug in and no repairs to the wires are needed.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote