Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Glitching caused by lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Glitching caused by lights

I'm working on a scale rig and I just put in the Yeah Racing 6 slot LED kit powered off of the RX and when I switch through the different flashing modes, the truck glitches really bad. The tires spin forward and backwards and the steering servo goes back and forth. I have the line for the lights run away from the other wires and am using a TQ3 and Rooster Crawler ESC. Anyone got any ideas about how to fix this?
txrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

hmm not good. not sure of there is a cap or resister you can plug in to help out.

there area few lighting controllers out there that would work with a 3rd channel and should elimiate the buz/glithching, as well as allow you to operate them remotely from your 3rd channel if you have a 2p option on channel 3.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I was wondering about the 3rd channel switch as well for turning them on and off. But the first priority is the glitching. It's pretty bad. Any other ideas?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I also got the glitches after installing another servo for the dig in my Ax10 with the rooster. Charlie form Novak was very helpful and suggested the Glitch buster from Novak.

Copy from his mail:
"BEC won’t help, a receiver cap might though.
I’ve been finding that the Main battery pack voltage under big loads (dual servos and a Stalled motor) will dip pretty low and can cause some “blips” or Burps in the RX signals.
The capacitor sort of helps keep the RX awake during these so called Brown Outs. Adding a BEC would actually add a bit more load, and overall in-efficiency. Try the cap first, it’s simpler and cheaper."

I went out and bought a 4700 uf 16v (Novak's is a 10v, local shop only had 16v) capacitor and soldered it onto some rx pack wires, plugged it in and voila: no more glitching.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I beg to differ on the bec wont help issue, I have lighting setup on my cr01 via ch3 switching-futaba 3pm-, even without any steering/throttle inputs and just turning on my lighting I got alittle glitch, I added a cc bec and the glitching is gone, even when I was not using the lighting I still had some slight glitching just on steering inputs.
A cc bec takes power direct from the pack to power the rx/servo's etc, this is way better then trying to power everything thru the rx via the esc, and if you esc does not have a high bec ouput your way better off getting a cc bec then just adding caps, the cc bec is a nice thing to have.
I run the bec in either way I run my cr01, lighting and no rear steer or rear steer and no lighting, even with a 2 high torque servos putting out just under 400oz never a glitch, plus the cc bec allows you set adjust rx voltage if you get the programming cable/interface, and yes I set the cc bec to 5v just to see if it's just a voltage issue, even at 5v same as my esc output no glitching when turning or lighting usage.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Do ya'll think it could be a grounding problem? If so, what would be the fix for that? I tried plugging it into the battery slot on the rx and it didn't help.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think your prob drawing more current/ then your bec is putting out,or your voltage is so unstable, I have a lighting kit that runs pwm to have varied brake lights, get a cc bec you'll be happy, plus you can up the voltage and have more then enough current.
The more I though about it the caps may work, but they be covering up a bigger problem or you may be getting rf interference, you should isolate your lighting kit away from your gear and see if your still getting the problem also checking your voltage and see if it's dropping of or spiking when using your lighting kit and go from there.

Last edited by Joat; 08-25-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

While I think the CC Bec might help, you allready have a 6v bec on your Rooster. Try disconnecting the motor wires and use just the servo and lights. My problem with two servos and the Rooster esc was not the insuffient bec but the roosters capability to power the rx when under load. The bec might help here but the spectrum capacitor is only like $7 and the novaks is $10, CC bec and the cable is about $45-50. And if like me you have some extra servo connectors a 4700uf cap is $1-2. If it doesnt help you are not out of a lot of money. In my case it helped.

Last edited by trainer; 08-25-2008 at 06:27 AM.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote