Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking to play with Lipo and the big boys..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Nope..

Default Looking to play with Lipo and the big boys..

Looking to go Lipo. I have a Mamba Max and I'm looking to go 4S. I have enough room to stack two Sub C 6 cell stick packs in my battery mounting area, so size isn't much of an issue.. Any suggestions?
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Get a fan and a BEC if you're going to run them in series or your mamba will smoke Wtf are you putting this in? What motor you going to use? Match the battery size to your amp draw. Even if you have room, a over sized battery sucks.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Specs show 2-3S.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Mamba Max will handle 4S, but you will want to vent the case and add a fan to help keep it cool.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Nope..

It's just going to be one single lipo. Right now I'm running 2 6 cell NIMH in series for 14.4V through a 7T Cobalt in my scale truck. And a reciever pack runs the Hitec 805 used for steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Get a fan and a BEC if you're going to run them in series or your mamba will smoke Wtf are you putting this in? What motor you going to use? Match the battery size to your amp draw. Even if you have room, a over sized battery sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
The Mamba Max will handle 4S, but you will want to vent the case and add a fan to help keep it cool.
I've got one ready for it.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Maxamps, Flight power, Thunder power all make good cells. There are plenty of other good cells out there that I have no experience with though. Don't cheap out if you can help it, it sucks having to buy that stuff twice. I've only puffed one battery, which happened when a balance tap ground wire came off and then I tried to balance it I inspect my packs more carefully now before I charge them.

A good charger never hurts. Best one for the money I've found is this: http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...3&cat=7&page=1

I almost think a lot of the fear about lipos is overblown, if you get a battery that can support your application and charge it correctly, you shouldn't have any problem. All batteries are dangerous. I've seen more nimh cells vent than lipos, and even the lead acid battery in your car can explode if not treated properly. Don't be stupid though, I'd say you'll need at the very least 50-60 amp continuous rating, charge it with the proper charger, balance it, and keep an eye on it during charging. Honestly, I'd just buy a 4500-5000 pack. It'll still be lighter than your 2 nimh packs, and you'll get ridiculous run times.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
Looking to go Lipo. I have a Mamba Max and I'm looking to go 4S. I have enough room to stack two Sub C 6 cell stick packs in my battery mounting area, so size isn't much of an issue.. Any suggestions?
I have one of these, its awsome to say the least. http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5000-148-Pack.htm

The esc will be fine but the 7t won't like it.

Last edited by Kamikaze; 09-16-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
I have one of these, its awsome to say the least. http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5000-148-Pack.htm

The esc will be fine but the 7t won't like it.

WHOOO! Go big or go home I guess... What will the 7T not like? The amps? Only .4V more than what I'm doing now.