RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Enough power for Dig and Steering Servos ? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/130810-enough-power-dig-steering-servos.html)

BoredGord 08-10-2008 01:20 PM

Enough power for Dig and Steering Servos ?

k still kinda new to building these things so my question is thus...

I have a Rooster Crawler ESC and it has an internal BEC rated at 6 which is enough for my steering servo (hitec HS-7975) If I want to install a smaller servo to operate a dig unit what would be the optimal way to power it? ie: would I install an external BEC that only powers the 2nd servo or perhaps have the external one power the main and have the internal one from the ESC for the dig?

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Scattman 08-10-2008 01:37 PM

You should just get an external BEC and run all the servos with it. That would be easiest. I would strongly recommend the Castle unit.

You could probably get by with the internal bec but with the Castle unit you could actually up the voltage a little and get some more power to your servos.

Trugg 08-10-2008 02:27 PM

Just get a BEC...I won't run a crawler without one.

Reflection 08-10-2008 02:41 PM

IMHO,there's currently no ESC on the market that has a BEC strong enough for a crawler. Sure,some will work the steering decent. There will be times that the servo will require more than the BEC will push and you won't be able to turn. Now,add another servo for front dig and that will increase the chance or times this will happen.

IMHO,a Castle BEC is needed for any crawler. You can adjust what power your servo's get and it's constant,no matter what the tires are up against. With the right servo,if the tires won't move,the servo will move the truck."thumbsup"

hairba11 08-10-2008 02:59 PM

I have run into issues with the castle bec not powering the radio when i plug it in.
my solution has been a regular servo Y with the servo plugged into one output,
the CC BEC plugged into the other output with the signal wire removed from the plug
and the Y input plugged into the steering channel of the radio with the positive power lead disconnected.

I run the radio and the dig off the ESC's BEC, and run steering off the CC BEC.

seems to work so far.

Reflection 08-10-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairba11 (Post 1297175)
I have run into issues with the castle bec not powering the radio when i plug it in.
my solution has been a regular servo Y with the servo plugged into one output,
the CC BEC plugged into the other output with the signal wire removed from the plug
and the Y input plugged into the steering channel of the radio with the positive power lead disconnected.

I run the radio and the dig off the ESC's BEC, and run steering off the CC BEC.

seems to work so far.

My radio gets it's power from the batteries in the grip. Never figured we'd see a crawler with a tether cord for the radio.

Stormin2u 08-10-2008 05:42 PM

I'm running 2 servos (Hitec 5955 and 225) without a external BEC with my Noval Goat ECS and handles it without any problems at all.

xirtic 08-10-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin2u (Post 1297316)
I'm running 2 servos (Hitec 5955 and 225) without a external BEC with my Noval Goat ECS and handles it without any problems at all.

Goat here as well....Steering with a Hitec 5955 (333 oz) and Dig with a Cirrus 751 (181 oz)...NO problems at all with power.

hairba11 08-10-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorman57 (Post 1297198)
My radio gets it's power from the batteries in the grip. Never figured we'd see a crawler with a tether cord for the radio.

oh, pardon me, radio receiver, y'know, the r/x you don't get at the pharmacy :-P

although I have thought about the ol' wire controlled approach,
no more expensive radios, no more interference or glitching, electronics are all in your hand so you don't have to worry about waterproofing the rig. I'm not really more than 5 feet away from it most of the time anyway....

Reflection 08-10-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin2u (Post 1297316)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xirtic (Post 1297319)
Goat here as well....Steering with a Hitec 5955 (333 oz) and Dig with a Cirrus 751 (181 oz)...NO problems at all with power.

Since they are having good luck and the Goat and Rooster has the same BEC,it sounds like it'll work good. If you feel the need for a better BEC,here's the specs for the ESC'S and the CCBEC. You can always add it later.

BEC specs for all in question.....

Rooster ESC....BEC: 6.0V/5.0A
Goat ESC..... BEC: 6.0V/5.0A
CC BEC.......

Current Output:Peak: 10 amps
Continuous: <12 volts input = 7 amps* <24 volts input = 5 amps
Output Voltage: Output 5.1 volts out of the package, user may set output voltage from 4.8 to 9 using the Castle Link(sold separately).

BoredGord 08-11-2008 01:20 AM

So the castle BEC can be setup to have 6v to the steer servo and 4.3and/or6 to the dig with the link cable? If so is the link cable proprietary or can I use my Xcelorin cable to access it?

AreCee 08-11-2008 06:34 AM

No. The Castle BEC can be set up to run 5.1 volts and up in 1/10th volt increments but it only will supply ONE voltage so if you set it at 6 volts that's what you get only 6 volts. You can only use the Castle Link to program it.

Reflection 08-11-2008 06:37 PM

I think,if you wanted to,you could run 2 CC BEC's so you could run 2 different voltages. Might be kinda tricky to wire up. I'm not possitive but I think it'd work. I've seen guys with Clods run 2 CC BEC's. Kinda silly though if both servo's will handle 6v.... Just set it at 6v and be done with it.:lol: Some servo's will handle 7.2 volts,if yours will,set it at 7 volts and wake them up a bit"thumbsup"

BoredGord 08-11-2008 10:42 PM

yeah I think it makes most sense to run 2 at 6v. after doing some reading. I think I'll grab a castle BEC for this setup and another for the rig I'm going to build with my pile of spare parts.

edit - I've only had a crawler for less then 2 weeks but I'm amazed at how close I am to having replaced the stock axial kit already, I maybe should have just bought it piece-meal

929freak 08-17-2009 08:12 PM

the xcelorin cable is the same cable that comes with the castle bec..I use the same cable for the castle bec,my xcelorin and my wifes Blackberry.

indiana mudcat 08-17-2009 09:54 PM

i run the goat on 2s lipo with a 8711. steering has never dropped out but the speed control gets real hot real fast and the motor only gets warm leading me to think the cc bec is still needed, esp when i add a dig servo.