Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Drop 5 turns =HOT ESC?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Drop 5 turns =HOT ESC?!

I just finished a scaler the other day with an integy 50turn v10, Mamba Max, and 3s Lipo geared at 15/87. I run the same setup in my 2.2 comp rig but with a 55T and 13/87 gearing.
I was testing it yesterday (It was about 90 outside) and got thermal shutdown a few times after about 10 or 15 minutes of mild wheeling/crawling.
I loosened the mesh up a bit, and took th e lid off the water box and it seems okay EXCEPT the ESC seems to run considerably hotter than it does on my much heavier comper. my comper runs about 110 (ballpark guess lol) And the scaler is considerably hotter i.e. uncomfortably warm to the touch.
Why such a difference in temps with a minor change like that, and is there a way to fix?
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon7 View Post
I just finished a scaler the other day with an integy 50turn v10, Mamba Max, and 3s Lipo geared at 15/87. I run the same setup in my 2.2 comp rig but with a 55T and 13/87 gearing.
I was testing it yesterday (It was about 90 outside) and got thermal shutdown a few times after about 10 or 15 minutes of mild wheeling/crawling.
I loosened the mesh up a bit, and took th e lid off the water box and it seems okay EXCEPT the ESC seems to run considerably hotter than it does on my much heavier comper. my comper runs about 110 (ballpark guess lol) And the scaler is considerably hotter i.e. uncomfortably warm to the touch.
Why such a difference in temps with a minor change like that, and is there a way to fix?
You went to a taller gear,that'll raise temps also.

Who wound the 50t? Are ALL the winds tight? If the winds are loose or one arm is not the same count,it could become off balance. I'm pretty sure that'll cause heat.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
x2

go to the 13 or even down 2 ( 11tooth ) more would be my idea
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post

Who wound the 50t? Are ALL the winds tight? If the winds are loose or one arm is not the same count,it could become off balance. I'm pretty sure that'll cause heat.
Who knows; some person at Integy. I'll check it out, but 2 teeth and 5 winds causes the MM to shut down? Would a fan help? I've got a Nocak fan and was thinking about uding a top of a 1 liter bottle as a water proof case, mounting the fan in the top of the neck. It could be a sib if I jus tput the cap on and turn off the fan. Ya think that would work? I don't want to smoke a 120 dollar ESC
Old 08-24-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hi i run basically the exact setup in my F350 Hybrid scaler with Axial Tranny running 14/87 gearing, 3 cell lipo and 55t motor, but i also run a 50 turn V10 motor in my comper . I dont get any heat watsoever. Might i suggest swapping motors from your comper to scaler to see if there is any difference, and if so, maybe check for a screw stuck inside the motor, or when motor is out, see how free the whole driveline spins. I even have my MM fully enclosed with the scaler and was giving a good flogging on the 3 cell lipo for a good hour or so, without any shutdown or cutout.
1 more thing to check will be the timing mark on the v10 motor. Is it set at +10 deg advanced as per named, or could it be even more advanced? This will also cause overheating. Hope this helps

Frank
ford mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #6

gearing is som i do know and ya, down a few, just like runin a normal r/c car in tall grass, gona bog it and get stuff hot.
qwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Just did a scale comp today and the darned thing kept shutting off. I opened the splash case and it still did it. The 50 looked good inside and was timed 0 so for trial I switched to my 55, it did it a few times more but I found if I tapped reverse it would work normally after that. The 50 didn't do that. No recovery from shutdown except time.I had to do the reverse tap a few more times and then it just started working fine for the rest of the day. Wierd!!
I was chatting with a few guys at the comp and one said at 12.5 volts, the BEC on the MM is working really hard building up heat. They said a CC BEC would cool it down and I have noticed that on the comp rig. I'm still trying to figure out where the Gremlins went to.
I'm stumped. Just a tap of the reverse and it's fine. another said maybe after some of the battery's voltage dropped below 12V or so it just handled things easier. Many there were running similar setups sealed in blloons and what not and have never had the problems I'm describing.
Any one else have any input or theories/experience with this situation?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

getting a CC BEC should help. I have heard the the CC esc's have weak bec's anyway. It would be a win win. Get better power to your servo and less draw from the esc.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote