Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How much current do 5955's use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How much current do 5955's use?

So I upgraded my ax10 from a $30 steering servo to a 5955 and also added rear steer with another 5955. Works good till I get those servos under load and the RX shuts off.

OK, well my ar7000 has been beaten on a little bit and the bec connector is a little loose. (Medusa BEC from my trex 450 heli). So I plug it into another channel instead of the batt. Didn't solve the problem.

OK, lets workaround the BEC and reconnect the red wire to our super rooster. Same issue. Starting to get annoyed at this point but lets keep working through.

Grab my good ole eagle tree data logger, now my problem is staring me in the face. My BEC is 3.5A, the SR has a 3A BEC, my 5955's are maxing the current standing still.

Is this normal for the hitec 5955's, what current do they sit at and what do they peak at NORMALLY. Mine seem high, but maybe thats a side effect of huge torque.

I'm thinking that a $25 CC BEC 10A (in reality probably a 7A) will solve the problem if the current is indeed normal for these servos. As both my servos are using the same current I would assume this is normal (current is between 3.5 and 4A at idle) but I would appreciate if someone could confirm this for me.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file...IFICATION..pdf
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If they are buzzing, they are pulling current. You will almost need two CC BECs for two servos. They can stall 7a each pretty easily although your vehicle may not be heavy enough to make both stall.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If they are buzzing, they are pulling current. You will almost need two CC BECs for two servos. They can stall 7a each pretty easily although your vehicle may not be heavy enough to make both stall.
7A each of stall current? That doesn't jive with their published data I linked in my post above yours. Any guess as to why their specs are only 4.2A @ 6V for stall current?
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Because that is what they are rated at, not what they will necessarily pull. I have made mine pull over 5a each just wiggling them fast. Of course my magnets could have been damaged and weak, causing higher amp draw.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #6

I tested my super with a eagletree datalogger.

Specs: 2x5955tg, 1xCCBEC, 3S LIPO

Stalling one servo produced a constant amp draw of 2 (2.11) amps and stalling two drew 4 (3.72) amps. That is the amp draw on the battery. That is on 12V, before the BEC. So Hitec's spec of 4A on 6V sounds about right.

If You are running 2S or 6cells nimh then two bec's might be a good idea, but on higher voltage one will be all You need. I would even say it is REQUIRED when using these servos
antikas is offline   Reply With Quote