Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 11v or better motor?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 11v or better motor?????

Im looking at upgrading a few things on my axial, which would be more worthwhile? Im already using 2c lipo's with 45t Integy, 12t pinion and R2D. Is there a noticeable differance between the motor im using to a handwound lathe job or am i better off going to 11v?? Cheers.
1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

There is a noticeable difference between a handwound motor and a machine wound. If you've got the money, there's a huge difference between a machine wound and one of Holmes' cobalt pullers (best on the market if you ask me). A better motor will not only give you more torque, but also give you better low speed control and startup. As for stepping up to 11.1, yes it's better. You can gear down more while maintaining the same wheelspeed, which means more torque. I have smoked more motors on 11.1 though, the higher voltage gives you considerably more wattage. I'd say do both eventually, but if I had to choose, I'd choose a better motor just for the startup.

Just for an example of why the puller is the best motor on the market, I had my WK running a 10t cobalt with about a 32:1 final gear ratio, and it still had more torque than a JP custom's 35t warrior (an excellent motor in it's own right) at 45:1, both on 11.1. Oh, and the puller was insanely fast. Half the runtimes from the same battery though...
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for that. I still wanted a decent run time so probably go for a handwound, maybe a V11 50t or a new HH handwound motor. Or if someone else has a suggestion im more than happy to hear thoughts. Cheers.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff40 View Post
Im looking at upgrading a few things on my axial, which would be more worthwhile? Im already using 2c lipo's with 45t Integy, 12t pinion and R2D. Is there a noticeable differance between the motor im using to a handwound lathe job or am i better off going to 11v?? Cheers.

First of all ,what are you trying to achieve?????

If you go 3s you will get almost double the power and wheel speed that you are getting now ...

Either way you will feel a difference , what motor did you have in mind?
What ESC are you using?
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

2 cell lipo,your only running 7.4 volts. You'd notice a decent jump going to 7 or 8 cell 2/3 a's. The R2 trannies are geared to low IMHO. I ran a 18t pinion in mine and felt it was still to slow. If it were me,I'd go up to the 3 cell lipo regardless. The extra voltage will wake up the 45t a good deal. If your happy with your current gear ratio,it'll be a good deal faster. You could gear down more to achieve a bit more low end grunt while keeping the wheel speed you like.

As far as motors,I LOVE the pullers. No doubt they are the best motor out IMHO. They do like power though. It requires GOOD cells to keep up with their amp draw. I'm currently running a Holmes Hobbies 35t handwound in my 2.2 on a 3 cell. VERY happy with that. Run time is effected greatly by gear ratio,amp draw and how heavy your finger is. No matter what your running,lower gears and lighter fingers will always run longer.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I suppose im looking at the overall differances between going for the better motor or going to 11.1V for better wheelspeed and torque. Im using the Tekin FRX. Yes it is a comp rig but still want to have a decent runtime on social crawls. While im pretty happy with the current setup there's always something that can be improved. Wether it be torque, wheelspeed, driveability etc. While i have 6 lipo 2s batteries i thought i'd ask the question as to if there is a big differance between motors or really need to change to 3s.. Cheers.