Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: saddle pack li-po?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default saddle pack li-po???

Any body have a good source for one? I dont want to change my servo 4-link mount.

looking for 20c 11.1v and atleast 1300 mah... or am I dreaming?

Thanks -Youngblood

Last edited by youngblood; 09-02-2008 at 01:52 PM.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Maxamps is the only company I know of that builds them. It would be at least a 5 or 6p pack.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Any body have a good source for one? I dont want to change my servo 4-link mount.

looking for 20c 11.1v and atleast 1300 mah... or am I dreaming?

Thanks -Youngblood

I believe that the MaxAmps one is 7.4v.
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...le-Pack&cat=82

It would be cool if they did one in 11.1v.

I so wanted Lipo up front, and I wanted to keep my TCS 4-Link Servo Mount. My answer was to build a 1/8" thick Lexan Servo/Battery Plate similar to the AXIAL plate that is available for purchase (1" x 5"). This plate is thin enough to not really raise the CoG due to servo/battery mounting height, yet strong enough to support the servo without flex. The new plate overlays the existing Servo 4-Link servo mount. I wish that I had a pic handy as I just built this a week ago. I used 5/16" delrin standoffs on the ends. I only had to use screws that were 1/8" longer to maintain the strength while holding down the new plate. I am running an E-flite 1250mah 20C 7.4v pack on this plate with a Hitec 5955tg servo. E-flite makes a 11.1v pack of the same footprint that would also fit this application. I hope that my explaination of this solution makes sense. I will try to get a pic IF I can snake the camera from the wife.

Last edited by xirtic; 08-21-2008 at 04:49 AM.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
What about this one?

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-2200-111-Saddle.htm
jbrentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Wow, that's actually quite dinky, I like it O'course it's actually 6 cells in parallel pairs (I think) to make up what is effectively a 2200 3 Cell LiPo Sweet idea though.
BritCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritCrawler View Post
Wow, that's actually quite dinky, I like it O'course it's actually 6 cells in parallel pairs (I think) to make up what is effectively a 2200 3 Cell LiPo Sweet idea though.
I noticed it had two balance plugs. I am in the early learning stages of lipos, but will the hyperion 0606i's balancer work with two balance plugs?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrentd View Post

That is BIG per side if that is a Saddle Pack. 66mm = 2.6" long and 34mm = 1.25" wide. how are you going to mount one on each side if the total useable space between thewheels on the axle is 5" - 5.5"?? Where would the servo fit? I must be missing something.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That is BIG per side if that is a Saddle Pack. 66mm = 2.6" long and 34mm = 1.25" wide. how are you going to mount one on each side if the total useable space between thewheels on the axle is 5" - 5.5"?? Where would the servo fit? I must be missing something.
I hadn't got that far. That's why I asked.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrentd View Post
That is sweet, but I dont think it would quite fit...

I see they have an 860 mah 11.1, but I feel like run time would only be a couple minutes. I want something between 860 and 2200... Maybe I can try to make one out of two 1320 thunderpowers.

Thanks for the link
Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I've been looking for similar for a while but it seems the shape of lipo's is flat and thin it mush be something to do with needing a large surface area for capacity or current delivery or something.
There just doesn't seem to be little short square thick lipos.
you're looking at 2.5" min for a decent capacity.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Since you asked about short thick lipos:

This is the smallest battery that I've been able to find. I don't know what motor your running and if it will provide the current needed. I used it with my goat just because it was so tiny and it provided the power without getting hot. It's a little bit bigger than a 9 volt battery but not much. You might could have these made into a saddle pack.
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1290-111-Pack.htm

I really like the idea that xirtic built, just make a battery/servo plate that fits right over the 4 link plate. Another option would be to fabricate some brackets like someone did with the servo/battery tray on here (I think it's Bender's mod??) where the servo is all the way to one side and the LiPo is mounted at an angle to accomodate a longer battery. For a saddle pack, you could fabricate some brackets to mount the batteries at an angle and get some more length to work with, but t would also slightly raise the COG.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Hey guys,

Currently the 860 saddle pack that we have is the only one out there that will fit on a front axle with out issues. I still use mine with a 55T lathe motor with no issues but I would go with anything beyond that motor size. As for making any other Li-Po saddle packs to fit it's pretty tuff. When you increase capacity and C rating the cells get bigger in size. We can make saddle packs out of our 1100 cell but the issue again is a clean place to put them. It's tuff. My GC2 Comp rig uses an aluminum tray that hangs behind the font axle from the link/servo mount. It rides right over the drive shaft with no issues and I can run either a 3S 1100 or even a 3S 1550 on it. It's no higher than the top of the servo at the back and the front of the pack is well below the servo keeping the weight down low and yet towards the front of the rig. I can run run a whole comp day 3 to 4 courses with out changing a pack and still have time to play after words, ya' know try those gates you missed during the comp.

Best regards,

Jason

PS: And remember I'm here if you have questions just PM me or Catch me on our Live Support at www.maxamps.com
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You wont find anything with a good capacity and that will work well. Anything that may fit will be too small and just not deliver enough power or be crappy cells. Stick with Nimh and dont go with lipo... just for the sake of going lipo. I don't use lipos only because I can keep my Nimh's lower in my crawlers and there is nothing out there that is good that will fit and work well

I am running an 8 cell Elite2000 saddle on the front of my comper and it works awesome. The Elite1500's are the best cell in the 2/3A's hands down aswell so that would be a good choice too. But if you want a good lipo it will pry have to be something that mounts in a tray, and The Thunder Power/Hyperion/Polly Quest/Polly RC 1320mah batteries would be your best bet for quality, reliability and power. Or if you want a little more the Elite2200's 30C would be great too. Those are the best cell of their size out there.

Hope that helps. Also in my signature there is a link to a writeup I did on some good tips for buying batteries.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesTheMan View Post
Since you asked about short thick lipos:

This is the smallest battery that I've been able to find. I don't know what motor your running and if it will provide the current needed. I used it with my goat just because it was so tiny and it provided the power without getting hot. It's a little bit bigger than a 9 volt battery but not much. You might could have these made into a saddle pack.
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-1290-111-Pack.htm

I really like the idea that xirtic built, just make a battery/servo plate that fits right over the 4 link plate. Another option would be to fabricate some brackets like someone did with the servo/battery tray on here (I think it's Bender's mod??) where the servo is all the way to one side and the LiPo is mounted at an angle to accomodate a longer battery. For a saddle pack, you could fabricate some brackets to mount the batteries at an angle and get some more length to work with, but t would also slightly raise the COG.
3S3P???? so there are 9 x 430mAh cells stacked in one of those packs!
That's the closest thing i've seen to a saddle pack in lipo but it's still 2" long and by the time i put two of them on my crawler i'm at 222g for battery's that's heavier and phisically larger than my 8 cell 1500 elite's. I understand that it would be higher capacity and higher voltage but i'm looking for a weight reduction compared to NiMH, i suppose i could just run one pack on one side but then it's only 1290mAh and it's harder to fit than the 1.25" cube of the 2/3A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
You wont find anything with a good capacity and that will work well. Anything that may fit will be too small and just not deliver enough power or be crappy cells. Stick with Nimh and dont go with lipo... just for the sake of going lipo. I don't use lipos only because I can keep my Nimh's lower in my crawlers and there is nothing out there that is good that will fit and work well

I am running an 8 cell Elite2000 saddle on the front of my comper and it works awesome. The Elite1500's are the best cell in the 2/3A's hands down aswell so that would be a good choice too. But if you want a good lipo it will pry have to be something that mounts in a tray, and The Thunder Power/Hyperion/Polly Quest/Polly RC 1320mah batteries would be your best bet for quality, reliability and power. Or if you want a little more the Elite2200's 30C would be great too. Those are the best cell of their size out there.

Hope that helps. Also in my signature there is a link to a writeup I did on some good tips for buying batteries.
I will stick to elite1500 x 8c for my stick as there's no chassis to mount big lipo's on, and i'm trying to go low cg anyway.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I personally don't run lipo on my front axle at all. Not enough space to hold the power I need for my motors generally, just not enough space. Heck, I can't even run 2/3a nimh and get top performance- I need a high rate lipo on the chassis.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
I believe that the MaxAmps one is 7.4v.
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...le-Pack&cat=82

I so wanted Lipo up front, and I wanted to keep my TCS 4-Link Servo Mount. My answer was to build a 1/8" thick Lexan Servo/Battery Plate similar to the AXIAL plate that is available for purchase (1" x 5"). This plate is thin enough to not really raise the CoG due to servo/battery mounting height, yet strong enough to support the servo without flex. The new plate overlays the existing Servo 4-Link servo mount. I wish that I had a pic handy as I just built this a week ago. I used 5/16" delrin standoffs on the ends. I only had to use screws that were 1/8" longer to maintain the strength while holding down the new plate. I am running an E-flite 1250mah 20C 7.4v pack on this plate with a Hitec 5955tg servo. E-flite makes a 11.1v pack of the same footprint that would also fit this application. I hope that my explaination of this solution makes sense. I will try to get a pic IF I can snake the camera from the wife.

Here is a pic of the finished configuration. This was taken yesterday at a competition in Central, IL. Nothing rubs....nothing broke. This setup works like a charm. In the photo you can see the stand-offs, the thickness of the plate over the existing 4 link, and the placement of the battery/Servo. I hope that this helps.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I went against my original plan, and now I'm glad I did. I cut out and bent up a plate that holds my battery, servo, and 4-link mounts. It works very well, and no rubbing. I competed with it today and it worked great.